Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just bought a used 2014 Zoe, but cant charge it at home, i keep getting errors, I'm using the Renault EVSE, and I live in a old building. What can I do ?

I have heard that Zoes are picky due to earth connections, is there a way to fix it ?

I have tried charging the car in my brother's garage and it charges fine, it is a newer building. But I cant let my car charging there.

So I kinda need a solution ASAP.

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Do you mean the granny cable?

Maybe get a new socket and cable installed from the consumer unit. Or better still a Type 2 EVSE.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the granny cable?

Maybe get a new socket and cable installed from the consumer unit. Or better still a Type 2 EVSE.
I have bought a new socket but still cant charge, and yes I am talking about the renault granny cable.

Do you mean a level 2 Evse charger?

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
I have bought a new socket but still cant charge, and yes I am talking about the renault granny cable.

Do you mean a level 2 Evse charger?
There may be an issue with the cable size or age, or the type of RCD installed in the Consumer Unit. Is the property quite old?

Either way with a Zoe it's best to get a proper EVSE that will charge at over 16 amps. It's quite inefficient to charge with the granny cable.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
So if your house has substandard earth there is nothing you can do on the car or evse. Fix the earth issue in your house.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The car doesn't care how "old" the installation cabling is. However it will object if there is a supply problem ( reversed L / N, missing Protective Earth etc etc.

At the very least, get a Martindale socket tester and plug that in to see if there is an obvious problem. Then get a proper Electrician to inspect and correct any wiring defects in your house.

Martindale BZ101 Buzz Socket Tester

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
The car doesn't care how "old" the installation cabling is.
It might do if it was done to an old, Portuguese standard.

Connections and sockets can corrode, increasing the resistance, as I found out when my ZOE granny cable burnt out a socket.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
What is OLD. A 30 year old installation that has been maintained can be better than one poorly installed yesterday.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,682 Posts
@donald is that you?!?
Is 'what' me?

What I would say is that
At the very least, get a Martindale socket tester and plug that in to see if there is an obvious problem. Then get a proper Electrician to inspect and correct any wiring defects in your house.

Martindale BZ101 Buzz Socket Tester
Seems very expensive.

I carry one of these around in case I have to plug in to a 3 pin somewhere and always worth checking first. Was £3 or so off ebay.

To the OP, yeah get your electrics fixed. The Zoe might be an early indication of a problem you should really want to know about, don't ignore it.

I think the Zoe isn't the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,197 Posts
The Zoe is very inefficient charging at 10A so hopefully you are planning to have a proper charging point installed? A charging point outside would have an earth rod so it will likely work fine at your house.

10A charging overnight from a ring socket isn't a great idea IMO as a fault
anywhere on the ring could overheat and cause a fire. I bought a house a while ago where DIY bodging by previous owners had broken the ring and almost all current (including kitchen) was going down one leg of 2.5mm (which a cheap tester won't identify). If you must use the granny then I would recommend a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit (or from a garage CU).

I do agree that probably worth getting your electrics tested for safety if they are old.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will in the future implement a 16A charging solution at home, however i just wanted to charge my car for now at home, while my charging stations card doesnt arrive.

I will have to check the impedence in my home. My electricity goes to the garage and the garage has its own circuit breaker, dont know if that helps with anything.

·
Premium Member
10,197 Posts
I will in the future implement a 16A charging solution at home, however i just wanted to charge my car for now at home, while my charging stations card doesnt arrive.

I will have to check the impedence in my home. My electricity goes to the garage and the garage has its own circuit breaker, dont know if that helps with anything.
Sorry, I didn't spot you are in Portugal - my reply above was more aimed at UK and isn't so relevant! Good luck getting it sorted, hopefully a local electrician will be able to help.

·
Registered
467 Posts

If you can find your earth rod try soaking it with water/other.
Aim for many litres, or at least aim.

·
23,682 Posts

Do you mean it has its own RCD at the consumer box?

·
23,682 Posts
yes, assuming that has the mains lines going straight into it from the fuse box.

Doesn't seem there are enough circuits there for a typical modern home?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, assuming that has the mains lines going straight into it from the fuse box.

Doesn't seem there are enough circuits there for a typical modern home?
this is not mine, its just a random picture on the internet xD
In my Home i have one with multiple switches, in the garage i have one with like 3 switches, 1 for headlamp, 1 for the wallplug, and the main turn off switch for the garage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts