Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo guys!

My MY20 e-Niro should be ready early next week, hell yea!!
First new car I've ever bought and am genuinely excited about it! Ok, so i've read everything regarding the Niro, charging, peoples experiences etc but is there a check list I should go through once it arrives?

I've already got and registered the UVO app, checked out our local charging spots, going to fit a spare wheel well etc

The frunk (froot) idea looks useful, as I have a 3D laser scanner at my business and can get something like this designed and made quite easily. I was also thinking perhaps designing a set of rear wheel covers to help increase the range at higher speeds, it would be interesting to see what kind of difference it could potentially make. Perhaps this is an idea for another day, lets get the car and start enjoying it first :)

Cheers,
Mudgey

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good luck. I hope that you have a great experience picking it up. I would so like to make a great-looking frunk. That sounds compelling to me. No access to a 3D printer myself I'm afraid.

What colour is your Niro?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had mine 3 weeks now. Have a look at EVolution videos. There's 3 on "hidden" features although some are not hidden. They're in the manual if you read it as I did (what a nerd!). Useful ones like hanging middle rear seatbelt over back of seat so not to damage leather when dropping seat down, engaging auto regen, etc. What you do is very much individual. Play around with customisation such as ambient light colour, lane safety, how many indicator flashes you want, setting custom * button, clock when display off. I also changed all the existing halogen bulbs to led except the front fog lights. Changing reversing bulb to led gives much better illumination in rear camera (EVolution has video on this) but UK car only has one. You can by the same bulbs as in the video from Auxito directly and they shipped mine from USA to UK for free. Set up Android Auto or Apple Car Play and also download lots of EV apps like Zap Map, Plugshare, Abettercarplanner, Chargemap, Polar, Ionity, Shell, Ecotricity, Chargepoint. Finally get a free Maingau card (Bjorn Nyland video!).
Think that's it for now. Can't believe what a geek I've sounded like! I need to get a life!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yo guys!

My MY20 e-Niro should be ready early next week, hell yea!!
First new car I've ever bought and am genuinely excited about it! Ok, so i've read everything regarding the Niro, charging, peoples experiences etc but is there a check list I should go through once it arrives?

I've already got and registered the UVO app, checked out our local charging spots, going to fit a spare wheel well etc

The frunk (froot) idea looks useful, as I have a 3D laser scanner at my business and can get something like this designed and made quite easily. I was also thinking perhaps designing a set of rear wheel covers to help increase the range at higher speeds, it would be interesting to see what kind of difference it could potentially make. Perhaps this is an idea for another day, lets get the car and start enjoying it first :)

Cheers,
Mudgey
This may sound dull, but read the manual, and put markers in places you may need in future - finding them again can be a pain - tedious though it is, the manual does answer most questions. The PDF version is useful.

Then drive. Play with the drive modes and regen settings - I favour Normal Mode, Level 0 + AUTO, myself; it's entirely a question of what feels right for you. The various setting do not affect efficiency in and of themselves - that's dictated by speed, terrain, weather etc. but perhaps above all driver anticipation. Then set all the other defaults that you can to your liking (annoyingly, some won't, e.g. Auto Hold won't stay ON).
Have fun. You will do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys, picked up the car on Tuesday and have been enjoying the refinement of BEV driving this whole week. Today we went on a 100+ mile road trip and it was so smooth & comfortable, especially with active cruise, makes driving in traffic on the motorway so effortless!

One question, we had a play with the home charger just to see if it works ok, but how do we stop charging to remove it? I opened the car and pulled it out, the phone app then had an error message stating sudden stop to charging. I presume this could damage the vehicle if repeated?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
The usual way is to unlock the car and the charge is paused, sounds to me like you did the right thing.
You have about 30secs to remove the plug before it locks in again and re-starts the charge.
If it's charging the plug is locked in and you can't remove it. Hard to get it wrong AFAIK as there are many safety measures built in.

In terms of things to do, put it in sport mode and enjoy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah fantastic, nice and simple! This kind of worked by accident so glad to know it's not going to damage it. I was kind of looking for a button that 'stops charging' but couldn't see anything.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ah fantastic, nice and simple! This kind of worked by accident so glad to know it's not going to damage it. I was kind of looking for a button that 'stops charging' but couldn't see anything.
I do not think that you would damage the car even if you did not unlock it. There are signal wires in the cable which switch off the charger current if you simply unplug the lead. However, the lead might be locked in if the car is not unlocked so do not force it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you stand by your car so you can see the drivers cluster you will see the charging display on the cluster. You will probably see that the charge rate will have dropped to 0.5kw in anticipation that you may unplug the connector from the car. If you do unplug the charge rate will return to what it was before you unlocked the car. I suspect the message pops up because the supply was interrupted rather than the chargepoint sending a stop charge signal. That is what I have seen with the Ioniq.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the replies, i'll have a play with this next time we need to charge the vehicle! Have to say that I am well impressed with the vehicle!

·
Registered
148 Posts
First thing I'd do is check the software is up to date and, if not, update it. Pointless to familiarise yourself with, and set, all of the options, only to possibly see them all reset/change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I updated mine, and found no new functionality, some screens look different, but I updated it so soon after arrival I cannot be sure.

But I have not found a deviation between the manual and my updated car.

Until the updating site lets you download the correct updater, you may have to pay for the update.

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts