Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and have been reading through a lot of the discussions around EV's
I currently have a 2005 honda civic, which is on its last legs and only getting between 22-25mpg. I've been looking at a few options in the last few months but still so confused. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on EV's and would prefer that. I also have a driveway, which is tight but I normally park my car there so charging wouldn't be an issue.

I'm hoping some of you will be able to give some advice on the options

1. Sign up with EVEZY and use the car long term . Possibly a Zoe, Leaf or Hyundai. The only thing putting me off besides the waiting time is the £1000 excess, which has been discussed in depth in this forum. Is there anyone here who has had a car long term from Evezy?
2. Find a lease deal where i would pay up to £250 per month. Missed out on one a few months ago with the Ioniq, which was around £190 inc maintenance
3. Buy a hybrid for around 9-10k maybe an auris hybrid? I don't want to spend that much but it would be my car, however I would have to cover the maintenance and service
4. Just buy a small 1.4 or similar car

Most of the driving is local and school runs so around 4k-5k a year.

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response Tandy. I did see a few Zoe's and Leaf's i'm just worried about the battery health for a car that's over 8-9 years old or because i would be paying around £50+ a month for the battery lease it would be close to 100%?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Mitsubishi / Peugeot / Citroen clones and a cheap LEAF24 would meet your needs. I understand your battery health concerns, but how confident are you regarding the engine / gearbox etc. health of an ICE? Clearly your Civic is in a very poor state of health but you have continued with it - why not an EV? Do you have the ability to charge at home and what is your normal journey? If the answer is No and more than 70 miles/day then stick with a cheap ICE and accept that you'll be a social pariah and subject to taxation to discourage such behaviour. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my civic for over 6 years and its been mainly used for local driving and covered around 30k. It's a 2 litre petrol so not economical at all. On average we do around 100 miles a week .
If I was to get an EV I can charge it at home initially with the 3 pin and then get one fitted. My biggest worry is the battery health with a used EV

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Most lease deals you still have servicing costs.

9-10k gives you plenty of LEAF options

Battery health is the big scary thing the newspapers like to rant about, but realistically its not a problem for anything but the oldest gen1 leafs. The later cars fare much better, many models being hammered as taxis for years for instance. Later models also have fairly significant battery warranties.

My own LEAF (bought used) has 45k on it, at just under 3 years old, and its battery health is 93%

4 years of loan payments equivalent to the lease cost, and the car will be mine, and will still be worth likely 6k+. Also gives me the flexibility to sell it whenever i want.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for your response Tandy. I did see a few Zoe's and Leaf's i'm just worried about the battery health for a car that's over 8-9 years old or because i would be paying around £50+ a month for the battery lease it would be close to 100%?
On a leaf, if you look at the instrument panel, you can see the state of health of the battery before you buy the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all your input so far I really appreciate it.
I would prefer to buy a 9-10k EV than leasing tbh.
@Aragorn Did your purchase include the battery or is it on lease?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't rent the battery - buy outright for the mileage that you are looking at. You should get a good one for less than £7k unless you want top spec, and it will easily do the range that you require. On the assumption that you own your house and have off road parking a proper chargepoint will cost less than £300 fully fitted - a worthwhile investment. There are far more positive's than negatives - I would not change back from my LEAF24 to my previous BMW 530D. I've had to hire three times to do things that the LEAF wouldn't do - either tow a large trailer or go very long distances - in 18 months which cost less than the vehicle excise duty ("road tax") for the BMW. Oh, and the servicing is a fraction of the cost, there are fringe benefits regarding parking etc. My electric bill has gone up, but less than 10% that my diesel bill has disappeared by. Would I want a "better" EV? Yes, but whatever car you have you always want more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll spend a bit of time going through the Leaf section of the forum. Will keep an eye out on the trader and ebay as well used approved Nissan but i guess you'd pay a bit more as they provide 12 months warranty.
@dk6780 do you know who provides chargepoint for less than £300?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
9-10k gives you plenty of LEAF options

Battery health is the big scary thing the newspapers like to rant about, but realistically its not a problem for anything but the oldest gen1 leafs. The later cars fare much better, many models being hammered as taxis for years for instance. Later models also have fairly significant battery warranties.
For spread of battery health v age and v mileage, see the attachments to the first post of https://www.speakev.com/threads/the-battery-health-thread.18923/

·
Registered
101 Posts
to the forum and have been reading through a lot of the discussions round EV's
I currently have a 2005 honda civic, which is on its last legs and only getting between 22-25mpg. I've been looking at a few tions in the last few months but still so confused. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on EV's and would prefer that. I also have a driveway, which is tight but I normally park my car there so charging wouldn't be an issue.

I'm hoping some of you will be able to give some advice on the options

1. Sign up with EVEZY and use the car long term . Possibly a Zoe, Leaf or Hyundai. The only thing putting me off besides the waiting time is the £1000 excess, which has been discussed in depth in this forum. Is there anyone here who has had a car long term from Evezy?
a lease deal where i would pay up to £250 per month. Missed out on one a few months ago with the Ioniq, which was around £190 inc maintenance
3. Buy a hybrid for around 9-10k maybe an auris hybrid? I don't want to spend that much but it would be my car, however I would have to cover the maintenance and service
4. Just buy a small 1.4 or similar car

Most of the driving is local and school runs so around 4k-5k a year.

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I thought I saw a decent price on an Ioniq lease the other day from Octopus; might be worth reviewing what they currently offer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
@dk6780 do you know who provides chargepoint for less than £300?
On the assumption that you qualify for the OLEV grant (you own the property, off road parking, and haven't already claimed twice at that property), most providers do. For example, PodPoint is £279 for a 3.6kW unit, ChargedEV etc. Both sites contain details of the OLEV grant, and lots of other providers have similar deals.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
If you are so worried about the battery degradation, then a zoe with leased battery will put you at ease, suggest you buy @Sandy zoe :) ;) you go below 70% soh free new battery :)
CanZE reports my packs health as 96%. Car is still for sale, but only listed here just now as I'm in no hurry to sell. But for the right price I'll let it go and struggle for a few months on public transport until my MG arrives. I'll even chuck in the official granny charger I purchased if the price is right while you work out which home charger to install. (y)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts