Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the ID.4 be used to power your home, for a while, in a power outage?

We are in the US.

Thanks.

Mac

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
422 Posts
I do not believe the ID.4 has V2G or V2H (vehicle-to-grid/home) capability, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
107 Posts
Nope. There was an article recently about how they're going to add V2G functionality in all IDs built from December (no mention of whether a retrofit of existing cars would be possible). Even then, if it works anything like the V2G scheme I was in, it won't power your home in an outage. I'd assume that's what V2H is all about...

Here's the article: Volkswagen wants to stabilise grid by adding V2G in all its electric cars

·
Registered
29 Posts
A pure sine wave inverter could be used from your 12V battery to power a few devices.

An extension lead to your fridge, internet and a few desk lamps connected to a 1kW inverter which is connected to your cars 12V battery which in turn is topped up by the high voltage battery should work. Not pretty or ID.4 specific, but it'd do in a pinch.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
440 Posts
What spock and wonko said... V2G isnt available on todays MEB platform but they are looking into it. It has been mentioned by a few reviewers and in some articles.
Problem with V2G is we are in early stages of understanding what that means to the battery in the car.

Second issue... there are rules about using it to power the grid in a power failure... read about the tesla powerwall gateway for explinaiton but short answer is you have to disconnect from the grid before you provide power to the house because the people who work on the grid dont want power running through it.

or watch this for a little bit of detail and explination...

Its worth watching this one because hegoes into detail about the whole solar, store (battery), charge, and back to grid process

In other words, you need some additional things going on to use the car power as a BACKUP when there is a POWER FAILURE.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
In other words, you need some additional things going on to use the car power as a BACKUP when there is a POWER FAILURE.
It all sounds very simple. Switch to Octopus Go and keep the EV charged at 5p/kWh overnight and then use the stored battery energy to power the home when the EV is not in use. DNOs deem batteries (EV or otherwise) as generators so checks have to be carried out on the local infrastructure; proposed wiring etc. As suggested above, if the intention is to island the home from the Grid in the event of a Grid power outage, then there also needs to be a sophisticated piece of kit between the home and the Grid to stop any export.

To get things moving, someone needs to talk to the DNO; fill in a detailed application form (https://www.ssen.co.uk/G99G98Requirements/FAQ/) and handover about £350. Wait three months, and if the DNO is happy with the proposal, they will still want to see all the commissioning documentation once the installation is complete, and they might invite themselves round for tea and biscuits to carry out what they call ‘Witness Testing’. Sadly, tea and biscuits isn’t enough and they will want even more £s for the visit. If the battery is capable of exporting power when Grid demand is high, then the DNO will also impose an export limit. For example, I have a 7kWp array and a Powerwall 2 limited to 5kWs export.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts