Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
There is no way tag the IMiev can do 90+ miles on a single charge. I've seen the charge meter indicate a range of 96 miles, but I've no recollection of completing a distance of more than 65 miles. Even to get that you have to get off the motorway and keep the speed to 45, or so.
It may be a plucky little car - but range is not its strong point! Nor is heating, cooling and demisting!
Before Rapid Chargers became fairly common, I always carried a box of DVDs. The heater doesn't work (whilst charging) but you could watch a whole TV series during a single charge! Not a capability to brag about!

·
Banned
558 Posts
lol shame is a nice little car. How much did it cost you
Don't normally admit money spent!
However, I got a bespoke iMiev with full leather, decent sat nav/ DVD player, reversing camera etc and every accessory inside and out - as in the brochure! Plus a 3 year Service Plan (i.e Free servicing)! So it's neat! We paid 'x'K for the package - one year ago.
We've done 20K miles, in the year and the car has been faultless.
In my opinion its a misunderstood car. Priced 3K below the Leaf, it might have found more takers!
However, like all EVs at 15K and below, it will return its purchase price in fuel economy!

·
Banned
558 Posts
It's certainly impressive and I might just lead the charge to the showroom! However, I've given up guessing what Mitsubishi will do next. It seems that the current car is being reintroduced to the US for 2015, with no improvement in range. No one can be impressed. So a new iMiev model is unlikely before 2016.
There is something dysfunctional in both the Nissan and Mitsu's ability to capatalze on their early lead. Surely a coupe, an estate-car and a pickup woukd have broadened the appeal?
A confess to being a total cynic - it seems to me that production volumes are being kept low and prices maintained high. They have responded to Govt demands for low carbon vehicles, but the pricing is ensuring that sales don't impinge on their established business.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not a conspiracy they did it before with the EV1. EV1 jeopardised the sales of the hummer so they crashed them, the return profit on a ev is almost nothing petrol cars have a high return profit .if the electric cars outsell the petrol cars they will lose millions. limiting there integration is good for car company,

·
Registered
167 Posts
Its not a conspiracy they did it before with the EV1. EV1 jeopardised the sales of the hummer so they crashed them, the return profit on a ev is almost nothing petrol cars have a high return profit .if the electric cars outsell the petrol cars they will lose millions. limiting there integration is good for car company,
FYI, it is interesting tio read the analysis of success vs. failure on Wickepedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

·
Banned
558 Posts
afaik only Tesla are making a profit on their EVs today.
I would be very surprised if that s true-yet!
Google this article that shows that Tesla is involved in smart accounting and gets a synergy with Musk's other businesses. Cleantech Success and Tesla Motors
For some reason the link won't paste!

However, no discredit - its surely only a question of time. However, with so much capital investment + Palo Alto wages - I think 20 years might be reasonable?
However, I'm surprised my the reaction about car manufacturers 'game play'. These huge global corporations are immensely powerful and have a long record of political and economic manipulation. Despite those activities - few are profitable! Traditionally they have operated successfully by volume manufacturing and lean pricing. Many of there products were total cr##!
However, 'smart manufacturing' and, in some cases, Govt subsidies have kept them alive. It's not surprising that they should be paranoid!
I'm absolutely certain that they are looking at the EU and UK Govt trying to drive the vehicle marked in a new direction; however, you can be sure that big business will always be working to minimise the threats and maximise the opportunities.
As car purchasers we are the 'pawns' in high stake chess - nothing less!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
That does not mean that they don't want to make a profit.
Thats true but for a traditional car company it can be complex. For example, Nissan might want to sell Californian ZEV credits or use those credits to support sales of their ICE vehicles without expensive exhaust emissions upgrades... lots of scenarios :)

Tesla however almost certainly need to make a profit on the Model S to support company growth... when they last reported in September 2013, Company GPM was 23.85%

Tesla_Gross_Profit_Sept_2013.png

So Nissan have sold 100,000 Leafs at a loss?
Correct... I have some Nissan investor docs that I'll try and dig out... in the meantime these two articles are worth a read... the first says;

Bringing the Leaf closer to the U.S. market has been a "fantastic move" to reduce costs, Laslau said. But the car is likely still being heavily subsidized, and he doesn't expect it will make Nissan money anytime soon.

"It might very well be that they don't make any money on this," he said.

And the second, tells us why Nissan might happily sell the Leaf at a loss (first mover advantage and CAFE standards compliance);

Do Electric Cars Make Economic Sense for the Mass Market?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
afaik only Tesla are making a profit on their EVs today.
Tesla started as an electric car company so they have no previous models to worry about as in petrol vehicles so for them is all profit. Any big car company that has previous petrol models will worry about electric cars as they will cause reduced sales on petrol cars As they know it will reduce their profit

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol ok let's Agree to disagree.
Ok Renault made my zoe here is the list of what they do to keep it running.
Service free and software update free= no profit.
Now let's look at a Renault Clio
Service £462 oil change and filters = profit
Mechanical failures and repairs= profit
My friends cam belt needs to be changed and they said £1100 and that's a rip off. There is so much to go wrong with a petrol car that is what keeps oil companies in Business, and petrol companies going, they are built to fail all petrol cars are, Cambelts are designed to break at 72,000 miles oil filters need changing at 5 to 10,000 miles, there is always something to do on a petrol car, petrol cars are built for profit, they are not going to give it up easily. And Nissan are saying they make profit off selling it is no return business profit

·
Banned
558 Posts
I would agree to disagree too!
ALL manufacturers will have an EV option. Some have left it late, but I suspect that they have been watching and developing - ready to surprise the market, when they judge the timing to be right! However, it's my view that prices and key performance will be matched. That's in their mutual interest - its like the Cold War stalemate! If one manufacturers 'strikes' with an exceptional car - there will be retaliation. A period of mutual annilation will follow and who will win in the end, is anyone's guess.
Tesla are not in that cartel - but be sure whatever Tesla produce - there will be competition with matching prices and specs. In my view Tesla will conform to the established custom and practice - that's how big business works, I'm afraid.
EV competition will be made with functionality and gadgets - not on price, or range.
If Govt's think longer range EVs are what the market needs - then they need to place the subsidies there. Car manufactures will have to conform - but there might be some double-bluffing, for a while!
Owners and potential buyers will have no influence - at all!

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I was reading the info about the i-MiEV and it says 90+ Miles has anyone every hit this ?
EPA range is 62 miles and battery capacity 16kWh so IMO very unlikely at anything like 'real world' speed. @Matt Beard will know for sure :)
I drive a C-Zero that is basically a re-badged iMiev and day-to-day it will do 60 or so miles, but I have done 90 miles on a charge. It wasn't even a full charge, but from about 95%. This was on my 2000 mile Aberdeen to Bournemouth and back trip. I did the whole Doncaster Asda to Wynyard Park leg without charging, but I did quite a bit of it at 30-40mph.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I can see a Mitsu from a dealer - £8,995 only 9000 miles! It will refund that price in 50,000 miles!
Buy a car and get our money back - its robbery, but you get to keep the loot!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts