Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This ad on Facebook marketplace. IMHO it’s taking advantage of any uncertainties that prospective new EV owners may have, and at that price, also a bit of a con. I’m a Leaf owner, and yes, there are some complexities to overcome re charging, but that’s why Forums such as this exist, right? And if I were fortunate enough to be a Tesla owner, their charging network is pretty much foolproof?

·
Registered
2018 BMW 330E Msport (returned) MG ZS EV currently
15 Posts
Wow, just wow, can’t believe that this is a real course. Shocking, the college should be ashamed.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,731 Posts
Wow, just wow, can’t believe that this is a real course. Shocking, the college should be ashamed.
It's the market operating again!

There's a perceived need so someone sees it as a business opportunity. If enough people think that it's worth the money, it will be a nice little earner!

Can't see much uptake myself. But I can list a lot of very successful businesses that I thought would never take off.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
I suspect a lot of the takers will have remitted course fees so only a tenner or whatever it is. If it gives a few more pensioners the courage to go electric then it’s a good thing!

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is exactly the sort of thing my mother would go on, after looking for an EV Charging for Dummies book.

The fact that someone is offering a course — and is presumably expecting some uptake — shows that the process is too complex. If chargers all worked and were all contactless payment there isn't much to know beyond the speed differences from Type 2 AC to Chademo/CCS DC. That's no more complicated (and a lot less danger-prone) than the difference between petrol and diesel, and I doubt there's a course for that.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
And if I were fortunate enough to be a Tesla owner, their charging network is pretty much foolproof?
You'd think so, but there are so many posts on the Tesla facebook groups about it that I fear you're wrong.

Plenty of S/X owners confused by how to use a V3 supercharger. Lots of posts from 3 owners asking "I plugged in at 87% charged, why aren't I getting 250kW?". Endless "I'm only getting 11kW from this rapid charger when it says 43kW" (plugged into the AC Type 2).

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Ex. College lecturer here: I think this is a good idea. Level 1 courses are basic AF, and will provide exactly the right level of knowledge for a complete newbie. I’d argue this is useful and necessary, as the charging landscape is so complex. £80 isn’t too bad either, especially as a lot of folk will be able to get it refunded from local adult Ed schemes anyway.

Colleges in general are focusing more on commercial courses these days - there’s no money in BTEC.

Reactions: MrPaulus and Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
Colleges in general are focusing more on commercial courses these days - there’s no money in BTEC.
Yeah, ex IT lecturer here. It's amazing how quickly a course can disappear when funding disappears.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
Probably starts with explaining what kW, kWh and Amps mean.
That'll be far more complicated than a Level 1 College Certificate. ;)

Certificate in Electric/Hybrid Vehicle Awareness Level 1, Lincoln College

They also offer the far more sensible IMI qualification which sounds less but is more :unsure: :

Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicle Awareness Level 1, Lincoln College

the specification for which is

https://awarding.theimi.org.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=xyFEmydY-d8=&portalid=0

Reactions: cDy

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
Yeah, ex IT lecturer here. It's amazing how quickly a course can disappear when funding disappears.
I'd be glad if the funding disappears from courses that are no longer appropriate, but it all seems to be about whatever the latest fashion is within the DfE.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
... looks like an Ampera plugged into a Fast charger...
@HandyAndy did you ever drape the charging cable over your car like that? Looks like a sure way to scratch up any car.
No, why would you think I'd do that? I just scrape the rear end against low granite walls, does a far better job!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
I'd be glad if the funding disappears from courses that are no longer appropriate, but it all seems to be about whatever the latest fashion is within the DfE.
Oh yes,made a good living out of the grants back in the 80s and 90s. Can't say that I taught anything that wasn't relevant though. Kept a whole load of people of the age that I am now occupied. (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I met a chap with a brand new eCorsa at a rapid recently. He had no idea he could use CCS, only AC. Didn't realise the lower blanking plate on the CCS socket came off. So yeah, clearly there is some form of education missing for new owners.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suspect a lot of the takers will have remitted course fees so only a tenner or whatever it is. If it gives a few more pensioners the courage to go electric then it’s a good thing!
I think you will find a lot of us pensioners discovered EVs were perfect for us many years ago and are perfectly capable of managing the vagaries of the UK charging network. Essentially we have neither the need, desire or bladders to go 450 miles without a stop which my previous diesel could do in theory.

We also have time on our hands to properly research all aspects of our purchase before dipping into our hard earned savings. An hour on YouTube and no one should be in doubt as to how to charge their car. Of course finding one that works, isn't occupied or ICED, when away from home can be a bit more of a problem but somehow we manage without the old ticker giving out!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts