Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm distressed to have suddenly gotten a large (and growing) crack in my windshield on my 2019 Niro plug-in. And I'm told that "only the dealer" can do the "necessary recalibration" of the LKA after the windshield is replaced, to the tune of an additional $300. The glass replacement is going to be pricy enough ($400).

So: is it possible to do this, myself, perhaps using the hidden service menu, which can be accessed through tapping the corner repeatedly? Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'd say that the $300 dollars is part of the insurance claim to reinstate the car to working order then! Or are you not claiming?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say that the $300 dollars is part of the insurance claim to reinstate the car to working order then! Or are you not claiming?
I'm not claiming – BUT! I just found out from an actually honest glass installer: the device only needs to be recalibrated if it is unplugged. And when he changes the glass in this situation, he leaves the unit PLUGGED IN all the way through the process. So, recalibration can easily be avoided.

Word to the wise.

·
Registered
288 Posts
@Dave Emory , that cant be right!
I had flat 12v battery and Hyundai disconnected and removed the battery many times from the car. After many attempts over many months they finally replaced 12v battery. That means they would always have to re-calibrate.

I'm not expert here but I believe that recalibration is to account for different types of glass (thickness / type / colour / distance between lens and glass etc).

·
Registered
864 Posts
@Dave Emory , that cant be right!
I had flat 12v battery and Hyundai disconnected and removed the battery many times from the car. After many attempts over many months they finally replaced 12v battery. That means they would always have to re-calibrate.

I'm not expert here but I believe that recalibration is to account for different types of glass (thickness / type / colour / distance between lens and glass etc).
I wouldn't be to sure. Assuming the Kona is similar and looking at the user manual, it states :

"Some items need to be reset after the battery has been discharged or the battery has been disconnected.
• Power Windows
• Trip Computer
• Climate Control System
• Clock
• Audio System
• Sunroof"

No mention of LKA camera...

·
Registered
297 Posts
$300 seems crazy. BMW charged me £40 for doing mine.

And the whole 'not unplugging it' thing just stops it throwing an error - it doesn't mean it doesn't need re-calibrating!

Do you not have insurance for this?

·
Registered
286 Posts
......... Do you not have insurance for this?
He might be a younger driver and the loss of a no claims bonus could be much higher than $400 (or even $700).

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know things are different in other parts of the world, but as a general rule, windscreen claims in the UK don't affect NCD.

Either way, the dealer is taking the mickey with $300 the recalibration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can report that my LKA is functioning absolutely perfectly after the unit was reattached (after NOT being unplugged) to the windshield. As to insurance, unfortunately, my deductible is $500. Would have cost more to use it than to pay the fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts