Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, bought a charger on Ebay and thought this item was OK as it was advertised was working order until I realised after buying in one of the pics I couldn't see the wires in the junction.

The item arrived and this is what I discovered
charger 1.jpg charger 2.jpg charger 3.jpg

is this repairable if so how much?

thanks

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
Should be easy to change the wires. Only if you need it though. You can still use it like that, but will need to strip the ends.

The colours should be sufficient to know which wire is which, e.g. live, neutral and ground.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating that you should do any electrical work on your own. This is at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you don't want to fiddle inside, I wonder if you could shorten that conduit slightly, so that the existing wires reach the box?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
Of course that can be utilised although it was obviously disconnected rather brutally. But buying a second hand charge point what should you expect?
The main concern I'd have is whether you have the small push switch that should be connected to the twisted pair of thin black wires - I can't see it in the photos.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
I'm going to return the item. Thanks for the suggestions.
That is obviously up to you, but I doubt you have any reasonable excuse for that: the wires have no impact on the performance of the unit.

Anyway, good luck, hope you get your money back.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,860 Posts
You might not want to rely on those wires anyway.

Take the box apart and wire in new cores.

I have no idea what those black wires are, I think it has been previously 'adjusted' by owner to take a current reading out of it? Or maybe add a timer feature, I was thinking about doing that myself. Remove them, and any odd looking component that might have been attached inside to something.

I put 6mm2 cores into one, as I made for it a long lead out to a commando socket, and it is actually quite tricky, there is only space for 4mm2 really.

It is bog simple.

The worst part of the job was that the warranty sticker got jammed into the star slot and I couldn't get a driver into it!! ;)

They are all screw terminals inside. I recommend ferrule crimps to ensure you don't end up with lose strands from wire stuffing (I never approve of un-ferruled ends), but you have to thread the cores through the current sensor first before crimping them on as the current sensor is too small ID to take a 4/6mm core and a ferrule at the same time.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Agree with Donald, but I'd just add, check what those 2 black wires do before junking them. Some EVSEs have external switch to change from 16 to 32A; I believe this feature is usually on an internal switch on maybe ?Chargemaster? EVSEs, so it's possible this is a mod by previous person to take that switching capability outside the case.

If this is a 16/32A swap-over, you MUST make sure the wires involved are capable of 32A, before using that current rating! Who knows, this may have been a 16A EVSE originally with 16A wires, breakers, relays, whatever, but the circuitboard made with 16/32A switch set by mfr to suit whatever cables were used. That's safe. If it's been bodged to upgrade it to 32A without ALL the other bits upgraded to match, then it's bloody dangerous. Do take care, post pics here of what's going on inside if you're not sure.

The 2 black wires could also, (it's possible but unlikely I think) go from the box to a temperature-sensor outside, which could be a tiny thermistor about the size of a match-head. So try & work out what they're for before ignoring them!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
I think that you will have convinced the OP that he is right to send it back. ;)
If it is a Type 2 tethered I'll give him £100 for it and save him the hassle. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts