Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a recurring fault on my volt. The car charges and then I get an error on the dash saying Service high voltage charging system. I have spoken to my local volt dealership (200 miles away) and they said it could be the battery coolant level. I have checked this and it's where it should be. They also said it could be related to the charge port door but I don't see how it could be. They have had the car a few times before and each time just reset it and gave me it back but it keeps happening. I am able to clear the code myself and charge it but it's started happening daily so I know something is more serious now. Any ideas? I was thinking it could be the sensor for the coolant level but that's just a guess. I'm wary that the dealer will just reset it again and do nothing.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,090 Posts
Could you take a photo of the battery and inverter coolant tanks, just to see what level they are at?

There was an 'initial' level set which was then changed in later issues of the workshop manual. Mine's at the 'old' (low) level. I'm interested to see what yours is at.

There was an instance of a defective level indicator reported on gm-volt recently, so it looks like it could happen.

You might also want to consider the EV owner's first fall-back position; disconnect and re-connect the 12V battery.

·
23,090 Posts
Blimey! That's pretty grubby under there! Mine wasn't particularly clean when I got it at 62k miles, but it was a lot better than that! (Has it been near any floods?! :confused:)

The level is OK but just an observation there seems to be white residue below the tank at the sensor location. Colours in photos can be very deceptive but the colouration of that coolant looks more 'purpley' than I'd expect. Is that photo accurate on the coolant colour?

P1E00 is the request to illuminate the dash light
P0CD2 is "Charge Port Door Unlock Control Performance"

Looking at gm-volt the other two codes are typical codes that trip up when the coolant level is low.

hmmm...

....I'd be checking my 12V battery voltage at this point.... :)

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup it's grubby, the gf does 30k per year in it and I refuse to spray a hose under there. Going to book it into the dealer and see what happens

·
23,090 Posts
There's an Ampera dealer in Manchester. Would they look after it for you?

·
23,090 Posts
If I were you, I think I would hassle them a fair bit to get them to agree. Then escalate to GM themselves.

Does this border on a 'block exemption' issue? It's not stupid, it is insane!

I do hate British attitudes like this. 'Hey, someone's asking us to work for them. All they are offering in return is money! I don't like the idea of work, so let's be all bitchy towards them and if that doesn't work we'll just refuse to do it!!'

I struggle to understand how this business ethic, which is rampant here, allows companies to stay in business.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I were you, I think I would hassle them a fair bit to get them to agree. Then escalate to GM themselves.

Does this border on a 'block exemption' issue? It's not stupid, it is insane!

I do hate British attitudes like this. 'Hey, someone's asking us to work for them. All they are offering in return is money! I don't like the idea of work, so let's be all bitchy towards them and if that doesn't work we'll just refuse to do it!!'

I struggle to understand how this business ethic, which is rampant here, allows companies to stay in business.
It's a warranty issue, Vauxhall can't claim on a Cheverolet warranty

·
23,090 Posts
Ah! Of course. So they aren't refusing the work, just to manage the warranty? If that's the case, maybe just ask if Chevrolet will refund the Vauxhall dealer. This is no different to any other dealer, they have to send an invoice for the work, and get refunded by the concessionaire. I can't see what difference it'd make who the money is sent to if there is no longer a viable Chevrolet dealer network.

Sorry.. I'm beginning to think through how I'd fight that battle.... and it's not mine to fight! :cool:

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah! Of course. So they aren't refusing the work, just to manage the warranty? If that's the case, maybe just ask if Chevrolet will refund the Vauxhall dealer. This is no different to any other dealer, they have to send an invoice for the work, and get refunded by the concessionaire. I can't see what difference it'd make who the money is sent to if there is no longer a viable Chevrolet dealer network.

Sorry.. I'm beginning to think through how I'd fight that battle.... and it's not mine to fight! :cool:
I tried this last year when this first happened. The best they offered was a courtesy car and a free service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had "service high voltage charging system" come up yesterday evening. After reading through some on the other threads I checked my coolant level and all seems ok, what did occur to me was that I twice yesterday, used the pre conditioning whilst charging and it was during the second time of use, that the above message came up and I now can't charge , I have also noticed that the charge door does not open as smoothly as it did when I initially got the car, I've noticed this since the drop in the temperature ...

Anyway as I work not too far from Vauxhall Wimbledon I have now booked the car in (2 days they say) after explaining the above to them.

My questions are, is this normally a 2 day job? and is anything they subsequently find related to the "high voltage charging system" covered under the 8 year warranty?

Thanks for looking

·
23,090 Posts
My flap is the same. The rubber catches on the socket, it is a poor design (they could fix it very easily by simply designing a better rubber boot). So, yes, it gets 'scrapy' in the cold. I'd suggest telling them to leave the charge flap alone, they can only make it worse!!

If the coolant levels are OK, it really could be anything. You'll have to let the [their] diagnosis kit tell you.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
My questions are, is this normally a 2 day job? and is anything they subsequently find related to the "high voltage charging system" covered under the 8 year warranty?
My understanding is yes, anything allied to it being electric drive.

·
On a journey....
74 Posts
I had Wimbledon do my services and their guy Peter worked on the car - I thought he was really good and informative. He's a fan of the car so I think he likes customers who want to talk to him about it! Nothing like getting to the actual mechanic who works on your car in my opinion! FYI, Peter did the charge flap under warranty during the service and it's been perfect since then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks all for your replies so far.
I have had a call back from Vauxhall Wimbledon just now after taking the car in this morning and they say it's the high voltage charging loom which has failed.

They tell me this is not covered under the 8 year warranty , but I disagree as I think this is a part of the electric charging system, hence the name.

Can anybody advise on this and I where I might stand? I am also going to be contacting Vauxhall customer services in the meantime. But any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's what I thought too. I just called Vauxhall customer services, but they can't answer comprehensively just yet as the one I spoke with needed to consult another member of staff.

I just want to know for sure then stand my ground, as it really didn't make any sense to me what was said initially from Wimbledon.

Thanks Russ.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car is at bellinger in wantage at the moment. They seem really good to be honest. I'll post the outcome when I know

1 - 20 of 100 Posts