Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can my 2013 zoe us a street charger if the charger features CCS? I note that the CCS socket looks exactly the same as a type 2 cable except for the 2 extra pins at the bottom , so can the supplied zoe street charging cable in the boot fit into the ccs socket on the street charger side or will it not fit? If it does fit i suppose it wont charge at 40kw understandably because the 2013 zoe hasnt got ccs socket but then what rate would it charge at? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
CCS is a DC connector. A Zoe of that age can only charge on AC. You can use any Type 2 AC connector with your car however. So everything except that on a Tesla Supercharger.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CCS is a DC connector. A Zoe of that age can only charge on AC. You can use any Type 2 AC connector with your car however. So everything except that on a Tesla Supercharger.
Ah right thank you - I see now. ah right well a local street charger in my town has 1x Chademo 40kw, 2x CCS 40kw and then 1x type 2 5.8kw - so classed as a fast charger ... but I suppose its only a fast charger if your car can take fast charging :)

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
Ah right thank you - I see now. ah right well a local street charger in my town has 1x Chademo 40kw, 2x CCS 40kw and then 1x type 2 5.8kw - so classed as a fast charger ... but I suppose its only a fast charger if your car can take fast charging :)
That's one very odd sounding charger. A typical rapid charger will be 50kW CCS, 50kW Chademo and 43kW Type 2 AC (or 22kW Type 2 AC socket)

I've never seen or heard of anything with such an unusual mix before.

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
That's one very odd sounding charger. A typical rapid charger will be 50kW CCS, 50kW Chademo and 43kW Type 2 AC (or 22kW Type 2 AC socket)

I've never seen or heard of anything with such an unusual mix before.
I've seen one with a 7 kW AC socket, but not 5.8 kW. Very weird I agree.

·
Registered
Ioniq
663 Posts
I've used a charger in the UK that was 50kw DC / 7kw AC but actually only output just less than 6kw; maybe they just label them more accurately in Ireland :)

It (an Engenie charger IIRC) supported simultaneous AC and DC charging, but the AC was restricted to whatever was left in the power allocation whether DC was in use or not, which was quite annoying.

Also there's no such thing as a "CCS socket on a charger"; CCS is always tethered at the charger end because of the higher power, so there's nothing to stick your type 2 cable into other than the type 2 AC socket.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used a charger in the UK that was 50kw DC / 7kw AC but actually only output just less than 6kw; maybe they just label them more accurately in Ireland :)

It (an Engenie charger IIRC) supported simultaneous AC and DC charging, but the AC was restricted to whatever was left in the power allocation whether DC was in use or not, which was quite annoying.

Also there's no such thing as a "CCS socket on a charger"; CCS is always tethered at the charger end because of the higher power, so there's nothing to stick your type 2 cable into other than the type 2 AC socket.
Ah right thank you. Its all making sense now.. I was wondering why on some charger you saw the charging cable included and on other chargers you had to use your own cable - it does make sense now - I am such a noob! lol :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts