Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
How is the Kona supposed to be used in very cold temps, -25 -30 C? Is it safe to have the car outside and not used in these temps, or must it be connected/driven if so?
If I remember correctly I’ve read earlier that a Tesla shouldn’t be outside longer than 24 h in -30 C without beeing connected.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
Take a look at Bjorn's videos. Being in Norway he reviews EVs, incl Kona in below zero temperature - including sleeping overnight on some of them. I think he did one on a Tesla at -36. Start with
perhaps.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,410 Posts
-30°C is extremely low temperature. I don't think there is a regular car that can survive being left at that temperature.

TeslaBjorn is a good source for info, as he has lots of experience with various makes/models.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello!
How is the Kona supposed to be used in very cold temps, -25 -30 C? Is it safe to have the car outside and not used in these temps, or must it be connected/driven if so?
If I remember correctly I’ve read earlier that a Tesla shouldn’t be outside longer than 24 h in -30 C without beeing connected.
Lol, this is my typical temperature for at least 4-5 months of the year in central Canada. Our Kona was outside all of last winter and it did just perfectly fine being used daily. In our market the EV comes with a 2 Kw traction battery heater, it typically turns itself on when the battery pack temperature drops below -17C. It will turn itself on even if the car is not connected to an EVSE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, this is my typical temperature for at least 4-5 months of the year in central Canada. Our Kona was outside all of last winter and it did just perfectly fine being used daily. In our market the EV comes with a 2 Kw traction battery heater, it typically turns itself on when the battery pack temperature drops below -17C. It will turn itself on even if the car is not connected to an EVSE.
We don't have that temperature for as so long as you, but for 1-2 months we usually have it. As I understand it there is no need to use the vehicle in a different way during the winter if you're using it daily. My question was more if you need to leave the vehicle, say for a weekend or a week, is that OK for the battery when it's -30 C or does it need to be connected. As there is nothing in the manual about this, I just guess it's not a problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, the manual is missing lots of other things as well. It would seem prudent to leave it on AC charge with a suitable charge limit and off-peak timer set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts