Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm using the cigarette lighter socket to run an electric cool box, but it seems that van needs to be on to do this, and I can't then lock it.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Plug the coolbox into a jump pack, and leave jump pack plugged into the cigarette lighter to charge when the key is on. You'll need to work out how big a jump pack to buy from the current drawn, and how long you need to park.

Plus, charge the jump pack at home overnight, as the van won't really be going long enough to fully charge it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Perhaps you need to find an alternative 12V supply ? Possibly run a cable from a spare 'always live' terminal of the fusebox.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If this is for something like caravanning, maybe even a 2nd 12v battery and a split charge relay?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Often in cars there are two fuse links for the cigarette lighter in the main fuse and by moving the fuse over you can make it always live.

·
Registered
864 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious...there's a reason Nissan made it turn off when the van is off. The 12V battery really won't last long powering a cool box without the dc to dc converter active. If you do want to bypass the protection, I'd fit a low voltage disconnect relay so that you can still start the van if you're delayed or the battery dies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the risk of stating the obvious...there's a reason Nissan made it turn off when the van is off. The 12V battery really won't last long powering a cool box without the dc to dc converter active. If you do want to bypass the protection, I'd fit a low voltage disconnect relay so that you can still start the van if you're delayed or the battery does.
Don't worry about stating the obvious! Anyway, having the power on is ok, it's just that I can't lock the van. Maybe it's a safety feature?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Don't worry about stating the obvious! Anyway, having the power on is ok, it's just that I can't lock the van. Maybe it's a safety feature?
Think it's just a safety feature to protect you from yourself - i.e., leaving the van powered up or ignition on without noticing. Interesting unintended consequence of silent running and keyless ignition systems I guess!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts