Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Had an e-mail yesterday from my Hyundai dealer about "During this period, our showrooms remain closed for face-to-face vehicle sales, however we are still able to transact via our industry leading Contactless Customer Journey."
So I can get a CCJ from my car dealer ... o_O
Their workshops have remained available throughout - they've got their act together.

Meanwhile the dealers for our Smart car (ie. Mercedes-Benz dealer) is just shut. No services at all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Had an e-mail yesterday from my Hyundai dealer about "During this period, our showrooms remain closed for face-to-face vehicle sales, however we are still able to transact via our industry leading Contactless Customer Journey."
So I can get a CCJ from my car dealer ... o_O
Their workshops have remained available throughout - they've got their act together.

Meanwhile the dealers for our Smart car (ie. Mercedes-Benz dealer) is just shut. No services at all.
So Mercedes are being socially responsible. Hyundai are thinking of their bottom line.

Wife’s new car is in transit somewhere. The longer it stays there, the longer we’re not paying for it to sit idle on our driveway at a time when anything other than essential travel is banned and irresponsible.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I would say Hyundai are making sure that key workers vehicles at the very least are being able to stay safely on the road. Mercedes just couldnt be bothered with the extra social distancing and cleaning down...

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
So Mercedes are being socially responsible. Hyundai are thinking of their bottom line.
"As the situation evolved we closed most of our facilities with just our Aftersales Departments remaining open in Portsmouth, Southampton and Fareham with a limited workforce to continue to serve key workers and carry out emergency repairs."
"I thought it would be helpful to make you aware of the next steps we are taking to continue to serve you. In accordance with the Governments guidelines our workshops can continue to operate and indeed, have been encouraged to do so. Having been monitoring demand closely from our customers and key workers alike since the “lockdown”, we have decided to reopen all our workshops, building capacity in line with demand as the situation improves. Of course, yours and our colleague’s safety and wellbeing is our highest priority and we will continue to comply with the current Lockdown and social distancing guidelines."

It's not like car techs need to work physically close to other people - it's usually one tech, one vehicle - so it's probably one of the easiest jobs to keep safe.
Crane operator is another that comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts

Wife’s new car is in transit somewhere. The longer it stays there, the longer we’re not paying for it to sit idle on our driveway at a time when anything other than essential travel is banned and irresponsible.
I’m in the same boat and not planning on chasing delivery dates...

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
So the answer depends on whether you need/want their services? :unsure:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Popular belief doesn't realise they are linked.
We can afford this principle at the moment.

Anyone still thinking we’re simply restarting from where we left off is fantasising. Any plans beyond March 16th are ancient history.
The threat is existential and partially, but not entirely solvable with money this time.

Better to prioritise keeping the vulnerable alive, the workforce healthy and demand for hospitals within coping levels whilst we learn how to deliver a return to work that can be consistently safe for us all long term. Rather than a few firms trying to make themselves a buck now and potentially making mistakes that could cost us all.

Thankfully this is something the government appears to recognise.

Opening a few branches of BnQ and some car dealerships seems more likely to set back public health than succeed in any helpful way to revitalising the economy.

Given the huge number of job losses in the past few weeks and the millions more to come, plus those on 80% of their normal earnings, any car dealers opening may be spending their time cancelling orders rather than taking them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts