Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car failed to charge on its normal 3pin overnight and didn't defrost this morning despite the presets all being on, plugged in and green light on.

Today I've gone to a fast charger (22kw) and the car is saying 3.5hrs to charge - on 35miles, sounds about right. However - been sat here for half an hour and the miles have gone up by 10...

Also noticed on the drive here that the full regen isn't working - can you spot the problem in the picture?

Is this a cold weather issue? Been driving in minus temperatures the last few days.

Might need to ring VW...?

Any thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
443 Posts
Are you sitting with the heater on? You can only charge at 7kw on a 22kw charger, using the heat in the current weather could use a huge portion of that.
I’d try and find a 50kw CCS.

edit - the lack of regen will undoubtedly be temperature. Charging on a rapid charger should warm the battery and fix that. If a rapid charge doesn’t help things, dealer time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sitting with the heater on? You can only charge at 7kw on a 22kw charger, using the heat in the current weather could use a huge portion of that.
I’d try and find a 50kw CCS.

edit - the lack of regen will undoubtedly be temperature. Charging on a rapid charger should warm the battery and fix that. If a rapid charge doesn’t help things, dealer time.
Thanks for the reply - all air/heat is off, just taking ages! I used a 50kw yesterday and it seemed to be much slower than normal - giving about 20 miles in 20 mins - again no heat on.

Still sitting here on the 22kw - now up to 89 miles - saying 1hr 35mins left. Preheat was meant to kick in at 3pm, seemed to try and then switched off (unless it doesn't come on if unlocked, key in ignition...?) Tried leaving heat on for 10mins - air is freezing, not a touch of any warmth.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There’s no benefit from a 22kw from a 7kw, you’re better off finding a 50kw if you’ve gone out your way.

The Golf can’t heat the battery, so you’ll get better speeds if you drive for a while (45mins+) before charging.

the heater sounds odd though, that should work.There was a bad batch last year, mine was off the road for a couple of months whilst they sourced parts...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
Thanks for the reply - all air/heat is off, just taking ages! I used a 50kw yesterday and it seemed to be much slower than normal - giving about 20 miles in 20 mins - again no heat on.

Still sitting here on the 22kw - now up to 89 miles - saying 1hr 35mins left. Preheat was meant to kick in at 3pm, seemed to try and then switched off (unless it doesn't come on if unlocked, key in ignition...?) Tried leaving heat on for 10mins - air is freezing, not a touch of any warmth.
It should heat whilst charging, but you need the car ‘live’ so pressing the start button with your foot on the brake?

Obviously it won’t go to full drive mode, as you’re connected to a cable, but it should start blowing warm air.

I’d have driven the car to a rapid once you’d got enough from the 22kW (7kW on the e-Golf of course) to make the move though.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
I have seen a 22KW DC charger at a VW dealer, with a CCS plug so obviously that can supply 22KW but if it's an AC type 2 then obviously 7KW max is correct.
Yes, I’ve seen those as well, but I assumed from the 3.5 hrs estimated time to fully charged it was a 22kW AC, charging at the e-Golfs max 7kW AC.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Cold battery on (effectively) a 7kw charger, sound correct. The Golf can’t charge at 22kw on AC.

Reactions: MrPaulus and Mermoo

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone - I was not aware that the 22kw doesn't work as such on the e-Golf! I guess the attached picture shows it working at 7kw speeds. I will try the preheat again for the morning. This cold weather and wind is really killing the range! Still no idea why the charge failed last night.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Not your fault - dealers really need to educate customers better so you know what you're buying.

Reactions: Mermoo

·
Registered
900 Posts
Cold is the answer for most of your questions!

When I left for work this morning the car said it was -1.5 degrees. So much for a frost free garage, admittedly it was -8 outside. I had about 30% regen available (your photo shows just under 80% available) after charging to 90% when normally in winter I have about half and summer about 70% available. Even when battery is half empty I've not had full regen available for about the last two months with the colder weather.

Preheating the car from a 7kW chargepoint can use a good chunk of power. Mine starts at about 6kW for a couple of minutes, then settles down to about 1.4kW by about 5 min. I have a heat pump so non heat pump versions may be different. On the screenshot below the blue spike is the car preheating. I'm finding a 15 min preheat while plugged in uses about 1 kWh just now.

Rapid charging is a lot less rapid in frosty weather. Don't have the data to hand to double check, but I have in my head that on long trips in frosty weather (-3 to -6 type temps) I often didn't get much more than 30kW despite the fact the battery should have warmed up with the driving.

I use the app to switch on the heating while I'm sitting on a rapid charger. Have to restart it every 15 min though, which is a bit of a pain.

And as everyone else has said the golf can only get 7kW on a type 2 AC post, even if the post is capable of supplying 22kW (or 43kW). Rapid charging on CCS is max about 40kW.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have seen a 22KW DC charger at a VW dealer, with a CCS plug so obviously that can supply 22KW but if it's an AC type 2 then obviously 7KW max is correct.
I've seen them called baby rapids. I've used CCS on the one at the Falls of Shin where the power supply couldn't cope with 50kW so they installed 22kW instead.

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
58 Posts
Cold is the answer for most of your questions!
Yes to that.
What is a surprise, though, is that the car's display seems to be quoting a consumption rate of 4.3 mi/kWh - that's really good whenever and startling for winter, I'd say. Based on that figure, I'd expect 7kW to give you around 30mph. But, to be honest, I can't see it being real.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Try a different 3 pin plug circuit, if possible, if you got no charging at all from the circuit. I'm guessing you can pull 2.3 kW (10 amps @ 230 V) on your three pin plug?

I live in a mild climate, but even so I found that on a granny lead (120V, 10 amps in USA), the car will not preheat and be fully charged at the preset time because there is some bug in the software that "forgets" there isn't enough power being supplied to the car to support both heating and charging and be able to meet the preset charge time. Even cars with a heat pump have the 6 kW PTC heater to provide heat if ambient temps are outside of the heat pump's operating window. If it is cold enough, the PTC will come on, sucking away all of the power needed for charging.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
659 Posts
Fixed that for you ;)
Though I agree with you too .. I think that a dealer who is even vaguely interested in what they're selling should be able to learn at least as much as a random passing stranger on a forum in order to properly educate their buyers.

Sorry, I slipped into blind optimism mode there. Having been told by a BMW salesman at the Fully Charged show that the top speed on the i3S was "at least 135mph" I have no surprises left... If they couldn't even supply a salesman who knew EVs to the Fully Charged show, it's pretty much endgame.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Though I agree with you too .. I think that a dealer who is even vaguely interested in what they're selling should be able to learn at least as much as a random passing stranger on a forum in order to properly educate their buyers.
To give credit where its due, the dealers I've spoken with have nearly all been keen to learn.

When I ordered my golf in Sep 17 the first salesman I had dealings with was clueless and didn't seem terribly interested. Although that may have been his general attitude, because two months later he didn't work there anymore. The guy who took over my case was really curious to learn about EVs.

First service was at about 18 months old. Different dealers. Very interested in the car. Ended up speaking ages with one of the salesmen who wanted to know all about life with an EV.

I'm now on dealer number three. Going in for a service it was just a normal car, no big deal. But when I stopped for a brief look at an ID3, just out of curiosity and no plans to buy it, I ended up having multiple long chats with 2 or 3 salespeople at a time who wanted to know all about EVs. They were really, really keen. They'd all been taking the demonstrator out for short and long runs in different weather to see what range was like. Learning about AC vs DC and how long charging takes. The fact that there are different electricity tariffs that are more suitable for charging at home. Etc, etc. They told me a bit about some of the training material they got from VW. They even begged me to take the ID3 out for as long a test drive as I wanted because they were really curious how it compared to the eGolf.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've found nearly everyone at three separate VW dealers (all different franchises) to be interested and keen to learn.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
659 Posts
I suppose my question back should be this: why are they still "keen to learn" after VW have been selling EV models for seven years? The patter should be pretty well sorted by now, particularly given that it is so different, a bit more effort would have been in order, no?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts