Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a new Passat GTE since January 2018 as a company car. It’s been brilliant except for one problem and that’s the alarm going off whilst the car is on charge.
Thankfully it is only when the car is on charge but this is still an annoyance as it prevents me charging overnight in fear of disturbing the neighbourhood.
The usual pattern is that I return home at 5.30pm and plug the car into the garage plug using the granny cable. After c.2 hours the alarm is triggered by something (average duration before alarm triggered). At this point I just press the Open button on my key (that I now carry around with me) to stop the alarm, press close and the car continues to charge until 10.00pm when it's fully charged, usually without incident. At this point I unplug and that’s that.

The car-net message is “Theft Alarm was triggered due to an action performed on the interior of your vehicle”

I took the car into the VW garage and they couldn’t find a fault. They did say that they re-set the sensitivity of the internal alarm to 80% from the original 100% but this hasn’t solved the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be triggering the alarm?

I’ve looked on here for similar stories and I’ve found a reference to a telematic plug-in to the OBD port. I’m embarrassed to say but I can’t find the OBD port to check whether this could be the culprit. Is it hiding in plain sight? I thought it was meant to be beneath the steering wheel column but apart from a small storage tray near to the driver’s right knee there is no obvious Port.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,398 Posts
If you don't plug it in to charge at all does the alarm never go off at all even with testing over days and always go off with it set to charge again tested over many days?

Can you lock the car without setting the alarm at all? Is it in the garage or on the drive using the garage socket?

It could be related to the car cooling down or vents inside the car allowing too much of a breeze in. Any spider webs in the car?

OBD port access is usually under a bit of trim around the driver knee area. It should be in the owner manual as to where it is. I'd think it is also likely to be in the same location as a normal passat.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
so car takes around 4.5 hours to charge ? ( 5:30 > 10 pm ) ?
and the alarm happens 2hrs in ?

So something in causing perhaps a voltage drop in the car, as if a door opened and the lights came on, or a motion sensor triggers.
But if it doesn't happen when the charge is not being charged ... hmmm..I would not have though there is any interaction between the HV charging system, and the car alarm electronic system.

why not try this
1) Set the car to minimum charge 0% --- so it doesn't start charging when you plug in
2) Set a departure timer to about 10mins before you want to leave home in the morning
3) A bit risker, the alarm now might go off 2hrs before that timer .. ok if you leave 10am, but not if 7 or 8am.
maybe try it for a weekend day when you can set the timer for 11am.
If the alarm goes off again 2 to 2.5 hrs before end of charge then you have more evidence of a bizarre interaction.

On the other hand I did once post about the CarNet Trolls that live in some GTEs, who randomly pop out and use flags to wave status change information at the VW Server Satellites, instead of communicating by SIM-sms. I guess you have those Trolls and they by mistake put a light on in the car to read something, which causes the voltage drop and the alarm to go off

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took deliver your of a Passat GTE last weekend. I’ve the same issue with my car the last couple of nights.

Last night I switched off the interiors alarm sensor, but it hasn’t helped this evening. I took the car out for a once round the block, that seemed to cure it. Have done the same thing evening, except it have done as Gladini has suggested, but without the minimum charge set to 0%. Hoping I don’t get a nasty 5am wake up, along with my neighbours.

Will keep you posted if I come across a solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies and very useful insights.
My car is an estate (without sunroof) charging on the drive outside of the garage.

I will try a couple of things this weekend and report back Monday
1] As Gladini suggested I will set the programmable charge (setting min.charge=0%) to 10 minutes before departure
2] As SRichards suggests I will close all air vents

I will also investigate the OBD2 port if I can find it.

Good luck TimCrone on your issue. Look forward to hearing what works and what doesn't for you.

Many thanks again

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,398 Posts
If the alarm thinks a change in 12v voltage when the car is off is tampering then that might set the alarm off when the charging system goes to check the 12v and top it up?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think this may be related to damp / water ingress.

My estate has the issue other B8 Passats have where water gets trapped inside the tailgate. This has been known to cause the alarm to go off, possibly due to 12v voltage fluctuation as mentioned.

I had an intermittent alarm fault like this over Christmas. Each time the notification said it was an interior event.
The car really suffered with condensation at the time. I thought it was water dripping off the sunroof that was causing the alarm to be triggered.
When I turned off the interior monitor the problem still existed but was less often. It stopped when I got home and parked in my normal sheltered spot, hence my belief it's caused by my leaking tailgate seams.

As others have said, the alarm records the last few reasons it was triggered in the computer. The OBD port is on the drivers side below the little cupboard. If you lie in the footwell and look up you can see it.

Related to the OP's problem. There's a cooling fan that runs in the engine bay intermittently whilst charging. It requires more cooling when using the granny charger, this may be causing your voltage drop (or generate enough heat to push some air through the vents but possibly less likely)

·
Registered
9 Posts
A quick update on my issue:

Past 5 evenings have gone by without problems. I have set up departure times for each day, these include pre-heating and full charge. i have also changes the charge settings, minimum charge is set to 30% with the number of amps set to 10A. This seems to have solved it for now.

Other settings I have setup are the cabin sensor is off, all air vents are open.

Will update again if i come across anymore issues.

Manton, how is yours doing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tried a few things this week
1] set the programmable charge (setting min.charge=0%) to 10 minutes before departure
2] closed all air vents
Unfortunately the alarm is still being triggered by an interior event.

My only recourse until I can get the car back to the garage is to charge with the doors unlocked and then lock them once the charging is complete.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and thank you Patent for the additional insight on the cooling fan and the condensation. It gives me something to discuss with the garage team.
Glad to hear that you have solved your issue TimCrone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you taken it to a public charge point and tried a full charge using the type 2 to type 2 cable? Might be something to help narrow down the problem when you get it back to the garage

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I now have an e-Golf and have the same problem. The alarm went off when the scheduled overnight charging started. I just started a charge manually using Car-Net and that didn’t set it off. My car was parked outside on a cold/wet night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts