Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any issues registering a GTE on Car-Net?

I'm using the iOS app. I get as far as it recognising my car, and asking for the mileage (in km), but then get an error message - "Car-Net account configuration incorrect".

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
a) Have you tried via the internet website from a laptop etc ( or laptop )--- and not via the app ?

b) bear with me on this one:
i) go to car, sit in, turn on the ignition, in the centre console system go to CAR, settings, units and change to km so the speedo, trip, total-Odo etc read in km. Count to ten ( trust me).
ii) as you then turn off the ignition, note the Odo km reading
iii) go back gain to car net registration , and enter the km reading number you took in (ii)
see if that works.

Something to do with some cars needing to send to VW a km reading, rather than in miles via the built in SIM.
Turning the ignition off seems to trigger a data refresh send to the VM carnet server.

·
Registered
997 Posts
@gladini 's advice is very good and i know has worked for some here.

In some cases it is just rubbish though - and the registration process is annoying for most! For me it was just a case of patience. Once I got the code after registering on the website, it took about 6 tries in 3 different sessions for me to get the car to accept the code when prompted. Didn't do anything differently each time, just seemed to want 24 hours to think about it...!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you @gladini - it worked! I had to use Safari rather than Chrome (on my Mac) and enter km in the mileage box.

So, the next question is - how does it actually work?
Is there a SIM built into the car?
How is the connection achieved when I've not set anything up?

It says my subscription is £0, and expires in Sep-18, when the car is three years old. What happens then?

·
Registered
997 Posts
@gladini 's advice is very good and i know has worked for some here.

In some cases it is just rubbish though - and the registration process is annoying for most! For me it was just a case of patience. Once I got the code after registering on the website, it took about 6 tries in 3 different sessions for me to get the car to accept the code when prompted. Didn't do anything differently each time, just seemed to want 24 hours to think about it...!
Realised this could be misinterpreted! Car Net is rubbish, not @gladini ‘s advice :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thank you @gladini - it worked! I had to use Safari rather than Chrome (on my Mac) and enter km in the mileage box.

So, the next question is - how does it actually work?
Is there a SIM built into the car?
How is the connection achieved when I've not set anything up?

It says my subscription is £0, and expires in Sep-18, when the car is three years old. What happens then?
It has a built in SIM and you don’t need to do anything other than download the app. It’s great when it works but can be pretty unreliable!

You can pay a subscription beyond the first three years but for now it’s included in the purchase of the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for explaining @GTEJesper

Next question... should I have a Car-Net icon on the Discover Pro nav in the car? If so, how do I set this up?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks for explaining @GTEJesper

Next question... should I have a Car-Net icon on the Discover Pro nav in the car? If so, how do I set this up?

Not sure what you mean " have an icon" -- are you expecting to use CarNet functions, from within the car ?

If that's what you mean, no, you use the eManager subsection of the CAR menu
Press CAR, then second icon along the bottom of the screen from the left.
Which of course, look nothing like the setup of the CarNet app or website functions.

But eManager is where you set up charging options, functions, and Timers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Not sure what you mean " have an icon" -- are you expecting to use CarNet functions, from within the car ?

If that's what you mean, no, you use the eManager subsection of the CAR menu
Press CAR, then second icon along the bottom of the screen from the left.
Which of course, look nothing like the setup of the CarNet app or website functions.

But eManager is where you set up charging options, functions, and Timers.
Worth adding that confusingly you will have a ‘Car Net’ option in the Discover Pro menu but this is different to the Car Net on your phone! Essentially it’s in-car internet (POIs, weather, news etc) and requires a separate SIM card or your mobile phone to be connected as a mobile hotspot (which you can connect in Settings —> WLAN)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you (again) @gladini
Yes, I was looking for an icon on Discover Pro, inside the car. I will try that tonight.

@GTEJesper I don't have a separate SIM, but I have connected my Discover Pro to my phone, using the latter as a WiFi hotspot. But no CarNet icon appears. Is there something I need to configure?

·
Registered
997 Posts
The Car Net icon should always be there when you select ‘menu’ reagardeless if you are hooked up or not. I think mine is on the second page of icons when you scroll right, but I have the standard Discover Nav 8in not new pro.

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after a long conversation with VW's Car-Net support, it appears that my GTE wasn't spec'd from the factory with Car-Net on the Discover Pro. And it can't be retro fitted.

But I can still use the app.

Quite how the car and app communicate is a mystery to me and the VW team.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
But I can still use the app.

Quite how the car and app communicate is a mystery to me and the VW team.
There's a little Troll in cars like yours. He lives under the bonnet, and when you're not looking he dashes out and waves various colour flags up at a clever VW Satellite which knows where the Troll cars are.
That way "they" know about your car.
"They" blast him with a Beatles song at a frequency we can't hear, if they need to change status in the car ( stop charging, start heating etc) . Hey Jude for start charging. Get Back for stop.

This also explains why your neighbours' cat goes wild at random times, that match when you ask the App to change a status of the car.

Or, there is a factory installed SIM hidden deep in the car, which sends sms texts to VW, and can receive + interpret return ones. ( per GTEJesper append #6 above )

Lot of people think they have the Troll version as the comms route seems a bit unreliable and it could be their Troll has a poorly arm and is a bit deaf.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhhh, thank you @gladini ;)

That explains a lot. And perhaps this Troll is also mischievously stealing my EV battery range too :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts