Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I finally had a charger installed. I set it to charge between 0:00 and 8:00 AM since that's when the rates are cheapest here. I disabled cheduled charging in the car.

This morning I found the car hadn't charged. It started charging as soon as I connected through the app.

I had one occasion when I was still using the granny charger, that it hadn't started the charge when I had set a schedule in the car, and it also started charging as soon as I checked the status with the app.

Has anyone seen this behaviour on their car? Mine has the 11 kW OBC (3.-phase) but the charger is single-phase.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Spanish made: Orbis Viaris Uni. I am not sure it's the charger though. I noticed the car started charging directly after I'd opened the app to check the status.So it looks like the car just didn't accept the charger's handshake until it woke up.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Premium RWD [2021-]
75 Posts
I have a Spanish made: Orbis Viaris Uni. I am not sure it's the charger though. I noticed the car started charging directly after I'd opened the app to check the status.So it looks like the car just didn't accept the charger's handshake until it woke up.
I had issues with my dumb charger and using UVO scheduled charging when I first tried to do this.

Could not get it to work reliably at all. In the end I just gave up on UVO and used the charge schedule settings in the car itself and it has worked reliably ever since, though of course then you have the problem of rocking up to a public charge point and walking away forgetting to turn off the schedule, and car doesn't charge!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried again this night: all OK. I seem to have noticed something though: when I started the car after the failed charge, the widgets on the display took a long time to load. As if the unit had done a reset. These non-sistematic. not-reproducible errors p**s me off no end.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, this is my problem too. From time to time, the car simply ignores the set schedule and fails to charge. No failure reports. My current method is to occasionally switch off the schedule, then close the car down. Before a charge is needed, re-activate the schedule before closing the car down again and plugging in the charger.

I've no idea if this is a work-around. All I can say is that it seems to have worked so far. For all I know it may fail in the future.

Have a look on this thread also -
Off-peak charging schedules keep deleting themselves...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is different. As I stated in the 1st post, there was no active schedue on the car. I use the charger's scheduler instead. I believe the charger initiated the charge, but the car just did not accept the charge request.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My problem is different. As I stated in the 1st post, there was no active schedue on the car. I use the charger's scheduler instead. I believe the charger initiated the charge, but the car just did not accept the charge request.
Is the best way round this to use the car's scheduling rather than the charger's? If set in the car (and not relying on the app) I have not had a failure where the schedule has been set up properly. The car seems very good at controlling the charge.
The MG ZS EV has had problems with the car not waking up when the charger tries to start a charge. I think largely fixed with a software update. Perhaps the Niro has similar problems if it is asleep when the charger tries to start a charge.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the best way round this to use the car's scheduling rather than the charger's? If set in the car (and not relying on the app) I have not had a failure where the schedule has been set up properly. The car seems very good at controlling the charge.
Thing is, I have had it happen once that the car would not start a charge using the on-board scheduler. Same thing happened: I check the following morning with UVO and it started charging there and then. I think whay I'll do is keep tabs on it and if it happens once again then I will take it to the dealership. With a very probable outcome of 'we can't find anything wrong with it'.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And it happened again two nights ago. Car not charged, open UVO to check status and bingo, it starts charging right away.

I have a theory that maybe someone could check if it happens to them. The times the car didn't charge, I think I had plugged it in, then after a couple of hours unlocked the car, opened the doors to pu tin luggage, or clean the windows or whatever. I also closed the doors without locking maybe so I got a notification from UVO. I then lock the car again. The car indicates though it is plugged in (waiting for the charge) with the red cable and plug light, and the charger also acknowledges it is connected. However, some hours later, charge is not initiated at the set time (remember: I use the charger's scheduler, not the car's).

Now I don't know if this is the real cause. I will do some testing but if someone has the time and inclination to test the above scenario, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
The car has to initiate the charge.

My 7kw charger shows 'waiting car signal' when it is plugged in and the car's timer is set. Similarly, when charging has completed, when I activate the HVAC remotely the car reactivates the charger.

i suggest setting the car timer for the start of charging so the charger wakes up and then if its easier, let the charger end the charge.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, ir may be so but it has happened to me once that the car's timer didn't start the charging when I was still using the granny charger. So I suspect something is amiss in the car's OBC

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,968 Posts
Does it make any difference which sequence you use?
Open car's charge port door, turn charger on (with timer set), connect cable, lock car.
or connect cable, lock car, chrger not turned on, even if timer i set?

I'm speculating that the car needs to know that it is connected to the charger before it powers down completely (by locking the door) so it will wakeup.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the car is aware.. When I lock the doors the indicator on the dash lights up to indicate it is plugged in. Just seems like it goes to sleep and ignores the connection when the charger is ready to charge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts