Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Recently, my Ampera doesn't lock/unlock when using a button on the door on driver's side, both front and rear. It does still work on passenger's side. Using remote, works fine.
Any ideas?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,321 Posts
Mine has all four working, but that is because three were replaced due to failure under warranty and the fourth because the dealership replaced the wrong one when it was in for the third failure. I do have a kit by @HandyAndy sitting in the wings in preparedness.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
mine had the driver one replaced by VX at 3years old. All 4 work but I rarely ever use them maybe just a couple of times a year. I use the Key Fob to preserve them ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
All four of mine still work but I usually use the fob and if I do use the buttons, I am gentle with them.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Have you had it since new?
Being gentle with them won't help, sadly. It's an over-centre springy-plate job, and the instant it goes over centre, the plate with a dimple in the middle bashes down onto a bit of plain old pcb! Nothing you can do to reduce the hammering effect. All you can try is pressing ever harder once it's started to fail, but that's not going to work for very long...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,321 Posts
I tend to think that they have been modified or a different supplier at some point in time. The driver's door on mine failed pretty early in the car's life and I was in the car myself for the vast majority of the time. It was followed by the front passenger (me picking up my backpack from the passenger seat), then the driver's rear when it was used a lot because the driver's had failed and me getting the charging cable out of the rear footwell (for this one the garage replaced the nearside in error which was still working fine). Since then I have had no issues, but I do have the repair kit just in case.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go on, life's too short! Use them & enjoy them!! And if they break, you can get a repair kit from me !!! Which will make me happy as well !!!! :D
Hi Andy,

Where are you located? Would you help installing the new kit that I would buy from you? I don't feel confident enough doing it myself. Of course, I'd pay you for your help ;-)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go on, life's too short! Use them & enjoy them!! And if they break, you can get a repair kit from me !!! Which will make me happy as well !!!! :D
Hi Andy,

Where are you located? Would you help installing the new kit that I would buy from you? I don't feel confident enough doing it myself. Of course, I'd pay you for your help ;-)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Hi Andy,

In Winchester UK. Any use? While we're locked down, I don't think it can be justified as a "necessary" trip. Unless you're in NHS, and knocking off a few seconds getting into your car might save a life!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,223 Posts
Can anyone beat Marek’s record of 2 out of 4 still working? Do I hear a 3 from anyone?
I nursed mine without failure, not sure if my gentle treatment meant @Garry TheBiz a button-failure-free time with it?

·
Registered
611 Posts
All 4 button still work @donald and I'm sure it's down to you never using them at all. At first I tried not to use them, because I didn't want to 'wear them out' either. But now I use them regularly, although I try to not overuse one button more than the others, so if I approach from the rear, I'll press the rear button as I pass it so as to even out the usage between all 4. Everything else on the car is working perfectly, I use it daily and it's got 132,000 miles on it so far.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,223 Posts
That's great, sounds like the car has already paid for itself!

There was a good argument to keep, and a good one to sell, glad to hear you're getting good miles from her. Obviously, you got the best treated Ampera you could have done (! ;) ), and I trust you have aimed to continue its comfortable and cossetted existence!

(The older boy still tell me off occasionally for selling....)

Yes, I did also alternate using the door buttons. It wasn't that I never used them, just didn't use them as a matter of routine. Why press the door button when you can press the fob buttons? I still do the same with the Soul even though there is no known weakness in those buttons and I am not keeping it anyway.

The issue with Ampera (in particular) is that there is a slight delay between pressing the button and getting the confirmatory 'clock' as the locks open on the car. Humans seem to be pre-programmed to require an instant response from buttons, and if the response isn't instant then they press harder until they get the response.

With the Ampera, one has to consciously press the button lightly, then wait. It is only a weak flexi-metal contact thing and will happily give up if you are overenthusiastic with your button pressure.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Interestingly, last financial year I sold 102 replacement switches in UK. Amazingly, this was not my largest market - Finland bought 109!!! I gather they've imported a lot of ex-Netherlands Amperas, but doesn't quite explain why so many replacements needed. Lots went to them in September/October; all I can think is it's so d*mn cold that they're all wearing ski mitts, and don't want to fish the fob out of their pockets, so always use the door button and so knacker it in short order!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts