Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car went into a garage for repair recently, there was 98% charge in the battery. when I got it back it only had 61%.
The garage claim that it was never driven outside of their small site and that the 37% power the battery had used, must have been due to them resetting the ECU and it being left standing with the headlights on.

I also noticed when I got it back from the garage it was showing 1.8 miles per KWh, whereas when I drive the dispaly shows 4.3 miles per kWh.

I have some screenshots from the "My Leaf" app, showing distance travelled and energy economy, from when it was in the garage, but dont really understand the information, to me it looks like there has been extreme power use, something like 2.13KWh power used per mile.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
does the app shows travel for the days the car was in the garage?
I always take a note of the mileage when I hand the car and check again when I get it back.
Taking a note when you handover the car with the guy waiting for you to do it works usually as deterrent for use ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I had a Prius, the car would always come back from the dealer with a nearly depleted battery (or as close as the car would allow it to get). They tend to leave them switched on in their workshops for hours at a time and if the climate control is on it won't take much to start running down the battery. If it was in for repair, they may well have just left it sitting there switched on for days. As Husoi said though, always make a note of mileage when you take a car to a dealer - you have no idea what's going on when the car's out of your sight.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I hard-wired my dashcam and rear cam into the Leaf's wiring loom so the mechanic can't turn them off.
Each of them has a 256gb sd card in and set for continuous recording. When I get the car back I check the recordings to see what they've been up to with my car.
It has been quite revealing sometimes, with the internal camera recording the sounds of a flatulent mechanic and one picking his nose and wiping his finger on the passenger's car seat......:sick:

On one test drive with my old VW EOS, the mechanic was hooning around the industrial estate at up to 60mph, I sent a copy of that to the management and the next service he wasn't there any more.

So yes, I wouldn't trust any of these guys as far as I could throw them.:cautious:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the reply's folks. Much appreciated.
I dont know what the mileage was exactly when it went in, i just have a feeling that they drove it aggressively when it was in there.
It came back with some scratches and marks on the bodywork, that I am sure were not there when it went in, I guess its hard to prove anything.
In future I will definitely be taking full details of the mileage and condition before its left at any garage.

I have attached the screenshots of the power usage when they had it.
PS on the graph the 3 tall blue lines, was when i was driving with normal power usage.
The extreme high points in grey are the power usage when the garage had it.
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hard-wired my dashcam and rear cam into the Leaf's wiring loom so the mechanic can't turn them off.
Each of them has a 256gb sd card in and set for continuous recording. When I get the car back I check the recordings to see what they've been up to with my car.
It has been quite revealing sometimes, with the internal camera recording the sounds of a flatulent mechanic and one picking his nose and wiping his finger on the passenger's car seat......:sick:

On one test drive with my old VW EOS, the mechanic was hooning around the industrial estate at up to 60mph, I sent a copy of that to the management and the next service he wasn't there any more.

So yes, I wouldn't trust any of these guys as far as I could throw them.:cautious:
My dash cam is hard wired also. When I got the car back after service the power lead had been removed from the camera asked why they had disconnected the cable and was told its Nissan policy to disconnect dash cams. More dealer BS

·
Registered
162 Posts
My dash cam is hard wired also. When I got the car back after service the power lead had been removed from the camera asked why they had disconnected the cable and was told its Nissan policy to disconnect dash cams. More dealer BS
Dealers disable dashcams as they have been caught out on them one too many times

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Dealers disable dashcams as they have been caught out on them one too many times
Time to go to dhgate.com and find a micro camera. They don't cost more than £20 and are small enough to be hidden.
Then get a £10 dashcam so they will disconnect that but won't be looking for the hidden one ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealers called me to say they had to remove the cam for data protection, they gave me it back in a sealed bag . . .

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Legislation says that you cannot distribute other's details. The same as you can't publish a photo from someone without consent.
Recording in secret is allowed as long the video is kept private, or used as evidence.
Actually, garages can't disconnect a device without the owner's authorisation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My least favourite piece of legislation is the privacy bullshit.
It was designed NOT to protect the individual as it's proponents would have you believe, it is a very carefully crafted piece of legislation solely designed to make life easier for civil servants and the employees of large organisations.
When an assistant behind the desk says to you that they cannot give you a piece of information because of privacy concerns, do you think they give a stuff about your privacy? It saves them the time and effort they would otherwise have to spend on retrieving the information for you. Think how much this saves government and big business when extrapolated over the whole country each fiscal year. Governments and big business already know everything about you, down to what toothpaste you use and what route you take to work.

If you insist on getting this information to which you are perfectly entitled, they are then able to charge you for the privilege. They win win win. We, the general populace, lose lose lose.

·
Registered
373 Posts
On a related note - Does anyone want to recommend their local dealer. Scrub that, I might be aiming a bit too high there, let’s rephrase that.
Anyone have a dealer they consider to be slightly above the rather low standards many of us experience.

My dealer offers a free video health check apparently but when I ask to see it they suddenly have mysteriously developed WiFi problems preventing them accessing the videos for that day.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
On a related note - Does anyone want to recommend their local dealer. Scrub that, I might be aiming a bit too high there, let’s rephrase that.
Anyone have a dealer they consider to be slightly above the rather low standards many of us experience.

My dealer offers a free video health check apparently but when I ask to see it they suddenly have mysteriously developed WiFi problems preventing them accessing the videos for that day.
Glyn Hopkins at Waltham Abbey are a pain in the butt to get to and they can rarely provide decent fixed time slot however I get Video of their check every time.

Same with Bristol Street Motors at Waltham Cross.

Glyn Hopkins at Romford have helpful staff. If I service at dealer next year, it will be there.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts