Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Car is incorrectly reporting low battery for key fob

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  technoev 
#1 ·
Recently the car has been giving a low battery alert for the key fob. It's been a while since it's changed so didn't think much of it. When I opened up the key fob to change the battery, I did a quick test with my battery tester and it shows it at extremely good charge level. I know the battery tester is good as I've used it with all kinds of batteries over the years (including coin batteries) and it's been very accurate.

Anyone else had the car mis-reporting the fob battery strength despite the battery being good?

#3 ·
No, I tried the spare key and the battery was completely dead in that (didn't work with the car and the battery tester reported the battery dead). I put a new battery in the spare fob (which was the last spare battery I had). So I'm currently using the spare fob and the normal fob still has the same battery in it. I've ordered a pack of new coin batteries but I thought I'd post in the mean time.

#4 ·
If there is a fault it sounds like it is in the combination of the first key and its battery. My money is on the battery.

Reactions: technoev
#8 ·
All sorted now. I can only assume that the threshold low battery warning for the key fob is pretty high. The used battery would probably be adequate for some other low powered device such as a watch, kitchen weighing scales etc but I have nothing else that takes the CR 2025 battery so a little bit of a shame. Both key fobs have a new battery in them and the low battery warning is gone. Thanks for the replies :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.