Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all - Ive a 22kw Zoe 2013 and here are figures I screenshotted today.

Ok , so available charging power 2.3kw , thats power going in from the 13a granny cable? - but what is 7.0kw max battery charge ? - the car was stationary.

DC power is 1.4kw so 2.3kw AC - 1.4kw DC , so thats 900w of power is lost by converting AC to DC by the cars charging system yes?

Usable state of charge 92.1% , what does that mean please and why different from 'real state of charge' at 89% and which one is the most important one?

SOH is self explanatory - good at 90% I should imagine for 2013 @49km's ?

Battery temp at 15c - good?

Thanks all

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,

I'll give you my understanding... You're correct, 2.3kW is available from the charging source (granny). The max battery charge/regen is a limit on incoming power that is dictated by the battery management system. This is dependent on how full your battery is and at what temperature. If you plugged into a 22kW post just now you would only get 7kW, because your battery is almost full. If your battery was only at 20% but it was -1C outside then you would also see slow charging speeds.

Yes, you're getting 1.4kW into the battery after losses and any load (heating, aircon etc).

Usable state of charge is different from actual state of charge because you have an upper and lower buffer. The 22kWh Zoe is actually around 26kWh but Renault limit how much you can use. The buffer is there to prevent over or undercharging and to extend the time before you see any noticeable degradation. The usable state of charge is what you're interested in (this is also displayed on the dash).

90% SOH is decent for a car of this age, I imagine. Battery temp of 15C is neither good nor bad, it will vary a lot depending on weather and your usage. I think the battery is 'happiest' at 20-30 degrees and will allow you maximum charge rates under those conditions, but there's nothing wrong about a battery being a little cooler or warmer. The Zoe has active thermal management so she'll cool herself down if it does get too hot.

Hope you're enjoying the Zoe so far!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

I'll give you my understanding... You're correct, 2.3kW is available from the charging source (granny). The max battery charge/regen is a limit on incoming power that is dictated by the battery management system. This is dependent on how full your battery is and at what temperature. If you plugged into a 22kW post just now you would only get 7kW, because your battery is almost full. If your battery was only at 20% but it was -1C outside then you would also see slow charging speeds.

Yes, you're getting 1.4kW into the battery after losses and any load (heating, aircon etc).

Usable state of charge is different from actual state of charge because you have an upper and lower buffer. The 22kWh Zoe is actually around 26kWh but Renault limit how much you can use. The buffer is there to prevent over or undercharging and to extend the time before you see any noticeable degradation. The usable state of charge is what you're interested in (this is also displayed on the dash).

90% SOH is decent for a car of this age, I imagine. Battery temp of 15C is neither good nor bad, it will vary a lot depending on weather and your usage. I think the battery is 'happiest' at 20-30 degrees and will allow you maximum charge rates under those conditions, but there's nothing wrong about a battery being a little cooler or warmer. The Zoe has active thermal management so she'll cool herself down if it does get too hot.

Hope you're enjoying the Zoe so far!
Brilliant sounds great explanation thank you - yes I am loving it been even taking it for longer rides than I originally intended. Before I got it I said to the mrs that being an old one now the range isnt going to be like the new ones these days with much greater ranges so we shall only using it to go into town and back, but I have been braver and took it further and havent come unstuck (yet!) so more than pleasantly surprised and happy with it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts