Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody

I picked up my new GTE last week, a few issues you wouldn’t expect with a £34k car already been into Volkswagen for the day for diagnostics and now booked for a week on the 26th for more test... main issue the batteries do not charge past 21 miles showing full and I only get a 12 mile, I’m getting a judder also when the Car is moving slowly. I am hopeful the technical team will resolve a little frustrating.

My main issue is the car net connects to my WLAN no problem but after an hour...ish is won’t connect, so the APP is useless. I know it’s not the Wi-fi because as soon as I turn on the ignition it connects straight away. Does anybody else has this issue.

I will say apart from my car issues. I love the car it can only get better when they sort the battery out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Forgive me if I am asking the obvious but is the 21 miles with the heater on and heated mirrors - if so it’s normal.

and the 12 mike range, what sorts of roads/speeds? If you are in 50-70mph zones and/or enjoying the buzz of the instant acceleration then again 12 miles not that unusual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it’s driving around town with everything off, VW agree there is an issue. Especially as it doesn’t register over 21 miles when full. The technical team do believe I should be getting around 20-24 miles on a full charge running the same conditions around town.

·
Registered
260 Posts
With the climate control panel on 21 miles displayed at full charge is normal. If it's definitely switched off then you have a problem. Carnet is legendary for intermittent connectivity, don't worry. It's not fixable!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oddly enough logged in to carnet tonight and it seems to have been upgraded. Anyone else?
And the 21 mile thing - with heating on that's about right, 28 without at current temperatures. No offence intended , and echoing DrMagical and others - but it takes a while for to work out how everything interacts.

Otherwise it's a shame you're not getting full enjoyment out of what is to me a brilliant piece of engineering. I have almost forgotten what a petrol station looks like, which is, believe me, a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With regards car net I did have loads of issues using both my phone (tethering) as well as a USB Wingle (huawei e8372) connected to the 12v socket in the boot. It was very hit and miss and would sometimes connect straight away and other times not at all. Anyway I have just swapped from EE to a £12 Three 3gb for 3 months data only sim and it now connects instantly everytime and works (so far) as it should.

·
Registered
491 Posts
With regards car net I did have loads of issues using both my phone (tethering) as well as a USB Wingle (huawei e8372) connected to the 12v socket in the boot. It was very hit and miss and would sometimes connect straight away and other times not at all. Anyway I have just swapped from EE to a £12 Three 3gb for 3 months data only sim and it now connects instantly everytime and works (so far) as it should.
Hi, you post confuses me a little. You say you have a wifi dongle in the boot, it is powered only when the car ignition is on? The cars nav/crapnet will only connect to the wifi dongle when the ignition is on? So, does your phones crapnet app connect with the car for turning on charging/heating/refreshing at all times? Say first thing in the morning to turn the pre heating on from your bed? As I don't see how the wifi dongle helps when the car ignition is switched off? If the car is switched on then you don't need remote access, as you are in the car! Also whilst in the car you may as well connect the nav to your own phone and use its data connection?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks DrMagical and Andy-2017. Feel stupid now!!

Your right switched off the climate this morning and it jumped from 21 to 27. Drove my standard 31 miles to work. Average speed 32mph never once went over 60mph

First 3 miles in battery, then 6.5 in hybrid, 10 in Battery until the ran out. Final 11.5 miles in hybrid but obviously the batteries were flat. Averaged 113mpg but still dropped 20 miles over the petrol range.

On my way home did the first 2 miles in battery, 10 miles in hybrid then 4 miles in battery, left it 5 miles in hybrid to get closer to home and did the final 10 in battery, got home with 4 miles left on battery rand and only 15 miles off the petrol range, 137mpg, obviously better in the evening than the morning.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
You're getting great mpg. Don't get hung up on the actual miles you're able to do on battery alone, it's going to be poor in winter!! I also notice the range goes down in hybrid even when the engine is running, the battery is still in use. You may notice the engine tops up the battery a little from time to time.
Hope you enjoy the car. I'm really enjoying mine, best car I've ever owned. The quality is fantastic. Ride is great. No rattles or squeaks! Economy great on short journeys and super nippy when you want it to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see the update to car net has not made any difference to the connection issue. I do agree a great car though.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,985 Posts
Picked my car up last Friday.

Car-net issue I have is it works fine, until the car has finished a charge, at which time it's as if the car gets shut down and can't be woken up until I take it for a spin.

This is reproducible and I will let my dealer know about it, and I expect nothing will be done about it :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Picked my car up last Friday.

Car-net issue I have is it works fine, until the car has finished a charge, at which time it's as if the car gets shut down and can't be woken up until I take it for a spin.

This is reproducible and I will let my dealer know about it, and I expect nothing will be done about it :)
Picked up my car on Tuesday. I seem to have the same problem. First thing in the morning after being on charge the app says that it is connected to the car and updated. However the range still says the same as the night before as if the car has not charged even though it has. Also the app will not activate the stationary air con. Once the car has been unlocked and switched on the app updates to show the correct mileage range with a fully charged battery. It’s as you say, the car seems to get shut down and can’t be woken up until you physically start the car. I look forward to any comments others have to say.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is the internal cellular modem which shuts down / goes to sleep (I believe it is on the Vodafone network) which then prevents the app working correctly. Dragging the update bar down and holding for 3 seconds within the app is supposed to wake the car but doesn't. The really annoying part is there doesn't appear to be a pattern or any kind of methodology behind the operation of the modem and when it shuts down. My other car Volvo XC90 stays alive for days and begins to shut down after no use on day 5 but prior to this the app informs me it is going to sleep.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is the internal cellular modem which shuts down / goes to sleep (I believe it is on the Vodafone network) which then prevents the app working correctly. Dragging the update bar down and holding for 3 seconds within the app is supposed to wake the car but doesn't. The really annoying part is there doesn't appear to be a pattern or any kind of methodology behind the operation of the modem and when it shuts down. My other car Volvo XC90 stays alive for days and begins to shut down after no use on day 5 but prior to this the app informs me it is going to sleep.
Thanks for your reply. Do you mean that the car uses a Vodafone connection to the internet? I am not using a mobile connection. I am using my iPad just with internet connection to connect to the car. As mentioned before once the car has woken up the app appears to work fine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The car does not need an external wifi/hotspot connection for basic Carnet operation. Its has its own inbuilt sim/modem. The issues are more fundamental than whether you connect the car to an external wifi/hotspot as this is only used for more enhanced features of the Carnet offer.

The crux of its issues is that the hardware signal is weak and the system goes to sleep.

My car goes into the dealer next Monday and they have it for all week to fix it. Lets see.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
The car does not need an external wifi/hotspot connection for basic Carnet operation. Its has its own inbuilt sim/modem. The issues are more fundamental than whether you connect the car to an external wifi/hotspot as this is only used for more enhanced features of the Carnet offer.

The crux of its issues is that the hardware signal is weak and the system goes to sleep.

My car goes into the dealer next Monday and they have it for all week to fix it. Lets see.....
Thanks. I look forward to your comments after the car has been in to the dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really bizarre experience this morning so hoping someone may be able to replicate my actions.

Left car on the drive last night charging (from about 18:00), anyway looking out of my bedroom window I awoke this morning to a frozen but fully charged GTE. Opened car net app on phone (android) and rather than just trying to start air conditioning and window heating which I didn't expect to work as it never has before I flashed the lights. 30 seconds later the lights on the car flashed. I then activated the air conditioning and window heating all within 15 seconds. Normally the car/app wouldnt want to know and I have no timers set.

Update
4 minutes in and the car has started heating up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Car app shouldn’t be dependent on a depar5ure time being set, what you expererienced is what should happen when it’s working properly.

I find that the car switches the heating on within 30 secs of activating the app as I can hear my wallbox click on, but somemes the app stills says it’s syncronising for a few mins.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts