Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this make anyone else annoyed?

Find it particularly a nuisance when trying to get charging cables connected etc. Real shame the charging
flap doesn’t seem to have any sensors in it.

I’m finding myself leaving a door slightly ajar so the car doesn’t lock itself until I’m ready for it to. What particularly bothers me is each time it’s locking it’s using a motor to move the wing mirrors in. It’s just asking for trouble that they will wear out too soon having to keep locking and unlocking ( even more so considering need to lock to trigger the charge sequence ).

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Plug the lead into the charger, unlock the car using the key fob, open the flap, remove the bung, plug cable in. Then the car wil lock after what appears to be the industry standard 30 seconds and it will start charging. If I unlock too soon then yes it is annoying.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,311 Posts
Yup, same with Kia Soul.

As I said when I first got the car, it's like no-one has actually tried living with the car before they released it for sale. Unlock in the morning, put the lead neatly away (it only takes me 10 seconds, not like I am taking ages) and the car's locked itself again. So just got in the habit of unlocking and (pointlessly) opening and closing a door. doh!

Should be user settable, or press 'open' twice or something.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, these first world issues are so demanding :)
If that was the bar for posting then almost every post on the entire forum need not have been written.

My goal was to see how others deal with it. I’ve learnt a lot of small but useful tips on this forum and wondered if there might be something I was missing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, same with Kia Soul.

As I said when I first got the car, it's like no-one has actually tried living with the car before they released it for sale. Unlock in the morning, put the lead neatly away (it only takes me 10 seconds, not like I am taking ages) and the car's locked itself again. So just got in the habit of unlocking and (pointlessly) opening and closing a door. doh!

Definitely agree with that statement about having not lived with it. So many small details like the overly loud radio ( I found the equaliser hack didn’t work for me ) at start up, the bongs, the warnings occurring that you’ve left your keys when you’re IN the car with the keys and a passenger gets out and on and on lol.

Owning this car is an exercise in patience. I’m sure some aspects must really be annoying some folks on a daily basis.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plug the lead into the charger, unlock the car using the key fob, open the flap, remove the bung, plug cable in. Then the car wil lock after what appears to be the industry standard 30 seconds and it will start charging. If I unlock too soon then yes it is annoying.
Thanks for the practical tip whilst out and about although I’m increasingly finding myself avoiding trying on public chargers as much as I can as it’s so unreliable.

I find myself approaching chargers now and feeling a sense of glee if I find one that works. I think it’s mostly charge your car network I have issues with. I’m using Polar Plus for it and constantly get ‘tag not recognised’ or something. I go through the routine of ringing them, they tell me no your account looks in order, we can’t remotely contact the post so must be the post etc.

Yet on some when I look other say they have successfully charged but it’s been over a month ago so can’t be rule if it’s a new fault or what etc etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've never had it lock on me yet , didn't realise that it does self -lock?
It gets even weirder as on my ICE ZS, if I use the boot release button on my key fob but then I don't open the tailgate within I think 10 seconds, upon opening the tailgate the car alarm will be triggered.

The only way to sort this out is to fit an automatic tailgate opener so that the car knows not to re-engage the car alarm.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’m increasingly finding myself avoiding trying on public chargers as much as I can as it’s so unreliable.
I expected there might have been issues with public charging but while I waited for my home charge point (which has been challenging - read other posts on PodPoint) I've had no issue at all the past 6 weeks with PodPoint or Polar 7 kW chargers and use them every time I go out in the car locally. I have free charging for up to 3 hours at my local Sainsbury thanks to 4 bays of PodPoint which will give 15 minutes instant charge without even using an app or card and if you quickly select the named post in the easy to use PodPoint app within that 15 minutes then you're good for the 3 hour limit set by Sainsbury not PodPoint. The Podpoint App will also track your usage with is useful and if you also have PodPoint Home Charger you can see the charging history side by side and even now I've got Home Charge point I'm using more free kWhs than paid for!
When I go to the gym in the morning I can park 2 minutes walk away in Assda's carpark where there are 4 bays of Polar wich I use a free RFID card to access. I'm still in the free 3 months but after that, I can continue to use it for a subscription of £7.50 a month which I probably not justified solely on the 5-6 hours a week local charging (which is break-even with Octopus Go) but it also gives 10 to 15p lower cost per kWh at the excellent Polar Rapid Chargers I use for my longer trips enroute.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i've never had it lock on me yet , didn't realise that it does self -lock?
If you've not had it self-lock then maybe you do what I do. I usually have something with me when I go out to the car and unlock the car and open the door directly to pop it in the car - often times I'll have some bag or other and if public charging at 7 kW post I'll pop the tailgate ready to put the charging cable back in its slipcase before I collect it at the front of the car from the charge post.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It does lock quickly, but then all cars do these days. Not really had it as an issue as I drive up to said charging point, get my cable out, plug in and get on with my day. Struggling to imagine why the car would be locked at a charging point before it is plugging in anyway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it’s been an issue for me because I’ve had many issues with public chargers not working.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Crap infrastructure is a nightmare, I agree. I am lucky in that we have 30+ chargers at work and they are free to use for staff. I have used rapid chargers but not yet ventured to any other public network.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have some at our supermarket that work reliably so I’ll attempt a charge then. Otherwise I’m avoiding public charging as much as possible so much so I’m considering cancelling my Polar Plus account.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We have some at our supermarket that work reliably so I’ll attempt a charge then. Otherwise I’m avoiding public charging as much as possible so much so I’m considering cancelling my Polar Plus account.
I haven't bothered with Polar Plus at all. I have used Polar twice, first time one of the two chargers was out of action. The second time it kicked me off after half an hour and would not reconnect. Over the weekend their app was out of commision as well. Public charging is hit and miss these days, although, some places seem to be better than others. My brother lives in Manchester and he swears by the GMEV network. The midlands is crap for public charging and I have never managed to find a supermarket with chargers, ever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Over the weekend their app was out of commision as well.
Interesting because I drove from Essex to Rugby and back last Saturday and I used my Polar Plus (Free Subscription period) once each way at the Rapids at MK Coachway just off M1 junc 14. Checking my charging history it would seem that only one of my Rapids is showing on the Charging History so maybe the Polar system was down but chargers were on free vend (y)

·
Registered
168 Posts
They guy from Polar said the plus cards were fine, it was just the app that was down. On instant you have to use the app to trigger the charge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yup, same with Kia Soul.

All you have to do to stop the car locking its self.one,with the fob close to the drivers door press the unlock button the door unlocks.two open the door slightly then close it.The reason why it locks it's self is a safety device in case you forget to lock the car or inadvertently press the unlock button on the remote and walk off not knowing you have done it.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,726 Posts
It's really weird. My experience is that you can walk away from the car and it's stays unlocked, but go to plug it in and the minute the plug is pressed home it locks.

Zoe will stay unlocked if you walk round to the back of the car by a couple of yards, but go past the front by a couple of feet and it locks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts