Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted on the side of a Decathlon store.

The wall is facing south-east. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Numptys is the only explanation I can think of offhand......

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Numptys is the only explanation I can think of offhand......
I don’t think so. Which is why someone wiser might know.

Although I did notice roof mounted wind generators, so this might be green-wash.

If I told you what latitude I was at would that help? :)

·
Registered
Ioniq
676 Posts
Assuming it's in the northern hemisphere a vertical array pointing south east would be best for catching winter sun early in the morning; could they need - or are only allowed by their DNO to generate - most power then, somehow?

The fact that there's loads of crap in front of it does kind of suggest an ill thought out gimmick, though...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Perhaps there is some PV on the roof.

When there is subsidy as FITS it pays to have south facing panels and mounted at the optimum angle dependent on latitude. However with no subsidy it depends on demand and supply matching as much as poss to achieve the best return. Maybe this area mounted as normal would produce too much in summer and to little in winter and that mounting vertically is a better supply/demand match.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
501 Posts
Which Decathlon store ?

Poland ?

Maybe they they want to prove how useless PV is so they can carry on burning brown coal.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,163 Posts
Eh? My name is called, I am summoned!?

Well, I'd say it looks SE, as you say, and is ideally placed to maximise early winter Sun for electric heating in a country that generates 50% of its electricity with coal and 25% with brown coal.

I'd say it is probably a winner outcome, actually, and goes to show how a photo can easily mislead.

Let's see the photo of the same spot at 9AM on the 22nd December, along with a readout on CO2 emissions from heating the building with and without them.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd say it is probably a winner outcome, actually, and goes to show how a photo can easily mislead.
I don’t think the photo is misleading, that’s genuinely how it looks in the summer. Hence my question.

Of course the sun can be almost setting in the NW direction at higher latitudes.

I’d be interested to see the calculations, but I was thinking that this setup would be best in winter months when the sun is low and snow is covering the panels on the roof.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,163 Posts
I don’t think the photo is misleading, that’s genuinely how it looks in the summer. Hence my question.

Of course the sun can be almost setting in the NW direction at higher latitudes.

I’d be interested to see the calculations, but I was thinking that this setup would be best in winter months when the sun is low and snow is covering the panels on the roof.
I'd measure the angle off an aerial photo, but looks like google photo is older than the building.

With that, there is an EU 'solar calculator' around somewhere, someone could put in those numbers.

There is really nothing wrong with east facing panels if it is to address the very low outputs from south facing panels in winter,and this is clearly SE, so will probably deliver nicely from 8AM to noon most sunny winter days. Morning is when you want more heating energy, heat up after a cold night, really, it makes sense to me, TBH.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Let's see the photo of the same spot at 9AM on the 22nd December,
Definitely taken at that date and time....

"Decathlon’s network store opened recently in Olsztyn is the most ecological facility in Poland, in which many innovative solutions have been applied, such as, but not limited to, the lanterns powered directly by solar panels installed on front facade, solar benches, wind turbines, recycling of rain water as well as green walls out of six species of particular plants resistant to weather conditions."

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd measure the angle off an aerial photo, but looks like google photo is older than the building.
On the google earth view the panels are parallel with “Doktora Stanisława Dorantta” street.

So pretty much bang on South East.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
501 Posts
The contractors vans are shading the panels in the background.
It is difficult to avoid shade for many roof installations, and wall mounted pose some extra problems.
Good number of panels though, and no nesting pigeons on vertical panels.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
It says that they also have wind turbines. I'm guessing that they would be on the roof? Google maps still shows it as a building site.

Wind turbines are more efficient than solar panels. So if the available power from the wind is more than the solar panels would produce on the roof, then it would make sense to put the wind turbines on the roof and the solar panels somewhere else on the building.

Or is that complete nonsense?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts