Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
OK so there was an update to the login capatcha to stop the Chinese spam, well that's a failure. At least a load of spam over the leaf 24 forum in a few seconds.
Now please implement the rate limiting options that are in the forum software or require 1st thread moderation.

@Admin you need to be proactive not passive I'm afraid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not wishing to discriminate unfairly, but how many legitimate topics have ever been created with a Chinese character in the topic title? Perhaps that's be a sensible and straightforward way to block these bots? I guess that depends what the forum software can do...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
re the last update :- 15 more, the words forest and trees comes to mind, Someone made a chocolate teapot so that phrase has melted away...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Providing you mark "all posts read" before you leave, you shouldn't get this problem if you look only at the 'New" posts page.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have a "procedure" when coming here:-
  1. See Chinese spambot? Right-click on name of poster not title of post
  2. New tab opens with poster's profile. Click on "report" at top right and enter "spambot" as reason
  3. Click on "Ignore" at lower left and close tab
  4. Refresh "new posts" page. This removes all posts by the bot you just reported
  5. Repeat if another spambot shows up.

·
Administrator
437 Posts
The techs are trying to improve Captcha and are also trying to block the regular beats of spam messages in an attempt to stem the flow. We're working on it. Thanks for reporting and thanks to the mods for cleaning.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
@Admin I suspect we have a human doing the Captcha, who once signed up passes the buck to the bot. Then the bot blasts the spam in, a single person could spam multiple forums this way very quickly :(
I think a rate check or first post moderation will be needed. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
@Admin And today's tsunami, a single login with a simple thread followed by 23 spam threads shows the problem. Attempting to automate is failing, needs first post moderation which would catch this.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,481 Posts
I don't think the site hosts know what's in Xenforo already. I don't think their tech team know either. This is level 1 basic site admin.

There's even some built in content checking systems. Have you turned that on @Admin ? If it identifies content as spam it pops it in the moderation queue.

This is built in.

Content

A spammer may manage to bypass the automated registration checks and successfully register. A second line of defense can be added to prevent them from submitting their spam content. These options are found in the Spam management option group.

• Spam phrases can be defined. If any of a user's first few messages matches theses phrases, an action can be taken. For example, some spammers submit messages with "watch film name online". We can match that with "watch * online" and simply block the message.
  • For more dynamic content matching, Akismet can be checked. This is a service that uses heuristics to determine if the submitted content is spam. If Akismet thinks the content is spam, the content will be placed into your forum's moderation queue and you will need to manually approve (or delete) the message before it is displayed to normal visitors.

The tools are all there to deal with this.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A stack more Chinese spam, an initial post of 1 letter so probably to defeat a large post check, well that didn't work! No rate checking going on obviously as followed up fast by multiple posts.
@Admin it's not impressive and is over working the poor moderators.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yet more
@Admin as these are posted after you have gone home for the day and the European mods clean them up, have you ever actually seen the sheer bulk of the postings?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I suppose I should be greatful that only one Chinese spammer is targeting the forum, it could be a whole city worth and that could overload the database.
@Admin after all this continious spam from one source, it just might be time to sort this out, or just a thought? Are they sponsors?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hmm, @Admin this fiddling round the edges with spam filters appears to be a waste of time. More again.

I was contemplating the premium membership but until you are serious about clearing this up no way, it reflects badly on how the forum is run by the owners ( not moderators )

·
Super Moderator
11,438 Posts
Some of the spammers are using accounts created months ago. One plus is we can now look for accounts that share an ip address with a known spammer and spam-ban any or all of them.

We are killing a lot of it. Doing the best I can.

===========================================

Reforms to the way universties are funded changed them. At Bangor Uni where I work, most of the income comes from student fees. Foriegn students pay more. Undergraduate fees range from £14,500pa for Education to £16,800pa for Electrical Engineering. A Master's in Psychology is £18,300.

This past academic year over 10% of the students at Bangor University came from China. We activly recruit there. Chinese recruiters get a commission for bringing students to us.

Tuition Fees & Scholarships | International Education Centre | Bangor University

21 - 40 of 45 Posts