Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a random charging question. I have some special low amp (5A) plugs at my property which I understand are designed for lights.

Is it possible to get a USB charger compatible with these plug types as many are in convenient locations from where I would like to power a USB camera.

Wood Font Flooring Metal Pattern

I've done a Google search and can't find anything specific but though the many expert electricians on this forum might be able to suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Warwick Boy

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
361 Posts
Think you will struggle to find one of these.
The plug you have is, I think, also used in India. You could try on Amazon for 'India USB Charger.' Alternatively perhaps a European travel adapter that has a 2-pin (shaver type) plug may fit your wall socket.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
As above, just make an adapter. I installed loads of 5 A BS546 outlets in this house, all switched by light switches to make it easier to control things like bedside and occasional lights. It's perfectly safe to wire a BS546 plug to a short length of 0.75mm² three core cable and a BS1363-2 13 A outlet. The cable will be protected by the 6 A MCB/RCBO that protects the BS546 outlet circuit.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Think you will struggle to find one of these.
The plug you have is, I think, also used in India. You could try on Amazon for 'India USB Charger.' Alternatively perhaps a European travel adapter that has a 2-pin (shaver type) plug may fit your wall socket.
In India they use the much-bigger 15A versions.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
There are two sizes for those plugs, as I found out! Best of luck with finding one with a USB. You might like to try a local light shop/electrician that has catalogues.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
964 Posts
Buy a USB charger that connects via a figure of 8 lead. This charger, probably over the top, is an example of one with a lead that does not plug directly into a socket. Either cut off the plug from the lead and fit the 5A plug you want (they are still allowed for lighting circuits in the UK), or buy a spare lead and convert that, which would leave you able to use the original lead to connect to 13A sockets. And, of course, you can buy other leads (for the EU for example) for when travelling.

Edit: fixed typos.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,245 Posts
Buy a USB charger that connect via a figure of 8 lead. This charger, probably over the top, is an example of one with a lead that does not plug directly into a socket. Either cut of the plug from the lead and fit the 5A plug you want (they are still allowed for lighting circuits in the UK). Alternatively, buy a spare lead and convert that, which would leave you able to use the original lead to connect to 13A sockets. And, of course, you can buy other leads (for the EU for example) for when travelling.
This! You just beat me to it. Yes, I have a few of these 8-lead usb chargers with high current output.

Or can you not just replace the socket plate with a regular 3 pin? Is there a fused option? Stick a label on '5 amps only'.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
There are two sizes for those plugs, as I found out! Best of luck with finding one with a USB. You might like to try a local light shop/electrician that has catalogues.
There are/were more than two options for BS546 plugs/sockets. Off the top of my head I think there are/were 2 A, 5 A, and 15 A versions, all with different pin sizes and spacing.

The 5 A ones are probably the most common in the UK, mainly because they are very commonly used for wall switched incidental lighting, particularly in hotels.

There was also a very similar, but incompatible, plug and socket that was used specifically for mains synchronised wall clocks, usually in industrial environments, but I have seen them used in big houses.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The 5 A ones are probably the most common in the UK, mainly because they are very commonly used for wall switched incidental lighting, particularly in hotels.
I have a ring of them on the dimmer switch for the table/standing lights. I'd never seen them before until I bought this house. I purchased the wrong size to start with.

You're always full of good information @Jeremy Harris, many thanks.

·
Registered
On order. 62kWh Leaf e+Tekna.
82 Posts
As Jeremy says, there was indeed a 2 amp 3 pin version used in the UK. Back in the 70's the 'Berni Inns' pub/restaurant chain seemed to have a fetish for table lamps plugged into these sockets at each table. The company I worked for at the time did a lot of commercial work for that group. There was also a domestic version (made by MEM I think) which had a 13 amp 3 pin and 2 of 2 amp 3 pin sockets on one plate, intended for TV and table lamps I believe.
Keith.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts