Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
Still a newbie in the world of Tesla as only had the model 3 for 6 weeks as yet, and have a query on a reboot that happened yesterday, so see if anyone has experienced this....

The wife was entering a car park yesterday afternoon and when she stopped to put the lever into reverse the whole screen went blank and the stereo etc went off....she had to sit in that position for 20-30 seconds or so until everything came back to life......all normal after that

When she got home and told me I went out for a look, screen came on when entering the car and after about 10 seconds of me touching the screen, all went off and rebooted itself again....came back after 20 - 30 seconds but with no volume from radio, could get volume from Netflix etc but not the actual radio...!?

Exited the car and locked it...left for 5 mins then tried again.......all good, took it for a 15 min drive, trying reverse a few times, and all seems OK
Software is up to latest release it says

Just wondering why it would reboot like this and if anyone else has experienced it, any info welcome

thanks

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
383 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me. It shouldn't keep restarting itself. I'd log it with Tesla as a potential issue.
I’ve had one, maybe two unexpected reboots in 5 months of ownership of my present car, certainly not what you describe, as @srichards says, log it with SC

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Mine randomly rebooted the screen a couple of times, always not long after an update. I got into the habit of manually rebooting it (foot on brake, hold down both scroll wheels) after every update, as often that minimised the impact of the inevitable post-update glitches. Be aware that it is just about possible to accidentally cause it to reboot if the car is stationary, both scroll wheels are pressed down by something and the brake pedal is being pushed. Not very likely, though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
In the 18 months of owning my Model 3, I've only experienced a random reboot just once and thankfully I was stationary. It happened just as I got in my car and was about to drive off but the screen froze and it suddenly went blank. It happened quite early on of my ownership and it was a bit unsettling but I just put it down to some gremlins in the works. Plenty of software updates since and it's not happened again.

For yours to reboot itself twice in a short space of time is a bit worrying. Log it with Tesla or do a hard reboot as Jeremy said and see if that fixes the issue. Or do both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all
Logged with Tesla and got an appointment in Edinburgh for Thursday morning...they then asked I do the reboot with the scroll wheels and hold the brake
Done that and all seems good so far.......see what Thursday mornings attendance brings.

Sure they will be able to tell what / where / when the system crashed..?...there would be a log I assume...?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
There is a log, but given that crashes and reboots aren't a particularly rare thing with the Model 3, I doubt that there's anything wrong. There does always seem to be a degree of variability from car to car as to how they handle things like updates. A read through any of the big Tesla forums will show that glitches are a pretty common occurrence, some minor, some less so. Mine pretty much always messed up the headlight alignment after an update, always putting them to maximum up, so they would dazzle oncoming drivers, for example. Easily fixed by just going into the headlight adjustment screen and 9 times out of ten just starting the adjustment process would motor them back down again. I know others had the same thing happen a few times.

I ended up convinced that the best way to ensure no odd behaviour was to just do either the soft reboot (hold down the scroll wheels and brake) after every update, or do the hard reboot if something had really glitched (hold down both scroll wheels, press the brake, and keep scroll wheels and brake for around 30 seconds then release the scroll wheels but keep the brake depressed until the car comes back up again. 9 times out of 10 the soft reboot is all that's needed. I only once needed to do the hard reboot thing, and that was when someone suggested it might fix the headlights without having to readjust them (it didn't).

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
There are a number of ways to reboot the car, and the advice seems to alter from time to time. The foot on the pedal is one variation, so is unplugging any USB devices before rebooting which Tesla were advising at one point. The latest I've seen is you can also change the wheel choice in the menu (and change it back) as this seems to sort out a configuration issue. If these fail, then there are also some tips on looking at anything you have plugged in or connected as rogue MP3 files or contacts in your phone can cause problems. The software should obviously handle these things, but giving the car to Tesla to investigate and them not reproducing the fault because they don't have your phone is likely to be a fruitless execise so a bit of simple DIY sluthing can help.

I wrote this guide which explains more but the basics are above

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have owned our Tesla M3 for about 4 months. This happened to me 2 months in. I was driving along the road and the screen went blank. Pretty scary but the car continued to operate as normal. While I was looking for somewhere to safely pull off the road and check everything, it rebooted and came back again a few minutes later.
I did not know about hard reboots then. The next day everything seemed fine. Friends on this forum explained about the hard reboot, which I later tested out, but it was not needed at the time. Just a good sleep. I thought about logging it for a service call but did not bother once it was okay. Not happened since, although I was not impressed to have the car go 'blind' on me while I was driving at 50 mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts