Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really not sure whether I have a fault with my car (VW e-Up!) or my charger (Rolec Wallpod).

I've had the car since Oct 1st and the wall charger was fitted a couple of weeks later. Car always charges OK when connected to wallpod without setting any delay and usually OK when I use the 'Maps & More' device to request that charging is delayed until after 1am (my E7 supply changeover time). However on a number of occasions over the past couple of weeks I've set up the delay timer exactly as usual and plugged car in only to find that charging started immediately.

Unplugging it, resetting the M&M interface and trying again did work on one occasion but failed to make any difference on others. Similarly, switching Wallpod's RCD off, waiting an hour then switching it back on did work on one occasion but spectacularly failed (twice in a row) last night. 'Workaround' is to wait until 1am then plug it in but I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting up till that time ! Plan B would be to get up at 4am and plug it in then - but I'm even less keen on that idea.

In the past (but not over last couple of weeks) charging has failed a few times when RCD tripped out some time after plugging in but before charging started. On those occasions, resetting RCD set it going OK - suggesting that there wasn't a 'real' earth fault.

I thought it more likely that fault lay with car but after spending a day at VW dealer it was declared to be working perfectly.

I'd like to be able to test the wallport in some way but I've no idea what to test. I know there are some anomalies between the way VW handle Mennekes signalling and how some other parties do but since my wall charger talks to car OK most of the time that really shouldn’t be an issue. I'm not even sure what sort of signal is required or which pins on the Mennekes plug are involved : I'd expect it to be a signal from car to wallport and probably a low voltage one but is it a signal to say "please charge now" that's live when it shouldn't be or one to say "postpone charging if you seen this signal" that is being ignored ? But Googling around the problem just adds additional complications by suggesting there's a more complex arrangement.

I'd appreciate any advice - ideally from someone who has had a similar problem and managed to cure it.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Don't know about the e-Up but the e-Golf has a "minimum charge" setting that allows you to set it so that it will charge to that level as soon as you plug in, then stop, then charge it to the maximum in time for your departure. Might you also have this function and have it set to the max level?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't know about the e-Up but the e-Golf has a "minimum charge" setting that allows you to set it so that it will charge to that level as soon as you plug in, then stop, then charge it to the maximum in time for your departure. Might you also have this function and have it set to the max level?
I originally said "The e-Up! does have this function but I've never used it. It's always set to a minimum of zero." but have just been to look and it seems I dreamt that. There is no such facility so it definitely can't be causing my problem.

The only adjustments I ever make to my regular programme is sometimes to move it away from 10A (down to 5 if little charge required or up to 16 if I've nearly exhausted battery) but even that is quite rare and gets restored next day.

The most annoying thing is that I'm really not sure whether fault is with car or charger. Both are under warranty but how do I decide which warrantor needs to get involved !

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Wow, that minimum charge function sounds brilliant! I've pulled in at a damagingly low charge many times and had to override my timer, then remember to go back and stop the charge too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After weeks of puzzling results, it appears that the e-Up! does indeed have a minimum charge function and I'm pretty sure that was what was causing my problem. But the Maps&More setting for that function is really obscure - I had to print out a couple of pages of the manual and hold them in my hand whilst trying to set it up !

I was coming round to blaming the wallpod as I was getting some evidence that seemed to suggest that switching it off with the RCD & leaving it off all day usually resulted in the delay function working but a couple of exceptions to that rule set me off thinking. Eventually I set up a spreadsheet showing %battery at end of day and whether or not delay had worked then re-ordered it by %Batt. Only then did it become obvious that if %Batt was greater than 60% the delay function worked but below 60% it didn't. I still didn't believe the e-Up! had that MCL function but sat down and really studied the M&M manual. The MCL setting turned out not to be part of the 'next departure time' programme nor indeed was it anything to do with setting up a 'charge station'. Instead it's set by some general settings script.

Having found the setting, it really was set to 60% so I've reset it to 10%. I've only done that tonight (and battery was over 60% anyway when I plugged it in so delay was observed anyway. The real test will come tomorrow when I'm expecting to do a few more miles and should get %Batt down to around 40%

But I'm still left with a mystery. Charging delays worked perfectly from mid Oct till Xmas and only started going wrong this year. And not even knowing that there was a MCL setting makes it very unlikely that I ever increased it to 60%. I have to assume that somehow or another the M&M changed the MCL setting on its own !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts