Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our Pod Point solo is giving us a few problems. Most of the time it works just fine.

Over the last few days, when we connect the charger to the Nissan Leaf, if cuts out after a few minutes and trips the power in the house. Charger light is purple.

This happened around 6 months ago, after a bit of faffing around it started working again.

Not sure what the problem is. Not sure who best to call to fix it.

Assume no longer under warranty. Jorro installed it, though our contract was with Pod Point.

Appreciate any help, thank you.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
Call PodPoint - they may be able to "see" the problem remotely.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
and trips the power in the house.
What exactly does this mean? What device does it trip?
Other people have had this kind of problem and it's been the house device that is the problem, but we need more detail to start narrowing it down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What exactly does this mean? What device does it trip?
Other people have had this kind of problem and it's been the house device that is the problem, but we need more detail to start narrowing it down.
All of the sockets in the house stop working and we have to go to the fuse box to reset the trip switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have spoken to Pod Point. As it is an older style charger, they can do nothing remotely.
They haven't offered any suggestions to the cause of the problem, they've just told us how much a motherboard upgrade is (£390) and also the price of a new charger (£540).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sounds like a bad contact in the signal wire. Can you clean the contact, or maybe buy a new lead?

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
reset the trip switch.
Which trip switch exactly? If you can, post a photo if you don't know the different types.
It's important because this could be overload or earth leakage and the fix may be very different (ie. cost much more or less).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much everyone for your input.

I don't know the different types so I'll post a photo of the trip switches.

The original install was 4 years ago by Jorro. 2 years ago we had the charger re-sited when we converted our garage. We moved the charger from inside the garage to an outside wall. We had an electrician move it.

The only new device we've plugged in is the Christmas tree lights and we are using one of the smart/wifi plugs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strangely, we are currently able to charge the car at the moment as it has started working again, consistently.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of why it stopped working so that I can get it fixed properly and be assured that all is safe.

As always, I appreciate your input.

Thank you.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
OK, and it definitely only happens when you are charging the car? That RCD should only trip if the cable to the PodPoint is damaged, not if there is an issue with the PodPoint itself which should have a separate RCD. Are you sure that you are not exceeding the 63A total load that the RCD is rated for - 32A for the car, then a shower, cooker and various ring mains?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, and it definitely only happens when you are charging the car? That RCD should only trip if the cable to the PodPoint is damaged, not if there is an issue with the PodPoint itself which should have a separate RCD. Are you sure that you are not exceeding the 63A total load that the RCD is rated for - 32A for the car, then a shower, cooker and various ring mains?
It's definitely only when we charge the car.
We purchased the 7kw charger even though the car can only charge at 3kw (roughly, I forget the exact number). It should only be using 16A.

When it happens, it's just TV, laptops, overhead lights etc on. No showers, hob or oven.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Is it normal to have an EV charge point sharing the same RCD as all the sockets in the house?

On my install there is a separate mini consumer unit with its own circuit breaker and RCD which go back to the meter tails so if the charge point (or car) were to have a fault it wouldn't trip the power supply in the house and vica versa.

Having one RCD for so many devices (including a power hungry outdoor one like an EV) might be problematic as leakage current of all circuits that run from an RCD is cumulative, so you can get a situation where multiple very slightly leaky devices generate enough earth fault current combined to trip the RCD. That can be quite tricky to track down as any one of those devices on its own isn't enough to cause a trip. Each individual device may be "within spec".

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
Is it normal to have an EV charge point sharing the same RCD as all the sockets in the house?
You can't tell whether that is the case here or not without opening up the front of the CU.

I would expect that there is another mini CU somewhere and that the PodPoint has a TT arrangement, but who knows! I'd be a bit worried that the RCB is the wrong profile, but again .....

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
You can't tell whether that is the case here or not without opening up the front of the CU.
I only see one RCD on that panel and the OP has already said that trying to charge the car trips that RCD. It can't be tripping it if it's not connected through it...

One easy (but harsh :) ) way for the OP to confirm for us that the charge point is going through the main house RCD is to switch it off and see if the charge point goes off...
I would expect that there is another mini CU somewhere and that the PodPoint has a TT arrangement, but who knows! I'd be a bit worried that the RCB is the wrong profile, but again .....
One of the circuit breakers in the panel is labelled "podpoint"... so don't hold your hopes out for a separate CU. It looks to me like they've simply added a circuit breaker for the podpoint off the rail that is served by the RCD. I don't know what the regs say about this but it seems like bad practice to me from a nuisance tripping perspective...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
PodPoint normally fit a second external CU but still have an MCB in the main CU to protect the cable between the two CUs. But was this fitted by PodPoint or a contractor like Jarro who might have done something different? The RCD fitted looks the wrong profile to be protecting the charge point.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
That's the trouble with these whole house rcds and why they don't fit them anymore. It may not be the pod point that is causing the trip, but something else, but it's so hard to trace when it just trips the entire house. My parents had this happen for years and no one could trace it (all sorts of things were suspected like fridge/freezers.. Turned out it was being caused by a very slight leak from a water tank dripping above a ceiling rose and causing a persistent dampness in the lagging on top of the lighting circuit, causing just enough of a current leakage to randomly trip the whole house!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The chances are that the problem is a small leakage in several circuits which add up to more than 30mA which then trips the breaker. There's no individual fault, but the leakage via the Podpoint is perhaps the 'straw that breaks the camel's back'. Most things cause a little bit of earth leakage, just not enough to cause problems. All you can do is to see which combination of items trips the beaker and try and avoid that combination. I wish that electricians would use 120mA breakers on the whole house and only use 30mA on individual circuits. It's annoying than when something trips a local RCD that it also trips the whole house.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts