Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve got a new Zoe GT35 and was disappointed to see it didn’t have a granny charger. I’m currently looking at some alternatives. I normally charge at a (white) Tesla destination charger in a car park. These are rarely busy but my back up are some commando sockets in the car park. i have bought a 3 pin to commando adapter for this for my other car-which comes supplied with a granny charger.

Given that for the Zoe I’d need to buy a new or second hand granny charger for £100-£500, a more elegant solution is to buy a Tesla UMC, 3 pin charger and get their commando adapter that allows faster charging (depending on the unknown rating of the commando socket).

My understanding is that the Zoe is notoriously fussy about what it will accept charge from so has anyone tried the above?

ps I did do a search for this and nothing came up but now see it has been done....

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Best bet is to get a second hand Renault granny charger.

The Tesla UMC can work, but my current ZE50 isn't liking it. I haven't tried it lately as I have a home charger.

NEVER EVER EVER CHARGE THE ZOE WITH THE UMC ON THREE PHASE. Bad things will happen.

If you are looking to buy a granny charger, is there a particular reason why you don't want a dedicated charging point? The Zoe is very inefficient on the granny charger.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you

As I said in the post above I need a back up for when I charge away. I have a 7kW charger at home. If the Zoe is sniffy about the Tesla charger then it’s not a good back up and I’ll plug a granny charger into a 3 pin/commando adapter. I have a granny charger in my other car but I’d rather have a dedicated one for the Zoe
There’s a leaf type 2 granny charger for sale in classifieds and I’m patiently waiting for the seller to answer

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
The 3
Best bet is to get a second hand Renault granny charger.

The Tesla UMC can work, but my current ZE50 isn't liking it. I haven't tried it lately as I have a home charger.

NEVER EVER EVER CHARGE THE ZOE WITH THE UMC ON THREE PHASE. Bad things will happen.
The Tesla Gen 2 UMC doesn't support 3 phase power (so no risks there!) but does support automatic phase switching which is handy for places like France (y)

I am Zoe-less at present but if my ZE50 ever arrives I will certainly test our Gen 2 (from Model 3) on it. It worked OK on the ZE40 the few times I tried.

Getting a Gen 2 UMC for a Zoe isn't a bad idea. It is a lot more expensive that a second hand Zoe one but the increased capabilities probably make it worthwhile for some people, such as easy to switch to European plug, 16A commando (*) and 32A commando options, etc.

Useful link - Tesla Mobile Connector (sometimes referred to as a UMC / Universal Mobile Connector) Explained including Gen 1 & Gen 2 differences

* In UK Gen 2 came with 16A commando initially but it is now a cost option.

Reactions: Rentagas
1 - 7 of 7 Posts