Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,691 Posts
I would be more confident of not damaging my Leaf's electronics if the Leaf's battery +ve was disconnected first. It's a normal 12v battery so can support jump starting. Once the other car has started, leave the donor battery connected for a few minutes to charge it back up, especially if the ICE required a lot of cranking.

Also, if you don't disconnect the battery from the Leaf's wiring, the BMS will start the DC-DC converter when the 12v battery voltage drops. A cranking load on it, may overload the converter as well as draining the LiOn battery more than you'd want. (the BMS is not expecting the 12v battery voltage to drop suddenly to well below 12v so you may have warning messages and fault codes logged)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,156 Posts
Isn't it it the case that the best ICE is an ICE that's not running? So why bother? :)

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I’d say yes, I’ve used my Niro to jump start my Leaf, and my Leaf to jump start my Insight.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,691 Posts
I’d say yes, I’ve used my Niro to jump start my Leaf, and my Leaf to jump start my Insight.
But have you tried the riskier jump start of an ICE? Different kettle of fish from starting an EV

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,443 Posts
A bit risky if you fry some of the eNiro's electronics.

You might get away with it, but if you do it wrong, what then?

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
But have you tried the riskier jump start of an ICE? Different kettle of fish from starting an EV
Insight has an ICE that starts on startup.

In your scenario, I’d start up my Niro, attach the leads to the ICE, leave it for half an hour, disconnect the leads, and start the ICE as normal.

Reactions: JDleaf and Scrooge

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,443 Posts

In your scenario, I’d start up my Niro, attach the leads to the ICE, leave it for half an hour, disconnect the leads, and start the ICE as normal.
What do you do once you've killed the battery on your eNiro after an hour? :)

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,691 Posts

Yes, that should be safe-ish.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
You won’t have done because you started it up and therefore the DCDC converter is chucking out a kilowatt at 12V

Reactions: JDleaf

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'd combine 2 of the above.... run my eNiro for half hr, THEN disconnect the 12v battery, jump the ICE. Leave the ice connected for a few mins, then disconnect it, and re-connect the 12v battery.

One caveat though - do we know if disconnecting the 12v causes problems on the Niro? Will you need to put in radio codes etc?

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,691 Posts
One caveat though - do we know if disconnecting the 12v causes problems on the Niro? Will you need to put in radio codes etc?
Good question. Out you go and try it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

I don't think it's quite the same.

The Insight is a hybrid and presumably the engine is started by the HV hybrid battery. The 12V "jump" is simply to wake up the 12V electronics and systems that will enable the car to run.

I did similar in the past, jumping our Lexus hybrid (with a dead 12V) from our Leaf (drawing a few A over the jump leads), but I wouldn't actually try to crank an ICE engine from an EV (requiring potentially hundreds of amps).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Just buy a lithium ion "car jump starter for £35 of Amazon.
Keep it in the glovebox for a useful back up in case the e-Niro battery throws a sulk too.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
510 Posts
Probably a silly question but has anyone tried it?

For reference, with the Nissan Leaf the manual says "No" but it does work if you hook it up to an ICE and wait 10 mins.
Also for detail, I did this live, with the Kona fully on/ready to drive, but in P, with the handbrake on. Red cable first, direct from the Kona battery 1st to the dead car battery, then black cable, direct from the Kona battery 1st to the dead car engine lift eye or something else metal... I didn’t really leave it much time & just started the other car.
Then carefully removed the leads & moved the cars 🙂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts