Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do you have Carplay or Android Auto working on your car?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to clarify whether CarPlay/Android Auto is software/firmware version specific and or requiring newer hardware.

The Service Manager at my supplying dealer thinks it was only available on the 2017 model year because it has underlying hardware dependencies that were not in the earlier cars.

Personally I hope it is purely dependant on an appropriate software update similar to that being offered as Free download in the states.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion here though.
Android Auto & Apple Carplay Again

So quite simply
Who has it working irrespective of whether you use it or not?

I have started a poll
If you answered yes:
What month & year is your car?
What version of software is your head unit running - add screen shot if poss please e.g

mine as purchased is apparently dated 5th Feb 2015 and definitely does not have it afaik

IMG_0421.JPG

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ooooo I just read this
2017 Map / Software updates

"- All platforms must receive both software and map updates combined.
- Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to Bluetooth compatibility, additional features e.g. connected services and bug fixes.
- The package includes Android Auto and Apple CarPlay for those vehicles with head unit / steering wheel compatibility. (Please PM us your VIN if you'd like us to check)"

So once I have signed up to that Forum I will hopefully be able to get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,574 Posts
@Keith Alexander So the date is written backwards in the last 6 digits on the top row by s/w version then. That means both our cars have the same date 5th Feb 2015. Mines a used March 2016 car, may I ask when yours says it was first registered?

·
Registered
687 Posts
@Keith Alexander So the date is written backwards in the last 6 digits on the top row by s/w version then. That means both our cars have the same date 5th Feb 2015. Mines a used March 2016 car, may I ask when yours says it was first registered?
WOW, if this is correct that the Date of my software is the last 6 digits backwards.

S/W ver 16/06/14
Firmware 11/06/14

My car must be the oldest on here :unsure: My car is registered Oct 14

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
@Keith Alexander Just read your posts over at that forum, very well done and I bet you dont get told the age of the map updates that are "NEW" It won't matter though I suppose if you can use Google/Apple maps instead will it. I mean who would use a map with no live information in 2017 if they didn't have too.

·
Registered
687 Posts
@buck eejit @Keith Alexander is done a great post on page 9 of the link he put in above, go have a look.
Just did Bud, Really looking forward to the reply if they do. As my dealer also told me, and even went and checked with the Master EV mechanic if my car was fully up to date. If this info above is correct about date. They haven't bothered their A** keeping my car up to date. Basically Lied to me.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Just did Bud, Really looking forward to the reply if they do. As my dealer also told me, and even went and checked with the Master EV mechanic if my car was fully up to date. If this info above is correct about date. They haven't bothered their A** keeping my car up to date. Basically Lied to me.
Yes it will be interesting seeing how they word their reply. If it is now available at £25 it will be the last time I will ever update the maps thats for sure. Google/Apple from then on.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am taking a stab at guessing they are all dates.
If I am right then there are what looks like 4 obvious dates in mine but the Nav version is meaningless

However I removed the SD card from the car and inserted it into a card reader.
In a folder called "VR" is a file called "SDS.ENV"

Open it with Notepad or better still Excel
My map is ver EUR.07.48.65.001.001
The file header contains these dates:

//VERSION INFO EU.ALL.PR.140522
//LPDB NAVI VERSION INFO VDE_20140617
//MAP VERSION 13Q4

The last one is probably the most telling
That to me reads as Quarter 4 in the distant year of 2013!

None of the other files on the SD card are newer than 2014 so a compilation including a slightly older map version makes sense.

So now to get my paws on the newest version and frankly I will be damned surprised if the new map is < 6 months old but anything from last year will do for starters.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
March 2016 - its not been updated since the day it left the factory or since it went through PDI here in the UK.

This is nothing surprising to me and is the reason I am chipping away at this til I get an answer one way or another.

I am an Ex Avionics Engineer and I now run my own IT consultancy
I used to be the technical moderator for the Rover 75 and ZT owner club.
I owned a Landrover T4 diagnostic system and often I would work on cars that had not even been configured correctly during PDI.

I also was one of the original team that worked on the BMW Nav CD and DVD based Firmware circa 2006 to add personalised splash screens and later speed cameras as POIs so sorting this out at least to the point I get a definitive answer should be easy.

The trick is to learn to speak the correct KIA language.

A bit worrying no ones said they do have Car Play or Android Auto running though!

Also not impressed with the amount of reported firmware or map upgrade failures on the other forum either that suggests the dealers are not that familiar with the Kia diags kit or the upgrade process or both.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
@Keith Alexander Thanks for plugging away at this. Did you also notice that this provided free together with map updates for life to customers in the US. Seems a cheek to charge us £25 but I will pay just for Google Maps. I have never found a rapid on our cars maps, and imagine there werent that many around in 2013 so that would explain it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to look at the format for storing POI data at a later date there are a few files that look readable in human form.
Who knows, may be it will be easy to add to.

The beauty of this is, it on SD - much easier than faffing about writing a DVD to test anything repeatedly

Oh and the card is 4x speed so deffo need to try a 10X card one day ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also think charging any amount of money to update something that is clearly way out if date is a bit naughty but especially so on a dealer sale! At that point in time the car really ought to be fully up to date especially if part of the upgrade includes bug fixes or feature enhancements.

But if I have to pay then so be it one advantage with doing so if you have some comeback if they cock anything up.

My 5 series came with 3 years of BMW connecteddrive services + RTTI, Email Internet etc and Map updates for the current range are also included as over the air upgrade, my car is a bit older so a manual process but they are still a doddle to DIY at no cost.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts