Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after owning the Model 3 for about a year and a half now, it's naturally developed some stone chips and a few minor scratches here and there. None of it is massively visible, certainly not from a distance but they are noticeable when you're up close. So I was trying to find a reputable store/seller that sells touch up paint but I'm struggling. My go to place is usually Halfords but they don't do Tesla cars. I found THIS on Amazon but it's incredibly expensive (£40) for what it is and it's only got one suspicious review. And as we all know, things from amazon are questionable, God knows whether it's genuine or not as a lot of it is Chinese crap.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows of a genuine and reputable online shop that they've ordered from that sells touch up paint? Or perhaps something you've ordered from Amazon that you can vouch for. Much appreciated. My Model 3 is the Midnight Silver colour.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So after owning the Model 3 for about a year and a half now, it's naturally developed some stone chips and a few minor scratches here and there. None of it is massively visible, certainly not from a distance but they are noticeable when you're up close. So I was trying to find a reputable store/seller that sells touch up paint but I'm struggling. My go to place is usually Halfords but they don't do Tesla cars. I found THIS on Amazon but it's incredibly expensive (£40) for what it is and it's only got one suspicious review. And as we all know, things from amazon are questionable, God knows whether it's genuine or not as a lot of it is Chinese crap.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows of a genuine and reputable online shop that they've ordered from that sells touch up paint? Or perhaps something you've ordered from Amazon that you can vouch for. Much appreciated. My Model 3 is the Midnight Silver colour.
I haven't tried it myself but I gather Chipex is highly recommended: - Chipex UK | World's Leading Car Touch Up & Scratch Repair Kits - Chipex UK

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used ChipEx paints on my last two cars and my wifes car. It is expensive but it does present a better finish than using a regular touch up paint. You clean the area, apply the provided paint with the sticks, leave for a minute or two to dry (time dependant) and then clean of the excess with the provided solution. Repeat on the same chip if necessary. It's obviously never going to be as good as a respray but if you take your time, it does give good results.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also used Chipex for my Model 3 in MSM a couple of months ago, happy to share a before and after picture below. As you can see, one chip out of the three is almost perfect, the other 2 are good enough for now but I didn't make quite such good job, but will try a second application once temperatures are a bit more back to normal... just wish I knew where they came from in the first place.

IMG_3397 2.jpeg IMG_3398 2.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also used Chipex for my Model 3 in MSM a couple of months ago, happy to share a before and after picture below. As you can see, one chip out of the three is almost perfect, the other 2 are good enough for now but I didn't make quite such good job, but will try a second application once temperatures are a bit more back to normal... just wish I knew where they came from in the first place.

View attachment 147471 View attachment 147472
The other two just look like they need filled out a bit more. Sometimes you need to layer it as you remove the paint in the chip while removing the excess paint around the chip.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've used Chipex kits on a number of cars, including my pearl-metallic NSX and white M3 - they are very good indeed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Looks like Chipex is highly recommended despite being somewhat expensive. But I guess you get what you pay for. I'll fork out the £40 in that case and I'll buy it from Amazon. Hopefully it's as good as everyone says it is :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts