Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an e2008 back in February, with expected late April / May delivery. Now the dealer can't even get information from the factory as to when it will be built, and has no idea on delivery. So, decided to cancel the order. Got a Hyundai Kona Premium SE ordered instead UK stock with delivery expected Within two weeks.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,871 Posts
Maybe it’s more popular than Peugeot anticipated. They won’t/can’t make enough to supply demand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much more was the kona?
Paying just under £39,000.00 for the Kona, went with the Premium SE, which is the top of the range model. I understand the car has had a bit of an upgrade since it first came out a couple of years ago. It now has a 10.25" multimedia display rather than the old 8" one.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Maybe it’s more popular than Peugeot anticipated. They won’t/can’t make enough to supply demand.
They won't be making much (if any) profit on their EVs so (like many OEMs) will limit numbers to achieve EU emission target. Their leader isn't a big EV fan...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Paying just under £39,000.00 for the Kona, went with the Premium SE, which is the top of the range model. I understand the car has had a bit of an upgrade since it first came out a couple of years ago. It now has a 10.25" multimedia display rather than the old 8" one.
Is the e-2008 GT really around £38k?! Or are there discounts?

If it is, then the Kona or e-Niro seem like the obvious choices at only slightly more....

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

If it is, then the Kona or e-Niro seem like the obvious choices at only slightly more....
£34k according to carwow ;)

JJ

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
£34k according to carwow ;)

JJ
Ah OK....£5k...yea that starts to ask the question about whether there is a sizeable difference to justify the cost difference.
I think the Kona still slightly edges it, particularly since I also have no reason to believe the Kona won't hold that £5k difference in value over it's ownership.

·
Registered
385 Posts

On a lease through BestCarFinder (brand of Alliance Asset Management) vis leasing dot com, I managed to get the Mrs an e-2008 GT with pearl paint and 10 miles a year for £12,400 over 3 years including VAT.

It was already cheap enough over 2 years, but the monthlies were literally pennies more over 3 years so it would’ve been nuts to say “no”.

That’s got to be similar to if not slightly less than depreciation over the same term.

£34 a month more than the tiny, broken Zoe 50 we sent back this morning for a refund.

Delivery end August/September.

Knocking on £40k, or even £35k for a 160 mile Peugeot would’ve hurt.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That’s got to be similar to if not slightly less than depreciation over the same term.
Maybe...maybe not! Given how values have been over the last few years there is certainly a chance it may be more expensive.

Price changes, limited supplies and reductions in PIGC have meant that had you bought a Kona a couple of years back when they were released you would have seen little to no depreciation.
Unlikely to be that sort of level with the e-2008 but it's not beyond impossible that levels will be less than £4,000/year.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Maybe...maybe not! Given how values have been over the last few years there is certainly a chance it may be more expensive.

Price changes, limited supplies and reductions in PIGC have meant that had you bought a Kona a couple of years back when they were released you would have seen little to no depreciation.
Unlikely to be that sort of level with the e-2008 but it's not beyond impossible that levels will be less than £4,000/year.
Maybe. But any form of buying would be a hell of a gamble just to mitigate what would likely be minimal losses over leasing.....I don’t/wouldn’t want to own a 3 year old, 30k mile Peugeot my wife’s been using 😳

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Maybe. But any form of buying would be a hell of a gamble just to mitigate what would likely be minimal losses over leasing.....I don’t/wouldn’t want to own a 3 year old, 30k mile Peugeot my wife’s been using 😳
I think you may be underestimating just how much you could have saved....

£3,000 depreciation based on trade-in price after 1yr/44k miles....

But I have to say, I do agree. For some reason I can't see the same happening for the e-2008! £20k trade for a 3yr old one seems ambitious for some reason and not sure why? I think it's the range?

That being said I don't think paying £12.5k to rent one for a few years is much better, but to each their own!
I have never quite got my head around buying/leasing new cars....seems like a hell of a let of extra cost for very little gain. There was a brand new Zoe next to my used one when I picked mine up from the dealer. If it wasn't for the number plate I wouldn't have known which one was which....

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think you may be underestimating just how much you could have saved....

£3,000 depreciation based on trade-in price after 1yr/44k miles....

But I have to say, I do agree. For some reason I can't see the same happening for the e-2008! £20k trade for a 3yr old one seems ambitious for some reason and not sure why? I think it's the range?

That being said I don't think paying £12.5k to rent one for a few years is much better, but to each their own!
I have never quite got my head around buying/leasing new cars....seems like a hell of a let of extra cost for very little gain. There was a brand new Zoe next to my used one when I picked mine up from the dealer. If it wasn't for the number plate I wouldn't have known which one was which....
There’s nothing BEV around on the used market that fits our needs in terms of space, range and price. Long term values are difficult to predict. The tech’s ever changing and now there’s a global depression in the offing.
Plus, I don’t want anything electric out of warranty at any point during ownership. The tech’s only been for sale for 9 years. Not enough is known about long term ownership yet.
So that’s used EV ownership out for us. Too much of a gamble in my book. Not just financial. It’s the aggravation factor.

Buying and running any new or used ICE doesn’t work on my wife’s mileage when compared to EV running costs. She’s been clear she never wants any thing ICE based ever again.

Leasing the right EV for our needs at the lowest possible price gives the best balance for us. Rental cost needs to be comparable to likely depreciation for it to work.
The previous two EVs we’ve leased have cost us a lot less to rent than they would’ve done if we’d owned them. I’ve then bought them and sold them some time and miles later, before their warranties have expired, for what I paid for them. So we’re ahead of the game compared to buying.

Admittedly a Peugeot, which ought to have a softer residual than a BMW, is a bit of a gamble. But I’m easy. If it ends up costing us a bit more than depreciation would’ve, at least I’ve not got the hassle of disposing of it. Absolutely done with all that.

The Kona doesn’t work on any basis for us. Too small inside. Boot’s also too small. Interior has too much cheap feeling plastic. Peugeot is marginally less plasticy!
With lots of similar range EVs on the way the Kona/e-Niro bubble won’t last.

Looked at the e-Niro. Much larger interior and boot. Comparable to the Peugeot. Had one on hire for 4 months whilst the i3S was being repaired. Impressed with the whole package but there’s up to 12 months wait.
Also, the Mrs doesn’t need 64kWh’s range, so there’s little point paying the for it.

Both cars have similar list price, but the Kia can cost over 50% more to lease.

As you say, each to their own 😊

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I’ve then bought them and sold them some time and miles later, before their warranties have expired, for what I paid for them.
Yea...this is exactly what I was getting at! Buy used for a good price and then sell a couple of years later and cut the costs dramatically! No need to keep a used car any longer than new car...I don't plan on keeping my Zoe much longer and I've only had it 18months. Mind you the plan to get a Tesla seems more difficult to justify now I can work from home 100%.... :(

What I was trying to say is I don't understand paying the costly depreciation (bought or leased) before hand!
But you are right, choice is very limited at the moment, so I guess it forces you to look at new...

·
Registered
213 Posts
There’s nothing BEV around on the used market that fits our needs in terms of space, range and price. Long term values are difficult to predict. The tech’s ever changing and now there’s a global depression in the offing.
Plus, I don’t want anything electric out of warranty at any point during ownership. The tech’s only been for sale for 9 years. Not enough is known about long term ownership yet.
So that’s used EV ownership out for us. Too much of a gamble in my book. Not just financial. It’s the aggravation factor.

Buying and running any new or used ICE doesn’t work on my wife’s mileage when compared to EV running costs. She’s been clear she never wants any thing ICE based ever again.

Leasing the right EV for our needs at the lowest possible price gives the best balance for us. Rental cost needs to be comparable to likely depreciation for it to work.
The previous two EVs we’ve leased have cost us a lot less to rent than they would’ve done if we’d owned them. I’ve then bought them and sold them some time and miles later, before their warranties have expired, for what I paid for them. So we’re ahead of the game compared to buying.

Admittedly a Peugeot, which ought to have a softer residual than a BMW, is a bit of a gamble. But I’m easy. If it ends up costing us a bit more than depreciation would’ve, at least I’ve not got the hassle of disposing of it. Absolutely done with all that.

The Kona doesn’t work on any basis for us. Too small inside. Boot’s also too small. Interior has too much cheap feeling plastic. Peugeot is marginally less plasticy!
With lots of similar range EVs on the way the Kona/e-Niro bubble won’t last.

Looked at the e-Niro. Much larger interior and boot. Comparable to the Peugeot. Had one on hire for 4 months whilst the i3S was being repaired. Impressed with the whole package but there’s up to 12 months wait.
Also, the Mrs doesn’t need 64kWh’s range, so there’s little point paying the for it.

Both cars have similar list price, but the Kia can cost over 50% more to lease.

As you say, each to their own 😊
Have been looking at the e-Niro recently and lease prices are going down and waiting time quoted is now around 6 months. Have a look at either Drive Electric or Nationwidevehiclecontracts to see what i mean. Maybe and indication that the industry is starting to fight for business

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
My Zoe 40 appreciated

JJ
To compare with a "normal" car the battery rental costs need to added in, so you made a small loss overall. Still cheap motoring for two years (y)
Have been looking at the e-Niro recently and lease prices are going down and waiting time quoted is now around 6 months. Have a look at either Drive Electric or Nationwidevehiclecontracts to see what i mean. Maybe and indication that the industry is starting to fight for business
I think some better deals at present are due to softer salary sacrifice demand as people feel less secure. They are keeping their old ICE and maybe hoping a scrappage deal will come. Also, some manufacturers are offering more support as want to sell ULEZs this quarter to keep the EU emission fines at bay.

As others have said, it is very difficult to predict future values. If VW do have a £25K ID.3 in 2022 people won't be paying £20K for a 2 year old Zoe or e208, which is what some of the lease deals effectively require. Of course, if PICG disappeared then new prices would rise again - they did last time it reduced, despite conspiracy theorists being convinced it doesn't reduce costs.

I suspect older EVs might hold up well as not everyone wants new or to lease/PCP, so buying a £9K Leaf today (for example) might not drop much. Lower range cars will continue to be viable for commuting, local driving, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts