Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My name is Carson and I'm currently doing a project on the importance of electric cars. It would be awesome if you guys could help me out and answer the two questions below for me.

1. Do you drive an electric or fuel powered car? Why?
2. Do you think electric cars are important for the earth?

Thanks, Carson

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
1. I drive an electric BMW i3, previously an electric Renault ZOE. Partly for climate change reasons, partly for interest/novelty, partly for money saving.
2. No, the earth will be fine. But climate change will be a major problem for our children.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,586 Posts
Hey guys,
My name is Carson and I'm currently doing a project on the importance of electric cars. It would be awesome if you guys could help me out and answer the two questions below for me.

Thanks, Carson
1. I drive a BMW i3, I took one for a test drive and it was such good fun I investigated further, the cost of running it is cheaper, I hate scraping windows in the winter and the i3 does it for you, it's just great fun to drive.

2. Not really, I think commercial transport, planes, ships, trains, trucks, buses etc contribute far more to climate change but every little helps.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
1. Both. I have a EV, a turbocharged petrol, and a V8 SUV. The EV is interesting, fun to drive (in its own way), cheap to run. It serves as my "sensible daily drive". The turbo petrol is our second car, its a long term project, has lots of power and is extensively modified and i have no plans to sell it. The SUV i use for towing, it doesnt do many miles and its a V8 because they're awesome.

2. As with rich, not really. Passenger cars are a tiny drop in the ocean compared with big heavy diesel machinery such as trains, trucks, busses, not to mention ships and aircraft when it comes to carbon emissions. Their batteries are also not particularly great for the environment. That said, getting as much pollution out of our cities where it tends to linger around and cause health issues seems a worthwhile benefit. With the pushback against diesel, i suspect people who do a fair amount of mileage will see the light and start shifting to EV when faced with disincentivisation of DERVs and the extra cost of running a petrol engine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
1. Passive hybrid. Bought because I wanted something economical that wasn't a diesel, having sworn off the stuff after regular problems with the S-type's powertrain. Would have preferred a plug-in, but a PHEV or 100+ mile pure-electric wasn't available in the price bracket at the time.

2. Yes. As of 2012, cars and taxis represented 11% of Britain's measured CO2 emissions, so a significant part of combating climate change has to come from car buyers. The percentage has probably gone up since then as the electrical grid is so much cleaner now. The latter point also highlights how particularly beneficial plug-ins can be today.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Hi Carson,
1. I drive an "Evil Diesel" van because the EV vans do not have the range I need and they are more expensive than I can afford.

2. I think electric cars are important, not because of the Earth, but because oil is a finite resource and will eventually become very expensive and will potentially cause wars over the remaining resource. Electric cars seem to be the best solution as they can use a renewable "fuel", should have long lives, and should be highly recyclable at the end of their lives. Long after we're all gone the Earth will be just fine, it's got a good 3 to 4 billion years of use in it yet.

·
Registered
780 Posts
1. I drive a Zoe. The purchase was largely money motivated; it was stupidly cheap.

2. I'm more concerned by air quality than carbon emissions. It's where I see a real, tangible, advantage for EVs. With Carbon, EVs are a small part of the solution. When it comes to air quality in towns, cities, and around major transport routes, they are the largest part of the solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts