Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with the Golf GTE I have purchased (the car is from 2016).
The car is not allowing me to change the modes manually. Pushing the e-mode button does nothing. No notification in the display, no changes in behavior. If the charge is enough, the car will start in the electric mode and will drive in electric until 0 miles range and then change to the hybrid driving mode. But there is no possibility to change the mode. Also, the GTE button does not work (no impact on driving specification, no notification). The e-mode button is glowing (so there is no cable detached issue).
Has anyone had the same issue? Have you managed to solve it?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,845 Posts
Hi @thomecq,

How long have you had the car? Get it back to the dealer.

They need to reset the system and code the key to the car. I'm assuming the key has recently been changed or battery changed, etc, but the coding of the key is out of sync with the car management. It is possible that the car has been reset as well, e.g. disconnected 12v battery.

I have had this happen to one of my keys (spare key, which battery had died), so I had to take both keys to the local VW dealer. It cost £140 or an hours work. But in reality, i think it is something like 15min to do the coding, as when i got my car back and tested the keys, the problem was still there. Went back and and in 15 had the problem fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just bought it couple days ago.
I did get it from private owner, not from the dealer.
So probably I will need to go to the dealer to have it fixed.
I was thinking if disconnecting the 12v battery for couple of minutes could help?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,845 Posts
No, it wouldn't help. That is probably what got the car in trouble.

How many keys do you have? Try both?

By the way, you can always turn on the ICE (whenever you want) even if the car is fully charged. Just press your accelerator all the way down (there should be slight click at the end). You can't go back to E-mode while driving though.

WARNING: do not do this in limited space or in busy traffic, the car will accelerate at max pace!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
By the way, you can always turn on the ICE (whenever you want) even if the car is fully charged. Just press your accelerator all the way down (there should be slight click at the end). You can't go back to E-mode while driving though.
Maybe my car is different but if you start driving "normally" after going into this kickdown mode, the car will switch back to electric. If this is the first time you have done this in a while, it likes to run the engine for a few minutes, but subsequent times generally will switch back to electric a few seconds after you lift off the power.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,845 Posts
Sorry, probably did not make myself clear, but by pressing the accelerator "to the metal" your car will switch to Hybrid Hold mode (for my car which has 5 modes). I did not mean to say that the ICE will stay on....

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
So that must be a difference between our cars, because in my car it stays in E-mode and briefly behaves as if it is in hybrid mode.

This mode also lets you exploit, shall we say, an interesting "bug" where you can go faster than (ahem, officer) 84 mph in electric. If you kick-down and start the engine, then lift off the throttle while staying above 84 mph, you can gently accelerate up to quite some speed on electric only mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts