Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, how much capacity does a new Leaf typically have? I am looking at a used one which apparently has 94% of the original capacity but the charge is 19,600 Wh, which to me is 81.7% of 24,000 Wh (new battery). Thanks

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Usable battery is more like 21kWh (maybe as much as 21.7, I don't recall), so that's much closer to the 94% you're seeing.

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
And leaf spy is not totally accurate anyway (people have had funny numbers, e.g. going to turtle with 17% left ...) - best thing is to take it for a test drive and check the range, if you have a known route that you can do in a brand new one to compare. Although most demonstrators may have been damaged by being kept at 100% so that isn't necessarily ideal either!

·
Registered
585 Posts
What makes you say LeafSpy isn't accurate? Going to Turtle at 17% is probably right.
The battery management system won't let you run the battery pack down to 0% because it would be destroyed!
It tries to keep it above 20%. That's why you have a 24kWh battery pack but you can only use approx 21kWh of it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If your 24kwh battery is allowed to run down to 3kwh the that's 12.5%, not 20%.
Don't forget there's 5% reserved at the top as well. Also assumes a new battery. I'm down 10% so factor that in too.
AFAIK the range is 5-95%, so to me 17% is a bit funky. Badly balanced cells?
Anyway as @leave says, it's all a bit of guesswork.
If you're concerned then I guess it's down to you to calibrate your own car and even then it'll vary by temperature.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yes and if 94% capacity could be being double calculated in the charge and discharge cycles before Leafspy arrives at useable capacity of 19.6Kw;

New pack 24Kw minus 10% unusable (2.4) = 21.6 x 94% charge upload = 20.304.
On discharge stated useable 19.6Kw (grainy as rounded to 1 figure after decimal point) /20.304 = 96.53 SOH
Allowing for additionally for unknowns i.e. surface charge dissipation and battery temps and the whole number of 94% which could be half way to 95% it gets very close and might help explain it but I am only guessing too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts