Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
The VW folk said affordable was it being c£26k. I referenced the MG ZS EVas being the only affordable EV of ID3 size being on sale in the U.K. at present. At present they are on sale below £26k.
The ID3 looks a good car but £35k plus is not affordable and perhaps VW were unwise to refer to it as an affordable car for the masses.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
The VW folk said affordable was it being c£26k. I referenced the MG ZS EVas being the only affordable EV of ID3 size being on sale in the U.K. at present. At present they are on sale below £26k.
The ID3 looks a good car but £35k plus is not affordable and perhaps VW were unwise to refer to it as an affordable car for the masses.
Where was it said it would be £26k? Thats about the UK price of a new 35.8 kWh e-Golf after incentives/PICG, and as an e-Golf is essentially hand assembled in small numbers I’m optimistic a mass produced ID3 with a smaller battery could get somewhere near that number.

For the ID3 first edition, £35k after PICG feels about right for the battery size and specification?

I suspect VW are waiting for the last of the e-Golfs to be sold off before committing to a final price.

Also, don’t forget that the headline price isn’t really all that important nowadays (£40k+ VED aside) as it’s monthly PCP or Lease figures that are important. VW FS have the muscle and capital to make lease and finance deals very attractive if they so choose.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The “affordable “ pricing was referenced in various media following briefings from VW. Anyway I am not sure we are disagreeing about the likely cost of the 1st Edition £35/£36k in UK. I am just saying at that price it is not a car for the many but the few (now where have I heard that before?!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where was it said it would be £26k? Thats about the UK price of a new 35.8 kWh e-Golf after incentives/PICG, and as an e-Golf is essentially hand assembled in small numbers I’m optimistic a mass produced ID3 with a smaller battery could get somewhere near that number.

For the ID3 first edition, £35k after PICG feels about right for the battery size and specification?

I suspect VW are waiting for the last of the e-Golfs to be sold off before committing to a final price.

Also, don’t forget that the headline price isn’t really all that important nowadays (£40k+ VED aside) as it’s monthly PCP or Lease figures that are important. VW FS have the muscle and capital to make lease and finance deals very attractive if they so choose.
No it does not. £35k seems fine comparatively to what else is on offer. Albeit personally I would pay the extra for the model 3 if they were that close in price, even though I would much prefer a car the shape and size of the id3.
£35k is way to much for what you are getting. £30,000 should be the ceiling for this car. The ID was supposed to be priced similar to an equivalent diesel golf. I have a diesel golf, and there is no chance I would ever pay above £25k for one let alone above £30 or £35k.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
No it does not. £35k seems fine comparatively to what else is on offer. Albeit personally I would pay the extra for the model 3 if they were that close in price, even though I would much prefer a car the shape and size of the id3.
£35k is way to much for what you are getting. £30,000 should be the ceiling for this car. The ID was supposed to be priced similar to an equivalent diesel golf. I have a diesel golf, and there is no chance I would ever pay above £25k for one let alone above £30 or £35k.
Well, I guess we’ll see won’t we!

What you’d like to pay for an ID3 1st Edition and what you end up being asked to pay may be very different.

Remember, we’re talking about the 1st Edition that VW as far as I can remember never said would be diesel Golf money, they’ll come later we’re promised.

58 kWh, 200+ mile range for the 1st? Sounds ok to me at £35k compared to what else is out there.

But as I say, price at the moment is speculation.

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
as far as I can remember never said would be diesel Golf money, they’ll come later we’re promised.
Yes and they said "comparable Diesel Golf" so compare against DSG Golf TDI 150 in higher spec at RRP ~£27K. That sounds viable for small battery ID3, especially after grant.

Prices will drop (or discounts increase) as they increase production and their battery contract volume discounts kick in, probably from 2021.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
The base spec ID. 3 has rear speakers listed as an option????
It's very hard to compare like for like yet.
EVs are still very expensive for what they are when compared to the ICE equivalent and VW aren't any different yet. Maybe they will be in a few years time but at the moment you have to want to drive electric and only if you drive plenty of miles do the cost savings start to even things out, or getting a really good deal on a car.

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
VW need 95% of hatch buyers to choose a fossil fuel Golf in 2020, not the ID3. They will set trims, prices and discounts to sell their production capacity. It is also why the interior isn't like a Golf and the marketing is aimed at a younger, funkier demographic.

VW do not want to create EV demand they can't fulfil as that might delay loyal customers from trading in for a new VW or (worse still) buy another brand.

·
Registered
854 Posts
As most people buy these cars on some form of a lease/PPC, then we really need to wait for this rather than the list price. VW has a history of low depreciation, higher residuals and 'support' for leasing. When you look at leasing threads on other sites, VAG can often be the cheapest cars on a monthly basis.

However, I have been saying this type of thing for a while and no manufacturer in the last 18 months has set high residuals as they don't need to take a risk as demand is high and supply is low. So we will have to wait and see. I agree with Proddick, VW don't want to make the pricing too keen as they will be stuffed when it comes to lack of supply.

·
Registered
69 Posts
VW need 95% of hatch buyers to choose a fossil fuel Golf in 2020, not the ID3. They will set trims, prices and discounts to sell their production capacity. It is also why the interior isn't like a Golf and the marketing is aimed at a younger, funkier demographic.

VW do not want to create EV demand they can't fulfil as that might delay loyal customers from trading in for a new VW or (worse still) buy another brand.
All speculation.

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
All speculation.
No, 95% is a fact based on 2020 production capability of ID3 vs. number of Golf's sold in 2018. They aren't even selling ID3 in many countries (eg USA) to reduce demand.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
No, 95% is a fact based on 2020 production capability of ID3 vs. number of Golf's sold in 2018. They aren't even selling ID3 in many countries (eg USA) to reduce demand.
In fairness, why would you try and over-market a vehicle that you can only make a finite number of?

They’re going to try and sell their planned production capacity of ID3 (which looks like it’ll be easy enough) and in the meantime they meet the demand for their ICE products with the rest of their capacity.

I don’t see this as a problem, VW are at the start of a transformation and what else are they to do?

The uncomfortable truth for some is that we need profitable ICE models (and therefore companies) in order to make the transition to an EV future.

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
In fairness, why would you try and over-market a vehicle that you can only make a finite number of?

They’re going to try and sell their planned production capacity of ID3 (which looks like it’ll be easy enough) and in the meantime they meet the demand for their ICE products with the rest of their capacity.

I don’t see this as a problem, VW are at the start of a transformation and what else are they to do?

The uncomfortable truth for some is that we need profitable ICE models (and therefore companies) in order to make the transition to an EV future.
I agree and (for once) it isn't meant as a criticism of VW, but is the reality of a company transitioning from selling 99% fossil fuel cars today. Ford and others are going to have the same problems over the next few years.

The point I was making is that VW can't offer a £25K ID3 in 2020 because they don't have sufficient production to satisfy the demand that would create. £35K tempers initial demand and (if necessary) they may offer lower spec in UK to increase demand to the 60K (or whatever) production in 2020.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree and (for once) it isn't meant as a criticism of VW, but is the reality of a company transitioning from selling 99% fossil fuel cars today. Ford and others are going to have the same problems over the next few years.

The point I was making is that VW can't offer a £25K ID3 in 2020 because they don't have sufficient production to satisfy the demand that would create. £35K tempers initial demand and (if necessary) they may offer lower spec in UK to increase demand to the 60K (or whatever) production in 2020.
You also have to remember that battery production is still very expensive, this in itself will keep prices high if the manufacturers want to make good margins on their EV's.
Look at Tesla, even now they are struggling to bring down Battery costs significantly to be able to offer a £35k Tesla Model 3.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts