Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I charge the 12v battery from a battery charger whilst the battery is connected to the car?

Aware you cannot do this in a Zoe, but is it ok in an Amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Depends on the charger.

The CTEK ones can be connected to an ICE installed battery, engine off, starting, running etc.Should work with a BEV

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yep, I have a ctek and use it on both our Volts. They even come with semi permanent wiring, so you can plug it in without having to lift the boot floor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but when the car is switched on, it will take power from the drive battery and charge the 12v battery, so charging the 12v is only necessary if you are not going to power up the car for a prolonged period, eg going on holiday.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but when the car is switched on, it will take power from the drive battery and charge the 12v battery, so charging the 12v is only necessary if you are not going to power up the car for a prolonged period, eg going on holiday.
That's true, but is the car switched on long enough to fully charge the 12v? If the car is only used for short commutes probably not.

I always try and plug the ctek in overnight at least once a month. 5 mins hassle is better than killing a 12v years early, or having a flat 12v and being stuck, or (worse case) killing the HV contactors leaving you with a £2k bill (this happened to @HandyAndy).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts