Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. When the lockdown is over I was thinking of buying a new car, and I am interested in getting an electric one, hopefully a Tesla Model 3 if I can afford it.

However, I live in a block of flats and the car park is a few floors down and I doubt very much if I would be able to install a charger in that.

But the main point of this car would be travelling to work, and there are some free chargers there - one of them is normally always free.

I think I would be able to manage with just the work charger, but I'd be interested in other people's views as well. If you think this a mad idea - please let me know!

Thanks.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,691 Posts
It could work but of course as more EVs are purchased charging at work may become next to impossible. Of course if work started payment for charging they would probably be available for those who really needed to charge.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yea I have an EV and no home charging (terraced house).

Charge it at work, but there are 6 22kWh Pod Point chargers, so the two weeks I travelled there (started in March and went to home working after couple of weeks later!) I had no issues. I have a 41kWh Zoe and the journey is 80miles round trip, so I do have to charge each day more or less.

Weekends I charge at my local car park or more often, I use the charge point I fitted at my parents when I visit the whole family for a Sunday roast!

Home charging will be much cheaper and more convenient though. Been looking to move for a couple of years now...god know when I will be able to though!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello. When the lockdown is over I was thinking of buying a new car, and I am interested in getting an electric one, hopefully a Tesla Model 3 if I can afford it.

However, I live in a block of flats and the car park is a few floors down and I doubt very much if I would be able to install a charger in that.

But the main point of this car would be travelling to work, and there are some free chargers there - one of them is normally always free.

I think I would be able to manage with just the work charger, but I'd be interested in other people's views as well. If you think this a mad idea - please let me know!

Thanks.
Hi Rob,

I pretty much plan to do just that. I live in central Brighton with no off-road parking so will make use of the public chargers. I'd been toying with the idea for a while, fretting about it and then have just gone with it.

Sure, easier and more reliable to have a home charger but I've already conditioned myself to believe they don't exist 😁

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
I've managed for years without home charging, and that's in a car with a much smaller battery than the Tesla and no Tesla supercharger network to help me out either. As long as you can confirm that on Zap Map there are lots of charging options in your local area in case of workplace charging not always been an option for whatever reason, I would say go for it.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
528 Posts
Teslas have the huge advantage of the supercharger network. if you can afford a Model 3 there's very little reason why you can't live with that car just by taking it for a trip to the supercharger however many times a week are required to cover your driving habits. In the UK, for the time being, you're unlikely to find yourself queueing for a supercharger spot unless you happen to be very near a hotspot of Tesla owners doing the same. Tesla battery warranty will cover the possibility of battery degradation from heavy supercharger use too.
I'd say go for it!

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,182 Posts
I’ve had an EV for over a year now, with no home charging. As has been said, it all depends on how good the public charging infrastructure is where you live. The ideal situation is to be able to use destination charging points while you’re off doing other things. Work, gym, shopping etc. Even fast charging, if available, can be worked into your weekly routine. Use the time to answer emails, text friends and family, and with a Tesla you’ve got Netflix! Earlier in the year, I had a Model 3 and a Model S for 7 weeks, and did 4000 miles without any issues.

Do some research using Zap-Map:

Where is the nearest Supercharger?
Where are the public charge points in my area, and are they near where I spend time?
Will work charging give me enough range for my normal weekly journeys?

The advantages of a Model 3 are a decent sized battery, and flexible charging solutions. The Tesla SuC network, with up to 170kW DC charging (SR+), CCS DC rapid charging and 7kW AC charging (11kW from a 3 phase post).

You could always hire one for a week or so if you’re still uncertain about whether it will fit in to your lifestyle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I live in a terrace and had the same thought as my lease car is due to expire soon and getting a BEV (I am going for the i3) with no home charger option, should I go for a BEV, but as others have said, I had a look at Zap Map and there are enough public charging points near me and what I do, to go for the i3, so order placed and now waiting for the i3.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I live in a terrace and had the same thought as my lease car is due to expire soon and getting a BEV (I am going for the i3) with no home charger option, should I go for a BEV, but as others have said, I had a look at Zap Map and there are enough public charging points near me and what I do, to go for the i3, so order placed and now waiting for the i3.
Good for you, I'm sure lack of home charging will just be something you live with. As we have said before, few of us have home petrol pumps yet we survived that state of affairs for years

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. It doesn't seem a mad idea after all, and my office is small, so I'm sure I can use the charger there most days, and Zap Map shows a fair few near me.

I also thought about hiring one for a week, to see how it goes.

If I do get one, I will let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have recently had delivery of a model 3 and have no home charging. My plan had been to charge mainly at work 80m round trip and the odd supercharger visit. I did a lot of scenarios and it seemed doable although a little more expensive than with home charging. Obviously it’s not worked out as planned yet! But it should be fine especially if you have a supportive employer, mine has commuted to more chargers if required

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
178 Posts
I've got a home charger, but I've never used it. The public 50kw charger in town ( half a mile away) is free until Oct '21 so I just stop off on my way home. And if you get a M3 you'll be happy sitting for 30mins playing vid games or watching YouTube / Netflix.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I've got a home charger, but I've never used it. The public 50kw charger in town ( half a mile away) is free until Oct '21 so I just stop off on my way home. And if you get a M3 you'll be happy sitting for 30mins playing vid games or watching YouTube / Netflix.
Hope you give way to non-locals needing a charge... :)

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
178 Posts
Hope you give way to non-locals needing a charge... :)
if they engage with me, then yes. if they don't then no. I'm not a mind reader, but I am a reasonable person. I hope that answers your question. :):)

Reactions: cah197

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,699 Posts
Charging at home convenience is one of the main plus points of having an EV. I have tried both and only using public charging becomes tedious unless you have a super reliable daily alternative, trust me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Rob,

I pretty much plan to do just that. I live in central Brighton with no off-road parking so will make use of the public chargers. I'd been toying with the idea for a while, fretting about it and then have just gone with it.

Sure, easier and more reliable to have a home charger but I've already conditioned myself to believe they don't exist 😁
Hi BigBadBotnik,

We are soon launching a single payment method for public chargers UK-wide. It's tailored to drivers without a home charger who rely on public charging. May be of interest to you and always happy to have driver's inputs on their needs/what networks they would require. Let us know what is important to you + any feedback.

You can check it out here and sign up for the waiting to get 20% off when we launch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. It doesn't seem a mad idea after all, and my office is small, so I'm sure I can use the charger there most days, and Zap Map shows a fair few near me.

I also thought about hiring one for a week, to see how it goes.

If I do get one, I will let everyone know how it goes.
Hi Rob,

I also don't have off-street parking and, to at least partially improve the situation, started to work on a solution that lets you pay for public chargers irrespective of network. Always like to talk to fellow drivers about their pain points/networks they rely on most for public charging! If you're interested, have a look at what we're building here

1 - 20 of 31 Posts