Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I say promote, I mean educate, but what's not to like about EVs?

One of my neighbours is looking to arrange something in very early July in Milton Keynes and would really like to do something EV related.

It's for a group of Beaver Scouts. His current thoughts are perhaps a talk, a visit to a charger station, seeing an EV / EVs, a leaflet to hand out. Needs a bit of a spark, to engage 6 - 8 year olds.

Has anyone any experience, a free Tesla to really wow them with, or just any ideas at all they could share with me or my neighbour to help show these kids the automotive future and get them interested in EVs?

FWIW I could just take them out on local lanes ala this experience I gave a colleague, but somehow feel that's not the most sensible approach.

Feel free to send me a private message, email me or post here if you have any ideas or could help at all.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
7,458 Posts
I'm just up the road, happy to help, they are the EV buyers of the future!

I guess you could do "how many beavers can you fit in an electric car?", maybe blinfold them and get them to guess how far/fast the car sounds like it's going (compared to a rattly diesel car). How about some sort of money game for refuelling? Oh and definitely putting a white cloth over the exhaust of some petrol/diesel cars and make the point that they're breathing that stuff in.

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
How about building a model electric car? (possibly lego)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
How about a closed circuit race ? Ampera, vs Leaf, vs i3 ? Kids love races ;)
It could even be a time trial round a set of cones or something, but it would show the cars to be more 'normal' than special...

·
Registered
26 Posts
No ideas as of yet, but I would love to help (and am fully CRB cleared!) Is there any scope for doing something Pyjama Drama ish? Could write some role play scenario etc?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No ideas as of yet, but I would love to help (and am fully CRB cleared!) Is there any scope for doing something Pyjama Drama ish? Could write some role play scenario etc?
No idea, I think all ideas are welcome at this stage. :)

I've pointed the organiser this way too, he'll either join up eventually or I'll feed back. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All...and happy to be on the forum. Thanks to Paul for the introduction and apologies for not getting back earlier.

I am after an EV discussion/demo/activities for the beaver scouts (Howe Park Scouts Group) based at the Westcroft Community Centre - MK4 4DB.

The meeting is 3 July at 1830-1745 and would appreciate your help on this theme so that the beavers fulfil their 'environemnt' badge. I also understand that the wider scouts group are scoping an EV badge :)

Ideally it would be good if they could see an EV, a charging point (but i dont think any is close-by), printed material (brochures etc), activity stuff (which i can print off), slides (we can provide a projector)...and more. Happy for other suggestions.

If anyone can help then we can work up something for the night

my thanks

Navin

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Navin, the Renault dealer in Westcroft has a charger and may have both Twizzy (funny little car), ZOE (Clio like) and maybe EV vans too. Might also be worth dropping them a line?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'd suggest contacting the dealership principle at Renault Westcroft - or their head office. I suspect they'd love the publicity, especially if a photo ended up in the MK News...

Also, possibly worth contacting the MK Safety Centre in Kiln Farm?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All

I am firming up on the plan for 3 Jul for beaver scouts & EVs. Ideally I want them to see an EV being charged but not sure about the weather scenario etc. Thanks for suggestions above which we will consider in the near future re speaking to Renault etc. We are treating this meeting (3 Jul) as a trial and then we can do a proper EV meeting with cubs, scouts and explorers in the Autumn term if successful - I am sure it will!. I am also scoping a scouts EV badge similar to my profile pic with my group leader.

Please see outline plan below. I welcome other suggestions
  1. Welcome and beaver call (start at 1830)
  2. Opening activity (5 mins)
  3. Visitor discussion on EVs - this can be a small chat to a full-blown power point (10-15 mins)
  4. Visit the EV (parked at the back) and look at the engine, battery, Q&As, etc (20 mins)
  5. Main activity x2 - (20 mins)
    1. build lego car with battery ( I will bring lego, if others have lego or similar then happy for you to bring)
    2. paper activity looking at charging time versus distance EV can travel from Westcroft to Xscape, to J14; to Luton, and to London (any other simple games/activities welcomed. I will be tinkering with this for the next couple weeks)
  6. Closing activity (5 mins)
  7. Close (1745)
Can i get confirmation on who will do the visit/bring EV etc?

My many thanks

Navin
Ag. Beaver Leader

·
Registered
7 Posts
One week to go for the Beaver Scouts to find out about EVs.

I had a 'go' at an EV activity paper - attached. Happy for comments etc. Also took the liberty to add the SpeakEV logo on it as it can help PR etc.

Just a nudge to check who can come and help out on the night. Just 30 mins of your time :))))))

My thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,458 Posts
If there's no other volunteers then I will come along with my Nissan Leaf! Very happy to talk in front of the group and answer questions as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts