Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day visiting different garages, including Renault (Zoe) Nissan (Leaf) Landrover (that's another story) and finally Vauxhall, obviously Ampera.

Salesman drove an unregistered Electron to the main door of the dealership for us to look over it. Now I had read and viewed photo's on the web about the interior but, it really shocked me when I viewed it in the flesh:eek: The plastic dash and door panels do the car no favours whatsoever, other than reduce it's appeal:(. He explained about weight saving blah,blah, blah but, surely a pound saved here or there will make absolutely no difference at all to the cars performance. Biggest problem was the Wife hated it, not so much the overall car but the cheap interior and after a quick sit in the car to appease me, she made her excuses.

Personally I really wanted to like the car but not sure I could live with the interior, after all that's where you spend 99% of your time and only 1% spent admiring it's curves. I now have my name down for the three day test drive but not sure I should now book it, as it's more than likely a waste of the salesman time:(.

Please excuse me as this was no way intended as an excuse to rubbish what I gather to be a fantastic vehicle and hopefully I have not offended all you owners:oops:

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and no offence taken.
I actually like the interior although the touch buttons are a bit geeky.
The music system is superb with hard disk recording, very good DAB reception and Bose sound.
Its just a shame that the alternatives offer even less electric only range and they tend to need the ICE when accelerating hard unlike the Ampera which has enough electric only power for all driving until the battery reaches minimum level when the ICE generator chimes in silently.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He started the engine whilst I was there and yes it was very quite but, by that time the Missus had already left:( I think she has fallen for the Zoe if I'm honest and I know I should grow a pair but, I relish a bit of peace and quiet:oops:

May go ahead with the test drive see if it's possible to win her over.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Personally I find all modern cars very plasticy, but yes, the Ampera does leave a little to be desired. Having said that, as most of my time is spent driving it, I don't see interior as I am looking out of the windows ;)

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I guess everyone has different tastes, but I like the interior of the Ampera - I much prefer it to the Prius for example. I accept not "premium" finish but the money was spent in the drivetrain not in the trim, The Cadillac version (USA only) has both but a huge price.

I think the quality is good as my previous one still looked great inside and had no rattles or squeaks after 32 months and 26K miles, and you will notice a tiny noise in such a quiet car. My friends evoke looks shabby inside after just over a year and has some noticeable rattles - and lots more has gone wrong with it than my Ampera.

I also find the Ampera driver seat one of the best I have ever had - 5 hours driving last Sunday was no problem (this shows USA design where even longer trips are commonplace)

Reactions: Lee Dalton and Russ

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
@Tony Wright – your reactions confirm how important it is to try out prospective car choices. The subtle combinations of how they look, feel and sound all influence our perceptions of whether the car is right for us or not. Characteristics that others love and rave about might be a complete turn-off.

I seriously considered buying an Ampera. For me, the ownership costs would only work out if I were to own one for eight years or longer. So many features of the driver interface already look a tad dated to my eyes that I doubted I could live with one for more than a year or two. In contrast, LEAF and Zoe finances work best for two year PCP deals so that's where I'm looking.

In contrast to @proddick, I'd never need to sit in the car for five hours so long distance seat comfort is not such a priority for me.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
He started the engine whilst I was there and yes it was very quite but, by that time the Missus had already left:( I think she has fallen for the Zoe if I'm honest and I know I should grow a pair but, I relish a bit of peace and quiet:oops:

May go ahead with the test drive see if it's possible to win her over.
Like @proddick I consider the Ampera very well finished and it is completely free of rattles. The perforated leather seats are superb with the automatic heating when it is cold and I actually like the swirls on the red door cards.

To hear that you are still considering an EV is good anyway as I am sure your mention of the Landrover dealership sent shudders through many shoulders here.
Jaguar/Landrover have had BEV's developed for a number of years but are yet to announce any for the public.

I reckon the Zoe will win as it is far prettier than any of the other choices with the added benefit of the onboard 22kW charger which I think was developed by Brusa.

The Ampera test drive should sell it to you with its great off the line capability (try sport mode) but with 'er indoors having seen the Zoe you will need to use more than your balls to sway her! :p:rolleyes:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had an Ampera on a three day test drive that turned out to be just under two days seeing as they counted the delivery and pick up times as well. I generally liked most things about it and was pretty impressed overall. Decided to go ahead and buy one six months ago, but that plan came to a screeching halt. Wife thought it was ugly and said that she would hate being in it. As a measure of self preservation and sanity retention, ended up with a IS300h, so at least I'm trying. !!! honest...

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
I had an Ampera on a three day test drive that turned out to be just under two days seeing as they counted the delivery and pick up times as well. I generally liked most things about it and was pretty impressed overall. Decided to go ahead and buy one six months ago, but that plan came to a screeching halt. Wife thought it was ugly and said that she would hate being in it. As a measure of self preservation and sanity retention, ended up with a IS300h, so at least I'm trying. !!! honest...
Look for a Volt, same car different dress:)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Blimey...interior decor is way down on my list of priorities. I do realise ladies have different priorities, so if the car is for her, then it's her choice. If it's you car, grow a pair! ;)

With ICE it's very easy to choose a car that ticks ALL your wishes, but with an EV there is much less choice and at the moment, my opinion is that all the BEVs and Rexs suit slightly different journeys and motorists. For me, a BEV wouldn't fit in with my occassional business requirements and some Rexs don't have enough ev range to do my daily commute. The only other one that would fit me is the i3 rex...but that would have been an extra £10k for similar level of 'toys'.

So what car fits your journey requirements?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car will replace a new Range Rover Sport, hence the dash problem. Sport is all aluminium and leather and a very nice place to sit. Can't say who will be the main driver as we are both retired but this would be the main car and driven on electric 95% of the time. We would still need a second vehicle as I play a lot of golf, so the wife needs to be mobile if I'm away.

Presently looking at BEV's (Leaf or Zoe) as they are substantially cheaper and have a better electric range. I could then spend a little more on a second car.

Details have come through for the test drive but I won't contact them till after Xmas, if I don't pull the trigger on one of the BEV's first.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The car will replace a new Range Rover Sport, hence the dash problem. Sport is all aluminium and leather and a very nice place to sit. Can't say who will be the main driver as we are both retired but this would be the main car and driven on electric 95% of the time. We would still need a second vehicle as I play a lot of golf, so the wife needs to be mobile if I'm away.

Presently looking at BEV's (Leaf or Zoe) as they are substantially cheaper and have a better electric range. I could then spend a little more on a second car.

Details have come through for the test drive but I won't contact them till after Xmas, if I don't pull the trigger on one of the BEV's first.
Somehow I very much doubt that any US sourced car could impress a lady used to a Range Rover Sport!
Good luck there but you should still be impressed with the fussless way the Volt/Ampera it leaves traffic standing at the lights.
Even the Sport would be stressful doing that.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
What is your daily commute? If under 30 the Outlander might be a good proposition, especially if you aren't worried about the traffic light drag race. It will be slightly less of a culture shock.

Once you get over the regen, you should be pleasantly surprised by all EVs. If range isn't an issue (and it never is in a Rex) then diesels seem like tractors afterwards.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Surely you have your priorities wrong. EV choice comes first; if partner not like your choice, change partner. There are a lot more partners out there than types of EV, at least at the moment :cool:
Harsh but true!:rolleyes:

Reactions: toms

·
Banned
1,336 Posts

I'm confused? if the car for you or the wife? If she has her own motor why does it matter what yours look like inside or out? Do you let her buy your golf clubs and clothes? (If yes to either then you are a lost cause!!)

TBA we got a Chevy Volt for my wife, she disliked the Ampera outside and was okish about it inside but loves the Volt both in and out. As the Volt's interior and door cards are all White it's a bit i-pad like inside.

M

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I suppose this would be our main car and used for 95% of our journeys (so both of us would have to be happy). The other car would still need to be a nice place to sit as it would also have to cover longer journeys. My wife is from Cambridge but we live in the North East and our Daughter lives and works in Germany. We will wait now till probably end of Feb when it makes more sense to buy, rather than having 3 cars on the drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts