Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am due to take delivery of an Outlander PHEV next week but B.Gas won’t be installing the 16A charger point for 4 weeks. I believe the car comes with a charger I can plug into a normal 13A socket but only has a 3M cable. I would need to use an extension cable to use it on my driver but someone mentioned I shouldn’t use an extension cable with that type of charger. Can anyone clarify that?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
The lead with the normal 13A plug is normally known as an EVSE. The owner's manual will probably advise you not to use an extension lead. That's because it may not be rated at 13A or you may not fully uncoil it (which would cause overheating). There are other issues to do with where it's plugged into your house ring main and weather protection. If you avoid all these pitfalls and are sensible it shouldn't go awry.

Your thread title asks about using an extension cable with a rapid charger. Rapid chargers, in the Outlander's case, use ChaDeMo tethered leads which cannot be extended.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welcome to Speak EV.

Firstly I'll observe that charging from a 13 Amp socket is the antithesis of a rapid charger - that's about as slow as you can go.

It's not good practice to use an extension cables. Many extension cables aren't rated for 13 Amps. Few extension cables can carry a high continuous current (and definitely not if coiled) and it's easily possible to melt one. You also have a risk because your socket may not be suitably RCD protected. You may also have a risk from dissimilar earthing systems. You may also damage the extension lead going through windows door etc. and the connection between the car manufacturer's cable and the extension cable won't be watertight.

Then you've got the general hazard from trips on the cable, and the security risk from any open door or window.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
You can use an extension cable with your supplied Outlander 13A charging cable but not just any extension cable.

It must be rated for at least 10A "continuous". Many extensions, particularly the cheap ones, are rated 13A max but often only 6A continuous. If it doesn't have a "continuous" rating then don't use it.

Next it must be in good condition with all connections tight and sound. In most cases it will be new but IMO it is still worth making sure the connections are all tight. I have seen lose connections on a new cable. A lose wire in the socket or plug could cause it to heat up and potentially melt or catch fire. This is not just theoretical... I have seen this happen :eek:

Always fully unwind the cable if it is on a spool.

The socket end of the extension is going to be outside so if there is any chance of rain then make sure you use one that is intended for use outside with a waterproof (resistant) socket. In that case, also use an RCD for protection too (you can get these from most DIY stores but again make sure they are rated for 10A continuous or more).

Some extensions come with a RCD already built in which is great but again... watch for the 10A continuous rating.

That is about it. Nothing too complicated. All it needs is a little care to make sure everything is in good condition and able to cope with the high current/long charge times associated with an EV.

It is also worth a quick reminder too to only plug in the cable to a socket that you know is in good condition and ideally on its own circuit back to the consumer unit. You can plug in to a normal ring main socket if you are careful not to overload the ring (i.e. nothing else on it) and you know the wiring and connections are in good condition.

I got an electrician to install a double 3-pin box on the outside of my garage wall. It cost about £100. Well worth it IMO.

I hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some extensions come with a RCD already built in which is great but again... watch for the 10A continuous
I got an electrician to install a double 3-pin box on the outside of my garage wall. It cost about £100. Well worth it IMO.. :)
If plan to get a 13 Amp socket installed to charge a car outdoors then you should be crystal clear with you electrician that you want them to charge a car, otherwise it might reasonably be assumed that the sockets are for garden tools etc. Garden tools are double insulated and additional precautions would apply to electric vehicle charging.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I installed Commando socket at home and bought heavy duty 25m reel rated at 16a continous for 6h. It is very heavy as the cable is same thickness as my small finger. Socket £3 (screwfix), cable reel £10 (stuff4sale), commando -> 3 pin socket £4.50 (rated 16a for 6h; goOutdoors). £17.50 in total. None of the parts even becoming warm at 10a EVSE.
Don't do yourself if you don't know anything regards to electric jobs!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I installed Commando socket at home and bought heavy duty 25m reel rated at 16a continous for 6h. It is very heavy as the cable is same thickness as my small finger. Socket £3 (screwfix), cable reel £10 (stuff4sale), commando -> 3 pin socket £4.50 (rated 16a for 6h; goOutdoors). £17.50 in total. None of the parts even becoming warm at 10a EVSE.
Don't do yourself if you don't know anything regards to electric jobs!
A commando socket at a UK home needs to have an interlocked switch to be legal to BS7671:2008 Amendment 2:2013. If it cost £3 then it won't be.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine still plugs to the IMG_20141018_225642.jpg 3pin socket at home to separate connection made for the oven, landlord said it's capable of 4kw continuos(probably oven, which is measured at 2.2kw+4 hobs)
It's also rated at IP44, so kind a waterproof, kind a..

·
Registered
465 Posts
Can a BS1363 portable ("occasional use") EVSE be connected to a lead that terminates in blue Commando? (To use at caravan parks and the like). The picture above seems like the ideal adapter lead for my EVSE, but instead of the BS1363 plug at that end, I would need a socket?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Just buy a socket from B&Q and change the plug for a socket. If you aren't confident or competent to do it I am sure you know someone who is :)

Be safe though :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well, there is plenty of caravan parks (to charge your ev) in the UK, commando is much better choice from that point of view.
The other one is simple extension cable with one weatherproof end, RCD is handy of course in case of fault

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I have one of the ones with the in-line RCD. I have changed the 3-pin plug for a commando so I can plug in at caravan sites.

Be careful at caravan sites though. Make sure you get the site owners permission. Make sure the circuit into which you plug in can hand 10A continuous. Many caravan hook ups are 10A and so are almost certainly unsuitable. Make sure it is a 16A circuit.

If you get reluctance from the owners offer a couple of quid a night to cover the extra electricity. It has worked for me.

Suggest they might want to install a dedicated charging point such as one from Zero Carbon World.

Finally, don't plug into a 3-pin socket on the van unless you know it can handle the 10A continuous load. Many caravans won't have anything that uses that kind of load and the internal wiring may well be too small.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting thread. Help please! I'm driving to Holland next month in my Leaf and staying in a villa where we always stay. At the villa I intend to charge via an internal or external European two pin socket. I'll take a recommended extension lead with a converter socket at one end for the three pin to two pin and then plug in my "brick" in a waterproof box to the extension lead. Any advice please on what I can take with me? I understand about uncoiling the extension lead.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
At the villa I intend to charge via an internal or external European two pin socket. I'll take a recommended extension lead with a converter socket at one end for the three pin to two pin and then plug in my "brick" in a waterproof box to the extension lead.
Very few schuko adapter plugs will be able to deal with a constant load like charging a car, so in that respect its a bit of a bad idea @nuWorld Energy had been talking about renting schuko and type 3 adapters but I don't know what happened with that? I cannot find the post atm, will update the thread if/when I do.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'll echo the comments above... always uncoil the cable, use a decent quality/looking/known/13A capable extension cable, and keep a close eye on the plug/socket on the cable when you first use it. Also pay close attention to the socket in the garage etc the cable is plugged into. Dodgy connections anywhere will lead to overheating/burning, even fire. Check thoroughly when initially used - but watch out as if there is a fault a cable/plug could get hot. That being said I used an extension cable for a month or so after moving in, and have at family. The best way - as of course you know - is a proper outlet. be it tethered or type 2 socketed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi, just go and buy heavy duty 16amp extension lead and change the plug :) the plug needs to be schuko (not sure did I spell correctly), in theory it can handle 16a continous for a few hours, if not China made.
There are two types of them 2 pin plugs, one is with two pins (similar like shavers has), the other having two pins and additional earth (ground) pin. You can use 2 pin plug everywhere in EU, but not 3 pin one.
I'm abroad at the moment and I'm going to do a picture for you in a minute to show what do I mean.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts