Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm just about to collect my 2020 e-Niro, and I was wondering whether Kia have followed through on the rumour that they were to join the Ionity consortium, so we can use Ionity chargers at "realistic" cost?

Registered
Hi All, I'm just about to collect my 2020 e-Niro, and I was wondering whether Kia have followed through on the rumour that they were to join the Ionity consortium, so we can use Ionity chargers at "realistic" cost?
Nothing from HyundaiKia so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
shame - although it seems a lot of them are free vend at the moment - from the ridiculous to the sublime!! ;-)

Registered
The 鈧8 per charge was a gift 馃巵 but I can't justify the cost at the moment, when a 50kw unit is half the price

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
It's simply a cynical policy of shutting out non-member vehicles from their network. I'd be comfortable with this (as per EVM's youtube post a while back) if the consortium were funding the charging points entirely themselves, but this is not the case. A LOT of public money has gone to subsidising these chargers (as well as being a part-penalty to VW for dieselgate), so they should be forced by government license to price at "market" levels, which currently is max. 39ppkwh. It makes me cross (English understatement) that they're being allowed to get away with this....

Registered
It's simply a cynical policy of shutting out non-member vehicles from their network. I'd be comfortable with this (as per EVM's youtube post a while back) if the consortium were funding the charging points entirely themselves, but this is not the case. A LOT of public money has gone to subsidising these chargers (as well as being a part-penalty to VW for dieselgate), so they should be forced by government license to price at "market" levels, which currently is max. 39ppkwh. It makes me cross (English understatement) that they're being allowed to get away with this....
You can get ionity charging at 39ppkwh in the UK, just sign up for a Maingau card/app (Google and search the forum) and there you go.

Registered
BigBadBotnik - do you mean a Chargemap pass? When I went to the Maingau website that's what they seem to present. Anyhow, I ordered a Chargemap pass so we'll see.

Registered
You can get ionity charging at 39ppkwh in the UK, just sign up for a Maingau card/app (Google and search the forum) and there you go.
Have you got a link for that?

Registered
BigBadBotnik - do you mean a Chargemap pass? When I went to the Maingau website that's what they seem to present. Anyhow, I ordered a Chargemap pass so we'll see.
Not sure if Im allowed to post links on here but search for Maingau card and one of the first results will be MAINGU Energie.

The website is all in German but Google should give you the option to translate. Sign up via the website but for the UK you are going to be looking for "Vereinigter K枚nigreich" as your country when it asks

Registered
Have you got a link for that?
I applied for the maingau card online no problem on the 16th of June, still not received it, when queried they say just use the app, but you have to apply for a card first.
Don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 just me being unlucky but I鈥檓 still waiting for my car anyway so it doesn鈥檛 really matter.

Registered
I applied for the maingau card online no problem on the 16th of June, still not received it, when queried they say just use the app, but you have to apply for a card first.
Don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 just me being unlucky but I鈥檓 still waiting for my car anyway so it doesn鈥檛 really matter.
Chase them. I applied online early July and got my card a week later.

Registered
They could have taken it one step further like Tesla and lock out other cars from their network...

So at least it is a step up from that.

Maybe, eventually, it will change. Polar are rolling out 400 150kw+ chargers and others are too now, once competition steps up and the investment outlay becomes part of the past, no doubt prices will go down a bit.

Registered
when i get my e niro 4+ all my charging will be done at home at 13p per kwh 280 miles will get you most places and back enybody who can not charge at home should think twice about having a electric car as it would be to expensive to run on public charge points alone untill the cost comes right down mick h

Registered
I think it depends on your local situation Mick. I have no possibility of getting a home charger, but there is a 7kwh charge point very close to me.

It costs 拢5 to park and then 拢1 connection fee to charge an unlimited amount. So if I charged from 20% to 100% (~51kwh) the total cost would equate to 11.8p/kwh.

I agree if you are solely going to use expensive rapids then it could get costly but again that's down to your personal usage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
when i get my e niro 4+ all my charging will be done at home at 13p per kwh 280 miles will get you most places and back enybody who can not charge at home should think twice about having a electric car as it would be to expensive to run on public charge points alone untill the cost comes right down mick h
13ppkwh!!!??? - mate, you need to change your electricity supplier! - We moved to Octopus (their Agile tariff) as soon as we got our first electric car - average charge cost is around 4p; sometimes it goes negative, so they PAY US to charge our car!! (when it's very windy :)). They're green-only too, so you can be smug when batting away objections from die-hard fossel drivers...
use my discount link below and get a 拢50 bonus!

Premium Member
A LOT of public money has gone to subsidising these chargers (as well as being a part-penalty to VW for dieselgate)
I though privately funded - but I see from Wiki 39.1M euro of EU money (20% of cost). More info at europ-e

I doubt the last bit as not aware of any government sanction against VW in Europe. Nothing in wiki -

Are you confusing Ionity with Electrify America? There they had to pay for a new EV network.

Anyway, as other have said, my opinion is that it makes perfect commercial sense for cars from the consortium to get lower charging rates as they are paying 80% of build cost.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts