Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a day that has been !.
This morning I dropped off our ZS EV at the local dealership for the following work to be carried out.
It's very first service, the MG wiring loom recall to replace the harness in the drivers door and the "HV fuse software update" ( SO17 ).
All pretty straight forward, you would think - right ?.
Here is the back story, I tried to book the the car in for the service etc about two weeks before Christmas.
I was told they had no more appointments until the new year.
The car was then booked in for the 6th of Jan 21.
The very same date as we collected it back in Jan 2020.
I asked if the harness to be ordered, so it would be available to install on the same appointment - Yes I was told.
So, about 3 days before the appointment I rang to see if the harness had arrived.
Put on hold ( I hate that ) for ages and was then told it had not arrived and they had no idea why ?. What the hell is that all about ?.
My thoughts where at that point, that it had never been ordered in the first place.
I then moved the appointment date out to the 15th Jan 21 ( Today ).
Called them three days ago to confirm the harness had arrived the second time - Yes, result.
The car was dropped off at 9.00am this morning and I was told it would not be ready until around 4.00pm - Okay.
No word from the garage all day, I rang at 4.00pm and was told:- "Just come and collect the car at 5.00pm".
We set off for the dealer and about 2 miles away, I receive a phone call to say that the car was NOT ready for collection now, because ( these are the lady service advisors words ).
"We can't your get your car to start, it is completely dead - don't bother coming".
"Sorry - But we have changed the harness and now the car will not start and we have no idea why".
"We are going to refit the old harness back into the car on Monday, to see if that helps".
I explained that we where only about 2 miles away at this point and she said :-
"Turn around, we are about to close for the day".
I asked her to expand on her statement of "Dead" - But she could not !.
So, I requested a call directly from the service manager on Monday morning, giving a full explanation and break down of events that has caused my car to enter the garage, for what is a basic service and now completely immobilised.
Okay folks - what are your views on this little catastrophe !.

Here is some of my own opinions on this situation first.

1. The car has been left powered up for too long and it has now dropped the 12 Volt battery so low, it is now unable to boot up the car, they discover it far to late in the day to successfully get enough charge back into the 12 volt battery and then hand me back the keys in the knowledge that if I power the car down on the way home, I could be stuck at the side of the road. So, they need time to recharge the 12 volt battery ( which they do not have time on the day ) and hopefully all is well on Monday.
2. They have ordered the incorrect harness and it is in some way upset the car.
I somehow doubt this theory, unless it has caused a short and has blown a fuse some where in the car, preventing it from booting up of course that is.
Either way, you would not remove the new loom first, surely you would just disconnect it and then proceed forward from that point there, is that not the logical path to take here ?.
3. There has been a problem applying the HV battery fuse software update, but I am not sure if they even got this far today to be honest !.
I will be asking them for the part number of the wiring loom used in my car today, because I have been kindly given the correct part number by contact at MG who has used the details from my car to get the correct match.
Apparently, there is a lot of different looms that suit different models in the ZS range.
This really is NOT a great start with the service department at my local dealers.
I wanted to take my car over to the lads at the Chorley Group, but of course this is totally impossible under the lockdown procedure right now.
If my car IS sorted quickly on Monday, I will be asking them to reconsider what do they intended to charge me for there so called services !.
My wife's car is booked in for it's MOT on Monday morning, the MOT station is about 3 miles away from where my car is currently stranded.
If her cars fails ( for what ever reason ) we have gone from two cars down to zero cars on the same day !.

Premium Member
2014 Model S
I would be insisting on a loan car being dropped off to your house before Monday.

If you bought from Chorley then I'd think taking the car back there isn't totally unreasonable. How far are they away?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fingers crossed for Monday. Keep us informed. Mine is due its first service next month. 馃
Will do - no problem !.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, just having the first service done.
They don't do much that they can bugger up to be fair !.
Unless they over fill the washer bottle of course.
Why do we bother comes directly to mind.
We have to have it serviced ( and pay of course ) to comply with the T&C's of the warranty agreement.
We have to comply with the recalls done when advised by the manufacture.
We have to get the software updates installed under the manufactures instructions.
Look where complying has left me, walking - thats what !.

Journeyman Human
I sympathise with you entirely, I'd be livid. The sooner more companies do over the air updates and proper warranties that don't rely on annual servicing that is almost nothing on an EV, (like Tesla!) the better.

I hope you get it sorted soon, I've got to book mine in on Monday. I'm dreading it, I hate interaction with motor trade service departments.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sympathise with you entirely, I'd be livid. The sooner more companies do over the air updates and proper warranties that don't rely on annual servicing that is almost nothing on an EV, (like Tesla!) the better.

I hope you get it sorted soon, I've got to book mine in on Monday.
Thanks - Are you have the harness replaced under the recall ?.

Journeyman Human
Thanks - Are you have the harness replaced under the recall ?.
My harness was done before I picked up the car by the supplying dealer.

I just need the fuse protection update and inspection "service". I'm hoping I can wait, wasn't expecting it to be more than an hour and the dealer has a covid safe waiting room.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My harness was done before I picked up the car by the supplying dealer.

I just need the fuse protection update and inspection "service". I'm hoping I can wait, wasn't expecting it to be more than an hour and the dealer has a covid safe waiting room.
Brilliant !.
Not sure you will get it back that quickly though - I would just check first.
They are controlled a little by the speed of the time it takes to apply the update.
Also, their C19 protocol may really slow down the whole process down.
They will need to sanitise your car first before commencing work, then re-sanitise it again after they have finished, before handing it back to you.
I will be really surprised if you get it back in a few hours.
Sounds more like half a day to me.

Journeyman Human
I suspect you're right, and that will annoy me immensely! I'll find out on Monday. They did let me wait for the comfort2 though earlier in the year and had it done within 2 hours. I can't see the fuse update being anything like as involved as comfort2 and the service shouldn't exceed 30 minutes, its visual inspection and a diagnostic read only after all...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suspect you're right, and that will annoy me immensely! I'll find out on Monday. They did let me wait for the comfort2 though earlier in the year and had it done within 2 hours. I can't see the fuse update being anything like as involved as comfort2 and the service shouldn't exceed 30 minutes, its visual inspection and a diagnostic read only after all...
Please let us know how it all goes on Monday !.

Journeyman Human
Please let us know how it all goes on Monday !.
You misunderstand, I'm just calling them on Monday to book it in! I'll be requesting that its done whilst I wait, and I'm hoping they agree as they did for comfort 2. :)

Registered
MG ZS EV
From what I understand the software updates mostly come from servers in China. The speed at which they are applied is dependent on the internet link at the time. It is possible that data packets go wrong in transmission, I have children in Canada and New Zealand and contact over the internet has been unreliable recently, particularly with Canada. Consequently it is possible that a data link has suffered part way through the updates and the thing needs to go through the updates again?
Not a good system, if and when MG sells a hundred thousand cars they might consider a local server.
Given that these software updates are known to be slightly unreliable you鈥檇 think they would plug them in at the start of the day and keep an eye on progress in order not to run out of time. Having said all that mine has been in 4 times to get all the updates and recalls one b one and taken 3 and a half days!

just had another thought.... I鈥檓 sure I was told that at each service the battery has to be fully charged, balanced and then the cells checked. Wouldn鈥檛 the 12v battery be replenished if that was the case?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just had another thought.... I鈥檓 sure I was told that at each service the battery has to be fully charged, balanced and then the cells checked. Wouldn鈥檛 the 12v battery be replenished if that was the case?
I was not aware of this, thanks.
The 12 volt battery only receives a charge from the HV pack when the car is fully booted into the 鈥淩eady鈥 state, regardless if the HV pack is completely full.
If the car has been left in the 鈥淪tandby鈥 mode, then any power being supplied to the car is coming straight from the 12 volt battery and not being replenished.
So, if the DRL鈥檚 are on and anything else like the radio, it is not going to take long before the battery drops below 12 volts SOC.
At this point, it does not have enough power to initiate the 鈥淏oot Up鈥 process of the car.
Strange to think you have all that juice sitting under the floor of the car and the entire car is dead due to a lack of power in a small wet cell battery under the bonnet.
The condition / status plays a more important part in an EV than it does in a normal ICE car.
You can鈥檛 鈥淏ump Start鈥 an EV with a push !.

Registered
As I bought my ZS EV at the end of November 2019, the wiring harness was replaced early 2020. The dealer did tell me that there were a few part numbers and they checked and double checked before ordering the replacement. When it arrived, they again checked the part number and then called me to have it fitted. It was apparently a simple process of disconnecting the battery, removing the driver's door panel and disconnecting the old harness. Plug in the new harness with the correct routing in the door, replace door panel, and reconnect the battery. I would say the harness replacement would not affect the operation of the vehicle. Maybe they ordered the wrong part again?

During all software updates I understand that the 12V battery is connected to a battery booster and the car run with the HV battery disconnected. Perhaps they tried the updates without external 12V support and the battery died during one of the software updates?

My MG dealer seems to know their stuff with the mechanic now very confident in performing all updates. They always do software updates first thing in the morning as the internet connection to China at that time is stable and reliable.

It was all a steep learning curve for the dealer and myself in the beginning!

Reactions: Carty

Journeyman Human
From what I understand the software updates mostly come from servers in China. The speed at which they are applied is dependent on the internet link at the time. It is possible that data packets go wrong in transmission, I have children in Canada and New Zealand and contact over the internet has been unreliable recently, particularly with Canada. Consequently it is possible that a data link has suffered part way through the updates and the thing needs to go through the updates again?
Not a good system, if and when MG sells a hundred thousand cars they might consider a local server.
Given that these software updates are known to be slightly unreliable you鈥檇 think they would plug them in at the start of the day and keep an eye on progress in order not to run out of time. Having said all that mine has been in 4 times to get all the updates and recalls one b one and taken 3 and a half days!

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I don't believe what you've been told about the battery being fully charged and checked, especially at an inspection service. That does sound very much like sales BS. Who was it told you this?

Journeyman Human
It's rarely simple removing and refitting door panels, they tend to be amongst the most evil tricky parts to work on...
Actually, if you know the fixing methods and location of screws and clips, which the dealer will, door panel removal and refitting is usually very straightforward.

Registered
Unrelated to EVs but relevant nonetheless, if you can, absolutely never book a car in for a Friday. I had a vauxhall a while back on a Friday going in just for a recall job, took it in for 8:30 like they asked, they didn't start work on it until 15:30 and rang me at 16:30 to tell me they'd snapped a screw or bolt and couldn't get one until the following Monday and left me without a car the entire weekend. I had no choice but to scrap all my plans apart from getting the bus to work. Garages literally don't care how it affects a customer and will do little to accommodate you with loaner cars if they can avoid it

Registered
I don't believe what you've been told about the battery being fully charged and checked
Had my first service yesterday too. Traction battery appeared to be at the same level when I collected so don't believe much if any charging had taken place. They did report on SoH and ticked a box to indicate OBC was operational so may have connected to a charger for a minute.

I'd already had Comfort 2, HV fuse and door loom so these weren't required. I did ask if they could check if latest BMS update was available and they said it wasn't so I just had the service and door handles lubricated.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.