Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order for a Tekna Leaf on 1st March but am very concerned about range etc. due to #rapidgate. I still have no indication of arrival time. The sales guy I have been dealing with at the Somerset Nissan dealers had never even heard of #rapidgate when I spoke to him last week about my concerns and I had to explaijn to him what it was all about!

I am also very concerned about the eventual resale price I will get later on when I decide to change the car.

Am I likely to get a refund of my £500 deposit if I now cancel due to these concerns?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
I would say that it really depends on the sort of use you are expecting to make of it.

If you rarely do less than 100 miles in a day, and more than 200 in a day would seem alien to you - then feel free to continue.

If you have a favourite aunt that lives 300 miles away, or live in the South West (which from your mention of Somerset I assume you do) and tend to holiday in the Lake District... then unless you have an alternative car, or trust the availability and complication of the Nissan "load car" scheme, then it may be a major problem.

The resale price is an interesting issue - and a good reason to try for a PCP if possible (though I hear they have stopped offering those... almost like Nissan are worried about resale value!).

Your deposit? You should get it back, especially when you tell them that it is because of facts that they did not make you aware of when you placed the order.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Depending on your dealer, be prepared for a fight if you decide to cancel! Especially if it's a customer spec car (ie not from stock) If you paid the deposit on credit card you gave a slightly easier fight imo though.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
If they try to get out of refunding the deposit, tell them you are more than happy to take it to the small claims court, where you will ensure that the local press cover it.

·
Registered
2018 Soul EV
2,554 Posts
@leafchris Purchasing the car if it suits your needs is one thing, finding a used buyer down the road that it suits the needs of is quite another. Depreciation on a purchased car certainly will not be helped by the rapid issue. The decision is of course yours to make but I would be PCP/PCHing rather than purchasing or looking at an alternative. As you are buying availability of an ex demo is likely easier and cheaper compared to waiting god knows how long for a new model. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
We've once cancelled an order, for a Mini.
The dealer was a bit huffy, but refunded no problem.
They should be the same with you, given that there should be someone else waiting to take it on easily enough.
It's not as of the Leaf can be personalised to degrees that would make 'your' one odd.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I should have thought that the rapid issue is only going to concern a very few drivers who customarily rapid charge three or more times a day. My use of my Leaf has never led to more than two rapid charges (usually not more than one) in a day so it would not bother me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the #Rapidgate is definitely a thing, but it's also greatly exaggerated by youtube channels looking for things to talk about surrounding their new Leafs.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
The rapidgate thing is of no consequence to me....
What would bother me is reports of the likes of 98 miles on 93% charge at low speeds etc.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I placed an order for a Tekna Leaf on 1st March but am very concerned about range etc. due to #rapidgate. I still have no indication of arrival time. The sales guy I have been dealing with at the Somerset Nissan dealers had never even heard of #rapidgate when I spoke to him last week about my concerns and I had to explaijn to him what it was all about!

I am also very concerned about the eventual resale price I will get later on when I decide to change the car.

Am I likely to get a refund of my £500 deposit if I now cancel due to these concerns?
If you paid the deposit via distance selling (i.e. online or telephone) you are entitled to the deposit back in any event. If you test drove the car and paid the deposit at the dealership it isn't so clear cut as distance selling regs won't apply.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,863 Posts
I should have thought that the rapid issue is only going to concern a very few drivers who customarily rapid charge three or more times a day. My use of my Leaf has never led to more than two rapid charges (usually not more than one) in a day so it would not bother me.
I also feel that in 2 to 3 years time when most come to change their cars this will have been forgotten about or at least a dim memory.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
The £500 deposit is normally for a pre-order and is fully refundable if you decide not to place a firm order. I did ask my salesman what would happen if I had to cancel for any reason, and was told it was no problem as they had people queuing up for them.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Firstly are you happy with the deal you got in £s ?

If so and you will do 95%+ of your journeys with a maximum of 1 rapid charge (so a realistic maximum journey per day of say 225- 250 miles )and if you are “buying” on a PCH deal then I suggest you stick with the order. It’s exactly my position. The car even with rapidgate will cover 99%of my travel with a max of 1 rapid. At the end of the lease period you just hand the car back. The same goes for a PCH deal as again at the end of the contract just hand the car back. The resale value of the car in these situations is of no real concern and if the car is only worth 30 Bob , it’s RCI finance’s problem then not yours ( assuming the car is handed back in fair ware and tear condition for its age as per the Lease guidelines)

But if you are buying the car either cash or with a bank loan then personally I think I would bale out now and wait for the 60 kw car next year. Another thread has suggested that Nationwide leasing has cut residual values by £4000. If this rapidgate isn’t resolved then the trade in / sale value of a Leaf 2 will be adversely affected. By how much is anyone’s guess. If this method of purchase was yours then maybe go lease a Soul EV for 2 yrs from DriveElectric for circa £250 a month and then in 2 yrs look at buying a Leaf then.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
The resale price is an interesting issue - and a good reason to try for a PCP if possible (though I hear they have stopped offering those... almost like Nissan are worried about resale value!).
As far as I know, it is PCH they have stopped offering, not PCP. Resale price is a concern to me too, since I will be buying mine after the minimum 3 months PCP to qualify for Nissan's extra £1000 is up. That's why I want this to blow over as soon as possible! Still I will probably be keeping mine for a good few years.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I also feel that in 2 to 3 years time when most come to change their cars this will have been forgotten about or at least a dim memory.
Yes for probably the majority of “buyers” using PCH or PCP it will be a virtual non event. I would guess that the vast majority of these owners will like me hardly ever need more than 1 rapid on their journeys. So #rapidgate will be a virtual non event. At the end of the 3 or 4 year lease/pch period the cars will get handed back and we will move onto our next cars, whatever they might be.

But there is a sizeable minority that will regularly do regular, longer trips necessitating 2 or more rapids. These owners will remember the inconvenience of waiting forever to get their “rapid charges” that will allow them to complete their journeys. These people will not forget.

There will also be a small minority of owners who have actually purchased in full the car. #rapidgate if not rectified will most certainly adversely affect the value of the car, which will hit these owners in the pocket when the time comes to sell or trade in. Again these people will remember what Nissan did to them and no doubt will never buy Nissan again.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think resale value could be the Big Issue. As EV's become properly capable the limits of this particular model could become a major factor. I could even see it in those lists of top ten 'what were they thinking' car models. The Leaf thirty would be seen as a limited car but okay for the 'older' driver who's not in a hurry.. okay for the odd holiday if needed with top up breaks. But the Leaf 2 just won't practically do that by the look of it. That would be my concern with an outright purchase.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
In 5 years time lots of cities will be banning or charging ICE to enter, so people will be looking for used EVs to drive to work, shopping, etc. A used Leaf 40 would be a lovely car to do that in, so IMO they will do OK on used market. Look at used prices of old Leaf 24 today - they are still over £5K with very short range!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,863 Posts
Again these people will remember what Nissan did to them and no doubt will never buy Nissan again.
There's one here that will not buy Renault again if he can help it. There's a good reason why the last one was called 'Titanic'. I've only got this one because there is a dearth of EVs available to buy at the present time. I have all my fingers and toes crossed that there will be something in my price and size bracket when 2021 comes around. Hopefully something Korean, but I'm also keen to see what PSA produce.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,262 Posts
Personally, if I had any aspirations to put up with the Leaf's uncomfortable driving position, then this hot battery issue has nailed that. I would cancel. If you emailed or posted your order, or gave a credit card over the phone for the deposit (always do this if you can) then it is a remote transaction and you have a legal right to cancel anything at all* until 14 days after it is delivered.

*(except perishable goods or where there is a specific contract condition that is legally 'fair')

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
you have a legal right to cancel anything at all* until 14 days after it is delivered.
Actually its 30 days since 2015 (Consumer Rights Act 2015).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts