Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which feature is is that slows the car down when approaching a slower car, or sometimes parked cars?

And does it apply the brake lights?

It happens with and without cruise control on, and it's not the regen when I lift my foot a bit. It's an active intervention by the car

On the whole, I think I like the feature - but I'm learning its quirks.

Yesterday, I was on a local dual carriageway in moderately heavy traffic - it was flowing about 60mph on the RH lane, about 40 on the LH lane. I was happily driving in the RH lane, overtaking slower cars on my left, when a young knob on a hairdryer-bike and all-black gear/visor appeared in my mirror. I clocked the lad, and decided because of how close he was that I couldn't slow down to slot into the LH lane speed and let him past. So I continued trundling along at 60, rather than flooring it to get to an upcoming bigger gap. Pretty standard behaviour for a busy dual I thought.

Anyway, a car pulled out from the LH lane into the RH lane in front of me - plenty of room, but the KIA clocked it and slowed down a bit, the biker - still a bit too close, but not right up my ass - then took it upon himself put his head down for aerodynamics, opened his throttle and squeezed between me and the LH traffic - still @ 60, then proceeded to give me the expected salutes. I just thought [email protected] and went on my journey.

But when I got home, I suddenly thought - I wonder if the Kia's detection & slowdown put the brake lights on, and the guy on the bike thought I was brake checking him?

In all fairness, he would have probably deserved it - but I grew out of that years ago.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Not sure I've seen this behaviour before without SCC enabled. Maybe I just never get close enough to the car in front? It definitely happens with SCC enabled though, there's a bend in the road near where I live where there's a central island and cars parked just beyond it. The car often thinks the parked car is driving and brakes automatically.

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why does it matter? You or the car were in your right to slow down?
Absolutely. I like telling stories!

I was just wondering which feature of the car slowed the car down - and does that feature enable the brake lights? It was the enabling of the brake lights question that made me refer back to the salutes.

Not sure I've seen this behaviour before without SCC enabled
There is one particular parked car just around the corner from me that always forces the car to slam on. It's a fair distance away, and it always slams on just as I'm getting ready to go past it.

Same on the open road - it often slams on and then releases when a gentle deceleration would be more appropriate.

I'd like to find out why the car is doing it, then try disabling it - just to see if it's just better switched off because of the rural nature of where we live.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Cut in detection in ACC mode. I think you can switch it off but not sure why you would

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
But when I got home, I suddenly thought - I wonder if the Kia's detection & slowdown put the brake lights on, and the guy on the bike thought I was brake checking him?
The brake light activation is based on the deceleration rate so it's likely they came on.
I believe (but have no hard evidence) that regen level 1 isn't enough but 2 and 3 are.

·
Registered
700 Posts
This could be the Smart Regen? Does the regen count say Auto? This applies regen based on cars in front etc. It applies stronger regen based on what level you're on. E.g. if on level 1 it will apply up to level 3. If you're on level 3 it won't do this.

Reactions: Richard Wood

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This could be the Smart Regen?
you might be onto something there - cruise control doesn’t get turned on until I get on the open road, but smart regen is the default. I usually remember to turn it off further into the drive, when my passengers turn green from the constant accel/deccel.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
945 Posts
you might be onto something there -
In your first post you stated this:

and it's not the regen when I lift my foot a bit. It's an active intervention by the car
Smart regen only works when you lift your foot off the pedal. It doesn't actively intervene.

About passengers turning green: you need to learn to throttle more gently with your right foot. Let the accelerator come up slowly and you'll notice regen is applied smoothly. One pedal driving is a new concept for ex petrolheads but once you're used to it it's very relaxing, both for you and you passengers.

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regen definitely isn’t a smooth thing in our car - two passengers are serial car sickers and are very sensitive to the sensation of slowing down. Even with a very light lift of the accelerator peddle, on lowest regen, it feels like an slight elastic band is attached to the back of car. That sensation of constant light deceleration/acceleration in traffic gets them both. Fwiw, I barely notice it. I know I will get better, like you say with practice, but it this combined with the generally relatively unrefined ride (on the roads round here - we have just one dual, a lot more closely resemble farm tracks!). The same could happen in the old ICE when between gears in traffic.

Re: the auto regen: I meant he may have been onto something with smart regen in that it’s applying it’s self in response to perceiving an obstacle. My foot remains on the accelerator with no change and the car suddenly slams on. I took his post to mean that the car was intending to slow down, but on auto, it whacked regen to full. If I had it set to 1, it may slow more steadily.

Maybe not - there might just happen to be obstacles which do funny things with the radar, because I have noticed it’s in the same two places where it slams on.
They are both slight curves in an otherwise straight road, so it could be a false positive the aforementioned cut-in detection?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,157 Posts
..........Even with a very light lift of the accelerator peddle, on lowest regen, it feels like an slight elastic band is attached to the back of car.........
Have you tried setting the AUTO regen off (long pull on right paddle) then set regen to 0 (short pulls on right paddle till 0 displayed)? In that state there is zero rubber band from rear effect. I was amazed just how long and far this car can coast. In fact if using that mode, you have to be quite careful as it just doesn’t want to slow down naturally when you take foot off the go pedal.

I agree about the SCC, LFA, LKA and FCW etc being a bit too trigger happy and so often getting it wrong. Yet conversely, I’ve not yet witnessed the emergency stop FCA doing it’s thing, despite my trying. Peter

Reactions: Todor
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.