Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Same email... but after watching the "Battery Life" drive review earlier, I have moved firmly onto the fence about this car. If I slam the go pedal down in Sport Mode, I want the car to launch off like a scalded cat... not sit around for a bit until it feels like doing something. This, plus a few other things he picked up on, like the ride quality being a bit too soft and needing both hands on the wheel at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember the Kona manual saying that the lane assistance didn't work over like 80mph so high speed in the rain like that I feel can be forgiven (imo of course).
I'm more put off by the range, rear visibility and, bait-and-switch with the battery size

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I think it was more a confidence thing - the car was a bit floaty at speed, making him feel that it needed both hands. This was after the rain, on a drier section of road.

And yes, the car really misses the extra 5kWh that the US market is getting.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Got the Same email as well.........

Dear Philip

We are delighted to inform you that your IONIQ 5 has entered the production process and is currently being built at our Ulsan plant in South Korea.

Our Ulsan plant is the world’s single largest automobile plant incorporating five independent manufacturing plants and employing over 34,000 people. The whole site spans 15 million square metres – the equivalent of 700 football pitches – and is able to produce one vehicle every 10 seconds. It’s not just IONIQ 5 that comes from Ulsan, the Santa Fe is also produced here alongside a number of other Hyundai models.

Once your IONIQ 5 has completed the production process it will be assigned to a ship for transportation to the UK. As soon as your car is at sea, we will update you again.

If you have any questions at all regarding the production or delivery of your car then you can contact us here at the VIP Concierge team. For any other query, such as payment, finance or adding accessories to your IONIQ 5, then your Hyundai dealer will be able to advise you.

Kind regards

IONIQ 5 VIP team

·
Registered
615 Posts
Same here. I am hoping that a few weeks into (potential) ownership Hyundai will announce a software update which releases a few more kWh's from the battery and thus increase range..
Seems odd that Kia or the US market gets more use (in terms of kWh) out of the same battery.
Volvo have done something similar with the Polestar 2 recently. They probably just lessened the bottom end buffer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that's is wishful thinking. Given the EPA having a tougher test the 77kWh hour (80 something total?) battery is needed to be competitive. Or they have 77 gross / 72 net
We get stiffed with "72" and 68 useable.

They've been consistent in their stance that they only give gross numbers, which certainly isn't true historically

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
If you have access to the Hyundai VIP team, could you perhaps ask them to do a favour for those of us languishing in Ioniq 38s and Konas of similar vintage? It would be absolutely magic if they could knock up a very simple website for us, so we can put our VIN in and see a definite yes/no for whether the battery is affected by the recall program. H have been really unsupportive of their existing customers, and many of us are still in the dark as to whether our cars are affected. Please tell them that I will under no circumstances consider upgrading to an Ioniq 5 if this is typical of how they look after their customers, as their reputation for support is going downhill.

Here's the problem. H have sent out letters to many in UK saying their car is affected, and is subject to the recall program, and here's a link to register for that. Fine so far.

What they have not done is write to those of us that are unaffected by the recall to say we're fine as is.

H have not released a list of the affected VINs, but a couple of lists have appeared somehow, covering Konas & Ioniqs.
It is believed that the HV batteries may have been sourced from 2 or maybe more locations, and that only one location supplied the affected ones. So we're expecting some of these cars to be fine as-is, but no-one can be sure which ones they are. We have seen cases where affected cars have slipped through H's net, maybe a typo in the vehicle reg, or the car's actually registered to someone else & there's no sign of action from the registered owner, etc. It's all too hit & miss tbh.

Providing a simple website to check what factory was used to source the battery for what VIN is surely not beyond their competence, and could become a useful way for future owners to check on recalls/updates etc.

Hyundai UK have been virtually unresponsive in this matter. The best that some here have had is a reply to their telephone call saying "your car's unaffected". This simply doesn't cut it, we need concrete proof of safety or otherwise. And we need to be able to spot cars that are falling through the net.

If you could somehow get this message through to them, in a part of H's organisation where there seems to be signs of life, just maybe they might be able to stir the necessary people into life?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Same here. They have Still not replied about my questions about the coolant leaks affecting early owners cars. The whole “vip” thing is starting to grate.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Same here. They have Still not replied about my questions about the coolant leaks affecting early owners cars. The whole “vip” thing is starting to grate.
I sent the VIP team an Email on the 20th about the coolant leaks and have heard nothing back - I am going to ask them on Sunday if I don't hear anything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts