Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opened my copy of CAR Magazine last week to rather unhappily find this printed as their Letter Of The Month:

It's about time we got some inconvenient facts about electric vehicles out into the open. Three-hundred miles does not solve the range-anxiety problem if it takes 90 minutes to recharge.

Let's say we could recharge in 12 minutes, just long enough for a cup of coffee. That means to recharge 90kWh (Tesla, for instance) we need a power input of 450kW (nearly 2000A at 230V, don't try this at home, it's 20 times what your house's main fuse will carry). Twelve minutes is still about four times longer than it takes to fill a fuel tank, so a six-pump filling station has to become a 24-point recharging station to get the same throughput.

There are about 10,000 filling stations in the UK, so that's around 240,000 charging points. If they're all active at once (6pm on a Friday), that's 108GW. Where are you going to put another hundred or so big power stations, and what are they going to burn? It's ironic that California (where I hear the Tesla is very popular) gets a fair chunk of its electricity from dirty coal-fired power stations next door in Nevada.

Hydrogen makes more sense.​

So obviously there's a lot of nonsense in there, such as the notion that an EV immediately makes no sense if any fraction of it is powered by coal, or that they need 90 minutes on a rapid charger, or that similar car throughput to a petrol station is required, or that final point which @dpeilow can poke a vast multitude of holes in.
It also ignores technologies such as battery storage at charging sites, and vehicle-to-grid integration.

I'm planning on writing in to the magazine, but as there are some considerably more knowledgeable people than myself in here, I was hoping some of you might chime in with opinions and technical discussion.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
Don't forget to include the point that getting a full 90+kWh charge at a stop-off in a journey should only normally be necessary for drivers doing a minimum of 600 miles in one go. And driving the entire distance (which would take a whole day) without a stop for food, rest, toilet or (other than the one mid-range stop) for any fluid. This would be very much the minority of trips. If everyone had a small petrol pump at home there would be virtually no petrol stations elsewhere! Oh... and I am sure @dpeilow will be able to explain about the 15-minute hydrogen filling time meaning that you would need 24 hydrogen pumps with an immense industrial plant producing the cryogenic hydrogen needed for those pumps - this plant would probably be bigger than the an entire motorway service station!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes, indeed. The letter simply ignores two inconvenient facts:
- most of the charging will be going on at home
- chargers don't have to be at filling stations, they can anywhere with an electricity supply: friends, supermarkets, council car parks, hotels, B&Bs, restaurants etc etc

·
open source sustainable company
617 Posts
12minutes for a cup of coffee?

That is the biggest lie in the whole letter
Damn lies I say, 1-2 minutes farting around to park, 2 mins rummaging, undoing seat belt, locking car, loses wallet (then find again, phew) 2- 3 mins to walk to service stop, 3-9 mins fannying about oohing and aahing at the food/drinks options (possible 10-20 minute family meltdown can be added here for non-decisions on what to eat/drink), 3-5 mins to buy a coffee, 10 minimum to drink, a good 20-30 mins minimum in my minds eye.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Most people who haven't owned EVs find it really hard to get their head around been able to 'refuel' their car in the comfort of their own bed whilst asleep.

Don't blame them too much, must have been similar reaction when the first cars did appear and all the horse owners complained about having to find this liquid called petrol to refuel rather than just water and hay :).

Bless them, one day they'll get it, till than some one has to keep on paying fuel duty!!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I see misinformation in journalism all the time with regards to EVs. I do write and tell a lot of them, although I tend to just sigh most of the time and leave it at that, to my shame. To be fair most do amend their articles, albeit mostly just removing the wrong information and not replacing it with the correct stuff, because they don't understand the subject they are writing about.

Maybe we should have a forum on here specifically for pointing out bad EV journalism (because we haven't got enough separate forums already ;) ), so that the most qualified can volunteer to put them straight.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
And don't get me started on youtube comments... that could have another separate forum all of its own. :D

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Since when did a Rapid use single phase 230v?

3 phase 400v please!

·
Registered
355 Posts
These troll articles are desperate cries for attention "Freddie ate my hamster" style, I think the views expressed reflect those of increasingly alienated Luddites.

Just laugh at them ....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts