Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. We've ordered our car now (Ioniq) and so I'm fully into trying to solve my home charging problem (which you can see on my other thread). Just a quick question, though: Looking at the Ohme charger, it's very compact until you look at the holster for the 'nozzle', which, with the nozzle in it sticks out quite a way. I've noticed, though that there is a cap for the end of the nozzle. Is it okay just to put this cap on and leave the nozzle hanging over the hook, thereby reducing the protrusion, or does this create weatherproofing issues?

Also, different question: if I went down the route of getting a socket or a dumb charger and plugged an Ohme lead into that, would I be able to set it up as a 'tethered lead'? ie leave it there hanging on a hook in a way that was weatherproof and safe.

Thank you.

Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
Fine to leave the plug wrapped around the holster instead of inserted into it (see pic). I queried the depth protrusion when having it installed and the answer was that over time the cable will soften where it enters the plug and will dangle more loosely when fully holstered.
A bit of advice, if you have several locations available where your charger is to be installed, think about any future ev's you might have and where the charge port is located on the vehicle. I sited my Ohme a perfect distance for my i3, which I then replaced with an Ioniq which has the charge port on the opposite side of the vehicle - meaning I have to 'shuffle' the car each time I need to charge rather than just straight reversing onto the drive.
First World problems, I know 馃榾
Alternatively, spec a longer cable than you currently need.

Enjoy the Ioniq, doesn't have savagery of the i3 when planting your foot but in pretty much all other regards its a better car - my opinion at least!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. This is exactly the answer I needed. Appreciate it.

Edit: I am going from a 15 year old manual deisel Honda Civic to a brand new Ioniq so I reckon it's going to be a bit of a culture shock!

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
My Rolec had the same sticky-out problem. So I obtained a separate wall holster and I was able to then mount a 45-degree 'wedge' of wood to the wall with the hypotenuse facing downwards. Then, with the new socket mounted on that face, the plug handle runs downwards, parallel to the wall, rather than sticking out sideways.

I see that they now make such angled socket plug holders that would do the same job and avoid that annoying intrusion into walking spaces. They also have a locking mechanism to prevent the plug from falling out.

Type 2 EV Plug Holders | ecoHarmony

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Rolec had the same sticky-out problem. So I obtained a separate wall holster and I was able to then mount a 45-degree 'wedge' of wood to the wall with the hypotenuse facing downwards. Then, with the new socket mounted on that face, the plug handle runs downwards, parallel to the wall, rather than sticking out sideways.

I see that they now make such angled socket plug holders that would do the same job and avoid that annoying intrusion into walking spaces. They also have a locking mechanism to prevent the plug from falling out.

Type 2 EV Plug Holders | ecoHarmony
Oooh, this is clever! Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts